Question 65gz950 vs 65hz980?

pughypro

I’m looking at upgrading my 1080p LG OLED and have been reading up on the Panasonic OLEDs and like what I read about banding and screen uniformity. It would seem they lead the way in this regard and I find banding very distracting.

I’ve looked at the GZ950 and the newer HZ980 and can’t discern much difference between the two? My viewing is mainly through Sky Q, Netflix and Blu-rays, no gaming so that’s not important.

Any views or thoughts from anyone who has had both, either, or seen them in the flesh to compare (something thats a little tricky at present!).

Thanks in advance.

mikej

The HZ980 is a 2020 model but it has the same panel as the 2019 GZ950. Going for the HZ gets you eARC (the GZ just has ARC) and Dolby Vision IQ.

It doesn't sound like you'll gain much from eARC vs ARC, but it would make sense to read up on the differences. However - that might be irrelevant as I doubt you'll find any new GZs still for sale now, unless you're looking at second-hand ? I'd avoid any ex-display OLEDs.

Even the HZs will start to sell out in the coming months as they make way for this year's JZ models. The next few months will be a good time to get an HZ for a decent price, so I would try and make a decision soon and keep an eye on your favourite retailers and/or the OLED Price Changes thread, otherwise you'll be looking at paying full price for a JZ for a fair while the HZs are gone.

pughypro

Thanks, that’s very helpful. So all things being equal there’s no real difference in picture quality or features (outside of the couple you’ve mentioned)? I’ve read many reviews of the gz950 and it’s highly recommended and accoladed which drew me to it. I’ve not seen the same volume of reviews for the hz980. Any reason for this?

Thanks, that’s very helpful. So all things being equal there’s no real difference in picture quality or features (outside of the couple you’ve mentioned)? I’ve read many reviews of the gz950 and it’s highly recommended and accoladed which drew me to it. I’ve not seen the same volume of reviews for the hz980. Any reason for this?

Only probably because it was the last 2020 Panasonic released, and very similar to both the GZ950 and HZ1000.

As above, the 2020 models will be gone soon, and there have been stock shortages all year due to Covid so I wouldn't hang about too long.

mikej

Thanks, that’s very helpful. So all things being equal there’s no real difference in picture quality or features (outside of the couple you’ve mentioned)?

I think they are the main 'headline' spec differences from what I can remember.

There's often not a lot of difference between one model year and the next in terms of picture quality anyway as OLED improvements are generally only incremental, so the fact that the panel is the same as the previous year makes that even more likely. I doubt you would see any difference at all in a side-by-side comparison between the GZ950 and HZ980. Some would value the addition of eARC, though.

A quick Google search for Panasonic GZ950 gives only one single 65" GZ950 (at Crampton and Moore) - all the other results default to the HZ models instead.

pughypro

I think they are the main 'headline' spec differences from what I can remember.

There's often not a lot of difference between one model year and the next in terms of picture quality anyway as OLED improvements are generally only incremental, so the fact that the panel is the same as the previous year makes that even more likely. I doubt you would see any difference at all in a side-by-side comparison between the GZ950 and HZ980. Some would value the addition of eARC, though.

A quick Google search for Panasonic GZ950 gives only one single 65" GZ950 (at Crampton and Moore) - all the other results default to the HZ models instead.
Yes that’s what I found as well. The price at Crampton and Moore is quite attractive though 🤨

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom