65C6 warranty claim progress

wega3k

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 65C6 for £2600 in 2017. We've been putting up with fading reds for at least the last year - 18 months. Many red subpixels are completely dead, Simpsons look green etc - you know how it goes by now.

Full gallery here - the test card is yellow, not green for avoidance of doubt.

I finally got sufficiently annoyed with it and booked it in with Currys for a warranty repair on Friday 3rd of September. I was pleasantly surprised to be told it would be collected on Monday 6th. Additionally, the CSA clearly stated that if they couldn't fix my TV within 7 days of collecting it, they would give me a voucher toward a replacement. Great I thought, and entered into the repair process based upon this information. To be clear, I have only the standard 5 year Currys warranty, not any sort of extended paid-for care agreement.

Sure enough, two nice chaps came and packaged it up and took it as promised, first thing on Monday 6th.

I received a text message late on the evening of Sunday 12th to say my TV would be returned today (Monday 13th). Quite apart from the presumptuous nature of this (not checking the time would be OK first), I obviously didn't believe this for a second. They managed to source and fit a 65" C6 panel in 2021 in under a week? Yeah right.

So I called them up first thing this morning. The South African call centre, as has been mentioned by many others, is woefully ill-equipped to help.

Over the course of an hour or so of getting bounced around randomly between CSAs, I was given the following statements:

1. My TV is awaiting a new panel.
2. My TV has an invalid serial number.
3. My TV has been fixed and will be back with me in the next hour.

I then had a call from a delivery guy who was very apologetic and said that he didn't have my TV as planned as the repair centre had lost it.

Unable to face the prospect of the South African call centre by phone again, I entered into dialogue with KnowHow via Twitter DM.

They stated that the information from the CSA at the point I booked the repair was incorrect and they are under no obligation to write it off and give me a voucher after 7 days and additionally stated:

'there is no time frame we set for the repairs and we will always try and repair the unit until it becomes beyond economical repair. The unit is still in assessment and as soon as we have made a concrete evaluation on if we can or cannot get parts for the repair, a decision shall be made from there.'

So there we are - No TV for over a week now and no prospect of getting it back or any indication of how long it might take to get written off or how much they'll offer. I just want to on with ordering my replacement 77C1. Such a shame it'll have to be from Currys again due to the voucher, rather than Costco.

Last edited:
what does your warranty paperwork say?

OK, so after a much more successful phone call I'm feeling a lot more positive.

A couple of bits of advice from my experience so far:

1. Don't waste too much time DMing @TeamKnowhowUK on Twitter. They'll just keep saying you need to call back on 0344 561 1234.

2. Keep calling back 0344 561 1234 at different times until you get through to somebody in the UK rather than South Africa. There seems to be a night and day difference between their level of experience and - seemingly - their access to, or at least their ability to interpret case notes.

3. There is an interesting process design choice in the logistics. They automatically book the return delivery 7 days from the day the TV was collected. If a repair is going to take longer or the item is irreparable, they are supposed to update the destination to be the Newark repair centre (where the item already is). However this apparently often doesn't get done, resulting in customer confusion. This is why I was called by the delivery driver yesterday and told "they've lost your TV in the warehouse".

I have been advised that the TV is at the facility in Newark. It has been inspected and fault confirmed. They have confirmed the panel is not available from LG nor other sources. They clarified that the whole process for non-careplan customers such as me, the whole thing can take up to 28 days but is typically resolved in less than a week from the point that they establish there are no panels are available.

@chenks I don't have any paperwork. As has been noted by others, this is standard, and annoying practice from DSG.

Last edited:
I don't have any paperwork. As has been noted by others, this is standard, and annoying practice from DSG.

you would definitely have some sort of paperwork given to you at the point of purchase.
even if you buy a low cost item they give you something (with the receipt of purchase stapled to their usual paperwork.

you would definitely has some sort of paperwork given to you at the point of purchase.
even if you buy a low cost item they give you something (with the receipt of purchase stapled to their usual paperwork.
OK.

Yup messy as hell with them regarding documentation or warranty repair, there is a massive thread on here somewhere with some currys customers waiting 8-12 weeks to get it written off but this was covid chaos peak time last summer, I believe most of them had 2015-2018 OLEDs and the curved screens ones was the worst culprits, so they just wrote it off.

Hopefully you get yours written off with luck, pure guessing here but id say its more likely if your OLED was curved or 3d but don't take that as gospel etc

In regards to your lack of Tv, maybe you can get a cheap 2nd hand or clearance TV for now?

Or if you got a PC monitor, double it up as a tv screen temporary.

Some customers, simply purchased a new OLED from currys and then went back in-store and just did a refund/resell process, so they refund the TV back to the card, resell it with voucher instead, but id double check with customer services or in store if that can be done, also this is a big if that you do get the voucher in the first place!

I spoke to them again today and no progress. Just waiting to hear back from the department that authorise the write-off.

I don't think I'm brave enough to do the refund process you mentioned in case they shaft me.

I spoke to them again today and no progress. Just waiting to hear back from the department that authorise the write-off.

I don't think I'm brave enough to do the refund process you mentioned in case they shaft me.

Yeah its a risky move a few guys did do that on the other thread but they did call customer services or went in store to check it was possible, the safer approach is wait and get it finalized and confirmed and then use the voucher if given that is.

Usually its like for like, so the closest match probably something like the C1 series, might be worth double checking if a knowhow coverplan would entitle to quicker repair time and write off time in near future, so it maybe worth it.

Voucher to cover a 65 C1 would be fair. That should be £2k. I would then fund the £1.5k additional for the 77" C1.

Well merry Christmas and happy birthday to me. That's £100 more than I paid for it 4 years ago. I make that 77" C1 o'clock.

15 days from start to finish to get this sorted. Shame about some of the call centre handling and misinformation in the middle causing a bit of stress. Otherwise I'd say that's really excellent customer service from Currys.

1632237609388.png

Well merry Christmas and happy birthday to me. That's £100 more than I paid for it 4 years ago. I make that 77" C1 o'clock.

15 days from start to finish to get this sorted. Shame about some of the call centre handling and misinformation in the middle causing a bit of stress. Otherwise I'd say that's really excellent customer service from Currys.

View attachment 1574121

Awesome result, that 77C1 is going to look awesome.

Ordered the C1. Did some shenanigans with some work discount e-voucher thing so it only cost me just over £700 on top of the warranty voucher.

I had a similar experience with my old LG B6 OLED, the actual end result is great (I got enough to buy a new CX at the time) but talking to the call centre during the process was confusing and stressful.

Last edited:
77" C1 arrived today, which was sooner than I thought it would come as there was no stock when I ordered.

Wall mounted it without drama with the existing bracket. Looks great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom