65nm is go... with us in a few weeks?

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Wohoo, another article based on no facts whatsoever.

Bilbob

Wohoo, another article based on no facts whatsoever.
Yes, hence the '?' in the thread title.

Maybe you've heard of internet forums, they are for 'debate'....:D

Mr-Bananas

Why would this new chip set make the 360 any quieter ??.

If they make the thing run cooler, and then fit smaller, less noisy fans then surely they are just back to square one.

I would bet money that Microsoft will just keep using the same big fans, just to make sure the thing does not overheat.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Maybe you've heard of internet forums, they are for 'debate'....:D
Says he who just posted a link with no debate started :rotfl:

Sorry, it's just that I've seen too much "guestimating" in this part of the forum recently and it's getting a bit tedious. Didn't mean to have a dig at you in the slightest :)

SeeNoWeevil

I doubt it. As the main noise maker in the 360 is the DVD drive itself.
Exactly, why do people keep talking about fans in regards to Xbox noise!!

Secondly, I don't think we will see 65nm for a while yet.

j_s

Fans are also the noisy culprits. My first 2 consoles had noisier drives but my third is the opposite with the fans being very loud and the drive being quiet in comparison to my other consoles and other 360s I've played on.

Combatcolin

Standard Member
Give it a few more weeks yet, Microsift haveconfirmed that the 360 will go 65nm by the end of the year, which is a big enough window to work with.

Just means we have to wait a little longer.

Bilbob

Says he who just posted a link with no debate started :rotfl:

Yes, and I put it up there to be debated. Should I debate it myself? It wouldn't take long, after all, I would be right!

Sporran

I wonder when they do come will they do what sony did when the released the revised quieter ps2 (not the slim one), they put a Plus Sign in the corner of the box so you knew which one you were getting :)

funcky

I have been doing some research on the 65nm since I have sold my 360 to get a more reliable one in the future. What I found is its the cpu that will get this upgrade, these 65nm chip are suppose to be more efficient and run cooler than current 90nm. Alot of people are hoping this will fix red ring issues and what not. The thing is that the cpu has'nt really been an issue, its the gpu thats causing problems, its the gpu that needs the 65nm chip. These 65nm cpu 360s will probably make a small difference, but really it should have been the gpu getting the upgrade. This is just what I have gathered from reading some stuff at the xbox.com forums.

As for the noise issue, thats all gonna be down to luck, because u may end getting a 360 with fans louder than normal which I did. Fans in my first 2 360s were very quiet, my 3rd which I just got rid had fans loud enough to be heard over the dvd drive.

"Microsoft is removing the EE/GS hardware"

What is EE/GS?

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I have been doing some research on the 65nm since I have sold my 360 to get a more reliable one in the future. What I found is its the cpu that will get this upgrade, these 65nm chip are suppose to be more efficient and run cooler than current 90nm. Alot of people are hoping this will fix red ring issues and what not. The thing is that the cpu has'nt really been an issue, its the gpu thats causing problems, its the gpu that needs the 65nm chip. These 65nm cpu 360s will probably make a small difference, but really it should have been the gpu getting the upgrade. This is just what I have gathered from reading some stuff at the xbox.com forums.

As for the noise issue, thats all gonna be down to luck, because u may end getting a 360 with fans louder than normal which I did. Fans in my first 2 360s were very quiet, my 3rd which I just got rid had fans loud enough to be heard over the dvd drive.

It's not the GPU directly causing the problems. Excess heat leads to the motherboard warping which in turn leads to either or both the GPU and CPU chips popping out of their sockets. This in turn leads to the three or four red rings of death.

Bilbob

"Microsoft is removing the EE/GS hardware"

What is EE/GS?
It was a gag at the expense of the ps3/sony at their removal of the ps2 hardware from the ps3, to 'improve it for customer benefit'....

Oh I see, EE = Emotion Engine, dur :suicide:

durera

Give it a few more weeks yet, Microsift haveconfirmed that the 360 will go 65nm by the end of the year, which is a big enough window to work with.

Just means we have to wait a little longer.

When/where did they confirm that? I've been looking out for any real news on the new 360 hardware (tempted by an Elite, but will wait 'til the inevitable hardware upgrade first).

Desmo

Distinguished Member
A 'new' Xbox 360 from Microsoft, which previous reports have stated carries the codename 'Falcon', will begin shipping this autumn.

Well, that's according to a confident report on The Mercury News blog anyway
So their source is another news site? :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021