1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

656A & DVD-A Bass management

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by silverpines, Apr 15, 2003.

1. silverpines

silverpines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Pioneer DV-656A to play mult-channel media. I am very happy with DVD movie replay, but I am having problems with reproducing mid-range music sounds. At present the player is connect to a Denon 3802 receiver through the 6 analogue outputs and then onto a 5.1 set up of Gallo Nucleus Micros and subwoofer. The output from the 656A is set to analogue for multi-channel music and the input to the 3802 is set to analogue to match.

When playing SACD it handles the bass management on board the 656A - speakers are all set to small and the bass is boosted through the .1 channel to the subwoofer. This works pretty well, although I suspect the onboard DACs are not the highest in quality. However, with DVD-A this doesn't work! (I have no idea why it doesn't, but it warns you it won't in the manual). The signal from the DVD-A tracks sound fabulous for treble but almost completely missing in mid-range with only a little bass if I turn up the volume on the subwoofer. I have therefore been resorting to playing either DTS or straight DD5.1 soundtracks out through the digital output into the 3802 where the bass management is handled on board. Although this sounds better than standard CD, a lot of the benefit of higher resolution sound format is lost by doing this.

Is there any way round the problem, and if not, why bother to call the 656A DVD-A compatible, if you can only play DTS or DD 5.1 tracks, something that almost all DVD players on the market can do?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've a 656 & have no problem playing dvd-a - loads of bass in Miles Davies albums - what dvd-a(s) are you using, it may be down to the discs. BTW the manual says that the speaker setting does not affect digital audio as opposed to dvd-a.

3. silverpines

silverpines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD-A's include A Night at the Opera, Hotel California, Magnification (Yes), Spectrum (Billy Cobham), plus a few others - at work at the moment so can't remember them all. All suffer from the same problem, to a gretaer or lesser extent. The worst is Night at the Opera.

Thanks for your interest.