Question 65" TV up to 1500€

Ilias13

Hello!
Over the past 6+ years I'm on a 46" Samsung f6500 TV . Audio is passed through hdmi arc to a Samsung ht-h5500 system.

Viewing distance is around 2,6m straight on in the living room mostly at night , windows closed, lights turned off.

Content 70% netflix and movies through my local Plex media server. 20% sports (euroleague TV through Chromecast) and another 10% lower Res standard TV shows. I'd like to use it as Pc monitor (pc nearby) but Chromecast's delay in mouse cursor movement has not allowed me to.

I've been more than happy with this setup and had I bought the 55" TV model, I think I wouldn't consider any changes yet.

So, aiming primarily for a bigger size (65") and best vfm for my purposes I have started researching on latest models. I always thought that my next TV would be an oled panel set, though quality 65" oled's are over my budget and Samsung's Q90t or Q80t perhaps could provide better value in terms of price to performance ratio. Also I must say I'm a bit used to Samsung's interface / class leading os and a bit reluctant to shift to another brand.

Apart from anything else my big concern over my next TV would be audio passthrough to ht-h5500 . As I've seen both Samsung and LG do not support DTS and my Plex content is mostly based on this 5.1 audio format. I haven't been able to figure out weather Panasonic's oled lineup supports DTS hdmi passthrough and I would be most grateful if you could clarify this for me.

If they do ,and based on what I've come across researching, I think last year's Panasonic 65" gz950 would be my go to set which was on sale for 1500€ over the last month's but currently unavailable.

2020's models hz1000, CX are currently way outside my budget at 2600€ (Sony's a8 at 3000), while Q90t is at 1700€ and Q80t at 1400. Hz980 could perhaps be the equivalent of gz950 but hasn't yet appeared in the market.

So, do you think I'm looking in the right direction?
Should I wait for pana or lg to drop near my budget limit and maybe push a little to 1600 or 1700 to buy such a TV or staying with a much cheaper Q80t or Q90T would be better value?
Should I wave goodbye to my DTS Plex media?😁

Thanks a lot!

Dodgexander

Panasonic don't pass DTS, its only Philips and Sony OLEDs that will now. If you run plex on a server capable of transcoding it will just transcode the Audio to support the TV though.

How are you planning to use Plex? If built in apps on TV some are more updated than others. The app on LG/Samsung/Android TVs is going to be a lot better than the one on Panasonic's OS.

If you plan to use a dedicated device for plex playback then all that matters is that supports DTS and can plug into your soundbar/soundsystem.

Not sure on your local pricing, but presently Samsung models are overpriced in the UK. The stand out value currently is the Sony XH9505 which is selling for a few hundred less than the LG BX OLED. Both would be about equal value for money at those prices (1600 GBP vs 1200). Generally the 65" OLEDs are worse value for money compared to 65" LCD TVs but prices to seem to be slowly coming down.

Ilias13

Thanks for your reply.
So far I've been using Plex through the built-in app, though I could also just Chromecast from the PC which is nearby. Of course the app is more convenient.
However I cannot connect pc to sound system so I'm stuck to whatever passes through the TV.

Sony XH9505 is currently priced at 1700€ same as Q90T. So if I would go for a LED TV do you think I should prefer the Sony over the Q90t for the same price?

Dodgexander

So your Plex server is on your PC? It should have no trouble transcoding audio to Dolby from DTS.

If you decide on an LCD TV on current pricing you have the XH9505 and Q90T are about equal value for money. I think they are on the expensive side for you though, especially when I've had other users message me from mainland Europe with a lot better prices for TVs than this.

Have you considered shortlisting a few TVs, tracking prices and jumping when they drop? Sales are nearby, if not Black Friday. Christmas/January.

If you want to avoid transcoding audio then Sony or Philips are good bets. LG stopped DTS support in 2020 but if you can find LGs C9 or B9 OLED from 2019 they still support it.

From the aspect of gaming, LGs OLEDs are much better than others due to more up to date HDMI ports and some useful features for gaming like dynamic tone mapping.

With LCD TVs (Sony vs Samsung) Samsung have the edge for gaming too, but the Sony is more of a video enthusiasts TV with better picture accuracy and motion for video.

Ilias13

Of course I'm not gonna buy now.;)
I just want to narrow down my choices and wait for at least 30% off.
I'll be waiting for your 20/21 guide too!
Thanks a lot for your help!

Ilias13

Hey @Dodgexander ! Thanks a lot for a great guide and overall support!

I've been going back and forth in circles , following your guide and individual recommendations along with any content i could find on TV reviews and comparisons!

And though I decided to go for Sony 65XH95, I changed my mind again...

I realised that the reason I want a new TV is size.
It's not best motion, best HDR or best gaming features...

So in this respect I think I could get a real leap in overall TV enjoyment with just going for a decent budget 65'' model.

The argument is that, to my eyes, going from my Samsung 46UEF6500 to Hisense 65U7QF would still be a huge upgrade so there is little real benefit in spending double the money (!) to go for Sony XH95.

Do you think that this is true?

Is there any case that motion handling and image processing issues of the 7QF could actually prove a worse experience than my current tv offers in watching sports?

Could FALD tech implementation in this model turn dark room movie watching a more unpleasant experience compared to my current edge-led Va panel?

Dodgexander

The U7Q will be an upgrade compared to your current TV in all areas apart from motion. This is because it uses a 60hz panel where your current TV is 120hz, so what you mention about sports is true.

I'd recommend if you are going to use HDR to go for the Sony XH9505 if you can. Going cheaper you really take too many shortcuts with HDR...which can actually cause problems with the picture.

If you want a 65" that isn't really suited for HDR material, but you want to spend less and not get a downgrade in panel hz compared to your Samsung consider the TCL C815 or P815 at 65".

Ilias13

The U7Q will be an upgrade compared to your current TV in all areas apart from motion. This is because it uses a 60hz panel where your current TV is 120hz, so what you mention about sports is true.

I'd recommend if you are going to use HDR to go for the Sony XH9505 if you can. Going cheaper you really take too many shortcuts with HDR...which can actually cause problems with the picture.

If you want a 65" that isn't really suited for HDR material, but you want to spend less and not get a downgrade in panel hz compared to your Samsung consider the TCL C815 or P815 at 65".

I pulled the trigger on Sony XH9505.

I felt Black Friday deal for 1250€ for the 65" was too good to let go!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom