• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

65EC970V-ZA Headphone and external speaker sound

allisont2

Novice Member
Hi.. hoping someone can help.
trying to use headphone Jack and get external TV sound to no avail.
Have tried optical audio; scart to RCA but can;t get any to work together with TV sound.
Any ideas would be greatful.
Extremely expensive telly if you can't do both!

Thanks in advance.
Allison

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Allison, first things first, are you trying to use the sound from the TV's internal speakers and use the output from the headphone jack or optical to an amp AT THE SAME TIME?
If so, that isn't possible as both the headphone jack and optical out on some of the latest LG models mute the internal speakers and this is by design and cannot be changed.
See the connection diagram and adjacent notes on page 33 of your user manual.

LG assume if you're outputting audio to an external amp you won't want the TV speakers on at the same time which really is how most people use TV's with an external amp/speakers.
If both were in use the sound would probably be out of sync.

Last edited:

allisont2

Novice Member
Hi Jaycee... thanks for the disappointing reply.... that's what LG said... but I was hoping against all odds that the web chat was wrong!

I'm hard of hearing and use a loop style system which bluetooths to my hearings aids (somehow). So would a bluetooth headphone connection plus TV speakers work? i.e. no wires into the TV?

Thanks for your help.

Allison

allisont2

Novice Member
Hi JayCee... previously used this loop with headphone wire into panasonic with very good results.
As this can no longer be done with new TV thinking I may have to try to source some bluetooth headphones if this is the only way that we can have dual output sound.

Thanks
allison

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Does your new Tv have bluetooth?
Did the internal speakers mute when the optical lead was inserted?
Panasonic & Sony TV's don't mute the internal speakers when headphones or optical out is used so that's how your loop system worked...suspect you won't be able to use it with this LG as a bluetooth adaptor still needs an audio connection via the headphone out...which mutes the speakers.
Can you exchange your LG?

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Hi it has something called LG sound sync (wireless)

I Googled this and discovered it's a wireless bluetooth connection to LG-branded soundbars, sound systems and headphones so you may be in luck here although by the looks of it your stuck to buying their own brand...can you check with your dealer?

allisont2

Novice Member
Hi Jaycee... I've emailed LG back along with my hearing loop people... so hopefully they may come up with something.
Thinking that LG headphones aren't going to be anywhere as good as my loop style system which sends the TV sound directly to my hearing aid.
Many thanks for your help this afternoon.. saved me a lot of time.
Kind Regards
Allison

allisont2

Novice Member
Delighted to report I'm sorted!!! All I had to do was plug my headphones via scart into the sky box instead of the LG smart TV and we can all hear again. Many thanks for your help. Allison

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom