656 onbound widescreen auto-switching while playing DVD ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by roydonaldson, Apr 15, 2003.

1. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there,

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this behavior on their Pioneer 656 DVD player. Current setup is this:

Sky -> Tivo -> 656 -> Sony TV

All connected by SCARTs, all running RGB. It all works fine and
    auto-switches itself correctly when devices are played / stopped correctly.

Now, when I play a DVD on the 656, the TV switches correctly and sets it's widescreen setting correctly, 16:9, 4:3 etc. and plays fine.

However, if the Tivo decides to change the Sky box and as a result of this the Sky box or Tivo changes it's output into the DVD widescreen format, the 656 switches this through to the TV, even though it is in the middle of playing a DVD !

Anyone else seen this before ?

I'm probably going to try and get discreate codes for my Pronto to force the TV to 16:9 or 4:3, but until then it would be nice to get this fixed.

Cheers,
    Roy.

2. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've been having problems with the auto widescreen switching on my setup, and found this thread in a search.

I've got an almost identical setup (except I'm using Freeview, not Sky), and it looks like I'm having the exact same problem!!.

I couldn't work out why my 656 was sometimes refusing to switch aspect ratios correctly. From what you say, switching off the Tivo should fix the problem. Sorted!!

Cheers

Chris