Question 65inch B8, C8, FZ802B (prices included)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by wilsouk, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:52 PM.

1. wilsouk

wilsouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

Just making the jump to 4k and seeking for some advice. The TV is in great viewing conditions in dark room with central couch placement. Its used for 50% games, 25% TV ie netflix and 25% film via a nvidia shield (streamed from NAS).

I have on my hitlist:

LG 65OLED B8 for £1500 (Costco)
    LG 65OLED C8 for £2200 (Richer sounds)
    Panasonic TX65FZ802B (£2100 Richer sounds)

Dolby atmos isnt important - this will go through the receiver. I am unsure about Dolby vision vs HD10+ support which seems to be its own separate mine field. I am leaning towards LG for the OS improvements but the nvidia shield will do the job just fine (minus dolby vision). A lot comes down to relative worth - which I know is a hard ask!

Any info much appreciated

2. jmacc

jmacc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,777
    you can get John Lewis to pricematch these guys LG OLED65C8PLA 65" Smart Built in Wi-Fi UHD 2160P OLED TV : West Midlands Electrical Superstore - West Midlands, UK
    and get your c8 65 choice down to £1969... Richer sounds may also match then take another £20 off ... so the c8 for £1949 :)

3. wilsouk

wilsouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Argh amazing - that become the clear winner now given the now 450 quid difference between the B8?

4. jmacc

jmacc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,777
    Personally I would go with the LG C8 at that price.
    Reasons = Slightly faster CPU, A little better onboard sound, Options for smooth graduation (a must have imo)
    :thumbsup:

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Given 50% of your use is going to be games you aren't going to benefit from the better processor really...in fact if you plan on using the shield at UHD you won't be using the TVs updated processor much anyway.. Its only when you use the TVs up-scaling or motion settings that you will.

I'd save and get the B8, its not worth a £400 difference.

You can also wait for the new 2019 models to come out to see bigger discount on the others.

EDIT* forgot to mention you should be aware of: OLED Burn In Risk

6. wilsouk

wilsouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the info. I'm really torn now! Should have mentioned - a decent proportion of TV will be sports, and in 1080p for the foreseeable future. Will need to look into this further. Do we expect significant drops soon for prices or will this be July onwards?

7. wilsouk

wilsouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Looking at the increased brightness (with regards to BFI and games) and color gradation on the C8 (via the noise filtering), wondering is this actually worth the extra? Doesn't seem to be....

8. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +955
    Almost certainly not.

9. wilsouk

wilsouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yea think I will go with B8. Done a lot of googling research and its taking me around in circles. Think £450 better off spent with a new bluray player or graphics card etc...

Thanks for the input folks

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    I am not sure anyone uses BFI on the C8 because it flickers too much. I remember it being a big disappointment after they had been saying they introduced it.

But I think the other models have yet to see the really big discounts, especially at 65". I would just bide my time with the purchase if I were you because it wasn't until later that the more premium OLEDs dropped in price last year.

11. wilsouk

wilsouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Will do - are we thinking (from past experience) weeks or months before drops?

I say that because I am conscious with tech stuff that always can wait to get it cheaper, or wait until the next one up comes cheaper around the corner and never pull the trigger!

Look at your very helpful price guide. Comparing the the C7 from last year its lowest peak was £1990 (Price history for LG OLED65C7V - PriceSpy UK), which I can get the C8 for now. Would you expect this to go lower even?

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Thanks for reading the guide! Well with the OLEDs we don't have much to go on in terms of history. New technology means prices are dropping year to year. The 65" C7 this time of year last (2018) was £2540 and you can see it dropped not long after to £2200 or £2100 even so I would expect the same to happen on the FZ802/C8/AF8 this year. Probably a drop of at most £400 in the next coming months.

The OLEDs seem to stay in stock a lot longer than others, you can still buy the 65" B7 now which is great news because its selling now £900 less than it was this time last year.

Not just that but there is more competition now with Panasonic also having a lower priced model this year (2018-19).

The good thing is, whilst a discount is never guaranteed there is little harm in waiting because at least if last years trend is the same, the OLEDs won't be running out of stock any time soon.

13. DeepDiver

DeepDiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I'm in a similar situation and can't decide on which 65in. I have been watching since the C6/7 & C8 and still have not made up my mind. One of the main reasons I have not bought is because I wanted a 65in and was going to buy a 55in as a compromise. If I'd done that, I would not have been happy.
    I find the FZ802 is almost within my budget. I have seen both the FZ802 & C8 side by side and to my eyes the panasonic PQ seemed slightly better. So, is DV a deal breaker or not?

Should I wait for panasonic's new 2019 range which may give me more choice now that DV is included. The biggest question is how much will they cost and will I have to wait till black friday or 12 months from now to buy?

I currently have a 12 year old panasonic plasma with perfect PQ.
    I have Sky Q
    I watch mainly HD TV, Netflix & Bluray movies with some PS4 gaming
    I will also have to buy a new receiver to route everything through.

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    If you wait you'll get both HDR10+ and DV but yes, you'll have to wait some time, possibly as much as a year to buy at a reasonable price.
    The only source that has Dolby Vision support on titles is Netflix and its only certain titles. So you should be able to decide how important that is for you depending on how often you use Netflix and how likely it is that the shows you watch on Netflix are available in Dolby Vision.

If you have a TV without dolby visions, those shows will still work but with marginally less dynamic range due to static HDR meta data instead of dynamic.