Question 65in OLED or 85in LED?

65inch premium OLED or 85 inch midrange LED?

• 65inch OLED

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • 85 inch LED

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

pppp1

Established Member
Reaction score
A recent review at AVSForum of an 85 inch Sony LED left me wondering.

If space wasn't an issue what would you go for, a 65 inch premium OLED or an 85inch midrange LED?

Personally I wouldn't want to go back to LCD contrast levels, so OLED for me.

I can imagine a lot of non 4k broadcast channels will look quite poor on such a large screen, so that's worth bearing in mind. If your primary usage is movies/4k netflix etc then you'll probably not regret the 85.

Coming from a plasma, the brightness might blind you... ;)

Personally I wouldn't want to go back to LCD contrast levels, so OLED for me.

I can imagine a lot of non 4k broadcast channels will look quite poor on such a large screen, so that's worth bearing in mind. If your primary usage is movies/4k netflix etc then you'll probably not regret the 85.

Coming from a plasma, the brightness might blind you... ;)

Primary usage will be Movies and TV on Ultra HD BD/BD and Netflix/Prime Video 4K or HD. Additionally some football mainly in full HD and SD. Other broadcast TV watching will be minimal, and no interest for video games.

I'm not sure what will be more important for me the impact of the larger LED or the better picture quality of the smaller OLED. Will have to demo I guess. My choices are the Sony 65AG9 and 85XG95.

I know plasma is not that bright and even OLED is much brighter but will a new LED be such a dramatic change? :)

Led is brighter then oled

A recent review at AVSForum of an 85 inch Sony LED left me wondering.

If space wasn't an issue what would you go for, a 65 inch premium OLED or an 85inch midrange LED?

What is the seating distance?

I always wanted a projector with a 100+ inch screen but an 85 inch TV would be a nice compromise given also how current TVs are better with HDR than projectors

If it's movies and no gaming can't beat oled with the black bars and viewing angles.. previously had a pioneer krp in my den own a Panny oled now very much like plasmas with a cinematic picture but added 4khdr..

If it's movies and no gaming can't beat oled with the black bars and viewing angles.. previously had a pioneer krp in my den own a Panny oled now very much like plasmas with a cinematic picture but added 4khdr..
For some time my thoughts were exactly as you describe but lately I've been wondering if the increased size will defeat any picture quality shortcomings.

Large OLED is very expensive but an 85 inch LED is probably within my budget some time after release with a discount.

For some time my thoughts were exactly as you describe but lately I've been wondering if the increased size will defeat any picture quality shortcomings.

Large OLED is very expensive but an 85 inch LED is probably within my budget some time after release with a discount.

Depends what tv and what size you have currently... you may have the size with the larger screen but picture won't be as good if you watch tv etc...
I myself still own a Pioneer in our front room but the krp600 I had sold off wasn't as black as the smaller 50inch krp ... although it still trashed leds in a dark room... I regretted getting rid of the smaller screen as it had the better picture...
It's not just in the black bars but details too, shadows, clothes, skin and other textures.. makes the other colours pop...
The Panasonic oled was the 1st tv that really bettered my previous kuro..
I could have got a much bigger led for the money.. it would be brighter than the kuro, more detail, 4k etc but viewing angles not quite as good, blacks not as good and not as much cinematic picture.. that would be a side step to me rather than an upgrade.. and I would have been picking faults all day long...even oled isnt perfect but, in the way I watch in a dark room and for movies oled was for me..
I suppose the question is do you get the best picture you can in a decent size or get as big as you can just because you can and not be blown away by the picture..
Best way if you can is book an appointment with Richersounds or somewhere with a demo room and view the oled and a huge led.. your own eyes will be the best judge
:smashin: All the best..

Depends what tv and what size you have currently... you may have the size with the larger screen but picture won't be as good if you watch tv etc...
I myself still own a Pioneer in our front room but the krp600 I had sold off wasn't as black as the smaller 50inch krp ... although it still trashed leds in a dark room... I regretted getting rid of the smaller screen as it had the better picture...
It's not just in the black bars but details too, shadows, clothes, skin and other textures.. makes the other colours pop...
The Panasonic oled was the 1st tv that really bettered my previous kuro..
I could have got a much bigger led for the money.. it would be brighter than the kuro, more detail, 4k etc but viewing angles not quite as good, blacks not as good and not as much cinematic picture.. that would be a side step to me rather than an upgrade.. and I would have been picking faults all day long...even oled isnt perfect but, in the way I watch in a dark room and for movies oled was for me..
I suppose the question is do you get the best picture you can in a decent size or get as big as you can just because you can and not be blown away by the picture..
Best way if you can is book an appointment with Richersounds or somewhere with a demo room and view the oled and a huge led.. your own eyes will be the best judge
:smashin: All the best..

Will have to wait for all the new models to be released, check the reviews and demo if possible.

Demo will be an issue here in Cyprus :):(. Probably can find some on display but none calibrated and in ideal viewing conditions. I can find easily any LG, Samsung and Sony model out in the EU but can't really find Panasonic or Philips.

So out of the new 65 inch OLEDs my choices will be the C9 and the AG9. Have you had a chance to demo any Sony and LG OLEDs and compare to the Panasonic? I understand each has its strengths but in the end are all very similar, correct?

I demoed all 3 at the time of buying...
The Sony had good sound and good picture , I use full surround setup so no use to me... LG nice design, future proofed much brighter...., then the Panasonic oled, most natural out of the box, and cinematic... like a better plasma..
To me that was all I'm interested in to use it for blurays full hd and 4khdr... on the settings I couldn't get the right look on the other two although great in their own way.. bit soap opera effect but sure it could be calibrated to be like the panny...
If can get hold of the remote and check the settings that may help as usually in big stores it's just 4k usb demos on vivid mode which draws people in as bright and bold but at home would look terrible..

P.S. I took in some of my blurays which I watch alot ie. Halloween, Terminator so I could notice anything I wasn't use to seeing.. may be an idea for you to try that..??
If they are wanting to sell you a high end tv for alot of money they should accommodate you wanting to test the tv rather than watch demos on repeat... otherwise if it were me take your business elsewhere..;)

P.S. I took in some of my blurays which I watch alot ie. Halloween, Terminator so I could notice anything I wasn't use to seeing.. may be an idea for you to try that..??
If they are wanting to sell you a high end tv for alot of money they should accommodate you wanting to test the tv rather than watch demos on repeat... otherwise if it were me take your business elsewhere..;)
Yes you are right I should try to do that. Any thoughts on Samsung's QLED? Highly regarded by some.

Still led but with a fancy name.. mega bright though and personally think Samsung make the nicest looking tv's design wise / b&o...but I'm not buying one for how skinny it is..
If they still made plasma with thick bezel and still continued to improve and be the best picture quality then I'd Have one please..
They are good in a bright room but dark room oled and viewing angles will be better.. similar price to oled too.. if I gamed I'd get one.. if movies oled..

It all depends what you want to use your TV for
If you game, use your TV as a pc screen or watch programs with static screens then be very careful of OLED. If you use your TV for any of the above things then you run the district risk of having your TV broken by burn in.
UK courts have ruled that under OLED technology is inherently faulty. Every single case for damages due to screen burn that has been brought against companies who sell and make OLED TV has been won.
Buying OLED is a risk Your warranty specially exempts any claims for screen burn. Your only recourse are the courts
I seriously considered buying an OLED last year but when I read about the incipient risks of the technology and the fact I game for long stretches I simply couldn't take the risk.
Plenty of people on here will say that they've never had a problem. That's irrelevant
My dad is 83 and smoked 20 a day all his adult life and never had any tobacco related problems His dad lived until 97 and had the same lifestyle
Just because tobacco didn't kill them does that make it safe? Of course not
The same isttrue of OLED Just because people say they've never had a problem doesn't make the technology any safer
But OLED and you play Russian roulette with it every single time you watch it
Personally I don't want that risk. Or to take a break from gaming or working every two hours to refresh the TV. Even that won't protect you.
The Internet is full of OLED horror stories. People on here will have you believe they are exaggerated or made up
The UK courts don't agree.

If you game, use your TV as a pc screen or watch programs with static screens then be very careful of OLED. If you use your TV for any of the above things then you run the district risk of having your TV broken by burn in.
UK courts have ruled that under OLED technology is inherently faulty. Every single case for damages due to screen burn that has been brought against companies who sell and make OLED TV has been won.
Buying OLED is a risk Your warranty specially exempts any claims for screen burn. Your only recourse are the courts
I seriously considered buying an OLED last year but when I read about the incipient risks of the technology and the fact I game for long stretches I simply couldn't take the risk.
Plenty of people on here will say that they've never had a problem. That's irrelevant
My dad is 83 and smoked 20 a day all his adult life and never had any tobacco related problems His dad lived until 97 and had the same lifestyle
The same isttrue of OLED Just because people say they've never had a problem doesn't make the technology any safer
Personally I don't want that risk. Or to take a break from gaming or working every two hours to refresh the TV. Even that won't protect you.
The Internet is full of OLED horror stories. People on here will have you believe they are exaggerated or made up

Honestly i have to say it sounds to me you are exaggerating a little. You make it sound that it's a matter of time before you get burn in with OLED. I think there was a poll somewhere in these forums or a link to somewhere else and only something like less than 5% of users of current models have experienced burn in.

I don't doubt there are users with really bad experiences, just not that sure about the extent among all OLEDs sold.

I will use primarily for movies as I did the Pioneer Kuro for 11 years with no burn in issues.

Burn in/out most definitely is a bug bear of OLEDS my B6 which i had for 26 months .. no Banding no Tint , it had over 10'000 hours of use not a hint of a problem , then you put the tv on There it is SSN banner as bold as brass present on all content ... if that content includes Grey , Blue , Yellow, etc... so to cut long story short , sold it for for a steal .. and at present on replacement number 6 ... Sony AF9 2 ... LG C8 2..fz802.2 .. All have either V /Banding , Pink Tint , and 1 AF9 which had stuttering from the king of motion.. Wish i kept the B6 .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom