650 budget

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yimpster, Jun 1, 2002.

1. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi peeps,

I'm seeking advice to kit out my lounge with an AV amp and speakers. My budget is 650 and i'd like to make sure that all the kit is small and unobtrusive and preferrably silver/grey. Otherwsie the wife will sling it and ME out.

I've just been talking to www.discounttv.co.uk. They have recommended the following.

Mission FS2AV speakers @ 400 squid
    Teac 350 AV amp @ 250

This sounds like the perfect match for our room as i've already got the rest of the Teac Reference 300 hifi, so it would match perfectly, plus i could keep my original amp and speakers to cope with the hifi sterero.

If anybody has any other ideas then please let me know....i'm all ears.

I'm due to take delivery of a Pioneer 444S DVD player in a few days to compliemt the Panny 36" TV.

Cheers

Adam

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Pioneer VSXC300S
    Receiver Av Dolby Dig. 80wpc Silver
    Matches the 444 in size and form,
    £180 from http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/
    Add FS2AV or Denon 5.1 NXT Speaker package - SCAVF100
    Similar to the missions or for a bit more cash The Bose Acoustimass 6 MK2 Home Cinema Speaker Package £500 Bose not everyone cup of tea, or look at SONYs PASCAL Range. The SONY SA-VE535HS Pascal AV Loudspeaker Package £350
    Best thing to do is Demo a couple of Combiations and go from there. Dont forget good speaker cable and interconnects.

3. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    There's really knowwhere around here to demo...so i'm gonna have to take the plunge and hope. I figure if i get a good balance, i should get a reasonable setup.

Do you really think the Pioneer amp would be a better than the Teac 350?? I've not found any review on either. However i love the sound reproduction from the rest of the Ref 300 system so i was kinda hoping i'd be similarly impressed with the AV amp.

Over to you - i've gotta be guided in this as i'm a total newbie.

Cheers

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Pioneer amp is supposed to be good but noy very loud, ~Is there not even a department store or even an RS where you can try for a demo, I didn't buy the pioneer amp as I wanted an amp to replace my Stereo as well and for that it seemed a bit feeble, If you can't demo stick with Ref300 gear then if you are disappointed you only have yourself to balme, (I dont like being shouted at!)

PS where the hell are you the outer hebridies!:eek: :eek: :eek:

5. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    There's nowhere local that stocks AND has a demo room of the kit i'm interested in. So i'm gonna have to go on gut instinct and good advice.

If i can push my budget to £350 for the amp what would you suggest?? bear in mind the colour SILVER (i know!!!)

I'm pretty set on the Mission AV2 NXT speakers, however you mentioned the Denon. I thought the Denons were made by Mission! Is there a big difference??

I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is on Wednesday as we've got my wifes party at the weekend and i need to keep the blokes entertained....

cheers again

Adam

6. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm taking the plunge! Kinda on good faith on the reviews around the net. I've ordered a set of Mission FSAV2 in silver and a Denon 2802 Receiver..a little/lot more than my budget allowed but hopefully worth it.

cheers

Adam

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    How did it go Yimpy? did you manage to wire it up in time!!

8. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Still not arrived yet. Should be here before 9:30am. Watch this space for more information, probably around 12 hours time.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  10. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well................after much pressing of buttons on both the DVD and the Denon amp....i succeeded in getting sound!!!!!!!

And i must say, I am well pleased, especially as the speakers were not optimally placed, neither did i customise any of the amps settings.

I tried Phantom Menace and a little of MI2...i just wanted to test various clips, the wife got totally engrossed and wouldn't let me switch em off!

I've been give the nod of approval, so i can go ahead and wall mount the speakers.

I've got a bbq on Saturday so i'll get back to you all and let you know what the general concensus is. Especially as quite a few of the lads have bought the combined sony dvd/amp/speaker packages. We'll see what they have to say. Hopefully it'll knock their socks off.

cheers...and ta ta for now :p

11. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well after about 6 hours of painful placement of the speakers, i must say that the overall result is impressive. And i'm very happy with the setup.

Cheers for all your guidance, you've been great!

12. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Fs2's sound pretty bad straight out of the box, the sub doesn't appear to work and the sound is destinctly 'clunky' The trick is carefull placement and a lot of running in, also make sure the speakers are set to 'large' on the amp. It took me and the guy from Mission about half a day to get the cabling neat and get the best sound for the room, and a further 2 weeks of running to get the best out of the system! I think you really have to listen to these speakers with an open mind because the technology has the potential to do great things, it's just a very different sound - and they great thing is (and i have sold a lot of these on this point) they are 'domestically acceptable' even dare I say it good looking!