1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

656A Vs 900S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bash, Nov 19, 2002.

1. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I've just bought the Pioneer 656A, and very nice it is too. Im waiting for my Pioneer VSX 811 amp to come through the I'll be sorted coz Im prolly gonna get a 36"Tosh Strata in January.

However, it has come to my attention that this player doesnt do Progressive scan. I've seen PS in action and Im pretty sure I want the feature. I've spent £330 of my hard earned cash on this machine so I want the best I can get.

Im now considering getting the Sony DVP-NS900S PS in silver for £199 from Richer, which I've heard does PS. I would prolly partner that with a Yammy DSP 630 (I think/hope/pray this comes in silver too!).

One of my main reasons for getting the 656 was so that I wouldnt have to get a seperate CD player. Can anyone tell me how good the Sony player sounds with CD's.

Please everyone post your opinions as I'll have to return the Pioneer sharpish if I'm convinced I REALLY want PS.

Thanx

2. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Bash,
    Acouple of things. I have a Sony 900s and can honestly say its fantastic (bearing in mind it cost me £400 last year). It can play CD's to a pretty good standard, as good as the 656 IMO, but it DOES NOT output progressive scan. This feature is only available on Japan/USA versions. I don't know if a conversion is possible, but even if it was, it would probably cost a fortune. Have a look around and see if any other players have this feature at the price level you want. If it's not that important, I'd stick with the pioneer. Good luck!

Cookie

3. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Bash,
    PS, dont go for the Yamaha amp if you are thinking of using it for 2ch hi-fi, go for a marantz or the pioneer you wanted.

cheers, cookie

4. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Ah, thats interesting.......I havent heard anything reguarding the Pioneers 2 stero playback. So you're saying its better than the Yammy?

I realise my mistake reguarding the Sony 900, after that exhausting read in the TV's section about the Tosh Strada Im prolly gonna go for either a tosh SD510 or SD520 for their prog scan capabilities.

Because of this Im prolly gonna buy a seperate CD player now. I just dont know what amp to partner them all with that with in my budget. About £250-£350 for an amp and £250 or less for DVD and CD players.

5. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having just done a search threads for the pioneer 656, which ive heard great reports as a cd player aswell
    could you explain this progressive scan ??

cheers

6. GoggleBoy

GoggleBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that the 656A does do NTSC prog scan but not PAL.

So if you have R1 discs you are sorted.

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    watched some of AOTC on a pioneer 656 round Eric's yesterday on his new """"Lifestyle"""" set up in the living room and the picture quality was INCREDIBLE, I've also heard this player doing DVD-A and SACD and it sounds great too. I would buy one in a second if my 545 wasn't only six months old. My God that Gallo MPS-150 sub does AMAZING things with only a 10in driver!!! Roll on Christmas!

8. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Unfortunately the Pioneer 656A doesnt do Prog scan (well if it does, its not in the manual!)

9. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know if there is big difference between the 656 and the 646 models..apart from the price.

and what does the a stand for in 656a ??

cheers

10. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The a in 656a stands for audio as it is geared for audio too (yes, its true!)

The main difference between the 656a and 646 is that it plays almost every kind of disk.

According to What Hi-Fi said, the 656a doesn't do PS, you will need to purchase the more expensive model.

11. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks alsproject,

as this would be my first dvd , is the 656a worth the extra dosh or is the 646 just as good ???

cheers

12. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Personally, I would get the 656 because of the updated hardware (eg. Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit Audio DAC on the main L/R channels).

As well as that, it can play MP3 cds that you compile on you PC so thats always a bonus.

The way to think about it is that for the few quid extra that you are willing to pay, you will be future proofing yourself for a little while longer.

Anyway, the desicion is yours :)