Question 65OLED854 w. TAPB603 = "Not supported" for Dolby True HD through ARC?

TheSwede86

Standard Member
TV: Philips 65OLED854
^ Link to manual (PDF): here
Soundbar: Philips TAPB603
^ Link to manual (PDF): here

Hi,

So I've had my 65OLED854 and my TAPB603 for perhaps 6 months or so and I'm really happy with both devices.
I just recently started playing around with different audio formats and what is making me scratch my head is this:

According to the specifications of the soundbar here it says under "Supported Audio Formats":
HDMI ARC
  • Dolby Digital
  • Dolby Digital plus
  • LPCM 2ch
HDMI IN1/IN2
  • Dolby Atmos®
  • Dolby Digital
  • Dolby Digital plus
  • Dolby True HD
  • LPCM 2ch

So I apparently can't play Dolby True HD (the text "NOT SUPPORT" or something like that scrolls on the soundbars display) when the soundbar is connected directly to my TV using the soundbars "HDMI OUT/ARC" to any of my TVs HDMI-ports (all of them being ARC-compatible)?
When connecting from my soundbars "HDMI1" or "HDMI2" directly to my TVs any HDMI-ports I get no audio at all which kinda makes sense since I should connect it using the "HDMI OUT/ARC" on the soundbar to any of my TVs "HDMI"-ports, correct?

So then I'm totally stumped if I want to play something that has "Dolby True HD" using an app on the TV itself, I must have an external device such as a RPi and connect it to the soundbar's "HDMI1" or HDMI2"? There is no way without any external device getting "Dolby True HD" decoded?

Dolby Atmos from Netflix and movies works great and I can see that soundbar toggle the text "Dolby Atmos" whereas "Dolby True HD" just renders "NOT SUPPORT" on the soundbar with its current setup (HDMI OUT/ARC to TV:s HDMI4/ARC).

I have never been an audio-guy and wanted to buy a pretty expensive soundbar to have it handle "all" the audio formats I might run into and to lessen the clutter of "breakout" devices such as an external RPi since I can run Kodi on the TV since its running Android TV.

Best Regards / TheSwede86

TheSwede86

Standard Member
Hi,

HDMI-ARC from TV (of every vendor) does not support HD audio formats... ARC is limited... you need eARC to submit HD audio formats...

[email protected]

Thank you for your reply.
Yeah figured as much.
I'm guessing eARC must be supported both by the TV and the soundbar / receiver?
Hopefully "older" hardware (my TV and soundbar) can receive a software update to eARC since both have HDMI 2.0 (although not HDMI 2.1).

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom