Question 65" TV To Replace Panasonic 58" DX902

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been watching a friends 65" TV for a bit recently and now coming back to my 58" DX902 it feels too small, especially when watching movies.
It's not a new thought, but I've been putting off upgrading as the DX can produce such an awesome image, although I know it's not perfect. I love the HDR punch it can give, whilst also having pretty good black levels. It does have some issues with dark scenes like starfields when detail is lost.

I'd ideally like to spend under £2k, the lower the better obviously and will wait for the deals around Black Friday.
I've come up with the following shortlist, based on Richer Sounds prices.
  • Samsung Q90T £1,699.00
  • LG CX £1,799.00
  • Panasonic HZ980 £1,999.00
  • Sony XH9505 £1,299.00

Which of these would be a good TV to replace the DX902 while increasing to 65"?

Watching Habits
I have fibre internet capable of UHD streaming
Sources
  • Netflix
  • Amazon
  • Disney +
  • PS4 Pro (SDR/HDR)
  • PC gaming (SDR/HDR)
  • UHD & HD Blu Rays
  • Freeview and Freesat
SD (5%) HD (35%) UHD (60%)
50% watching UHD movies, UHD/HD TV from Netflix/Amazon and 50% gaming on PC/PS4.
I sit 3m from my TV.
Mainly watching straight on, but with some seats off to the side. The DX seems to be just about OK for my seating positions.
Watch during the day and night, can get the room reasonbly dark if needed.
Current TV - Panasonic 58" DX902
I do use a bit of the motion interpolation to smooth the picture on the DX but not so that it introduces artifacts or gives the soap opera effect.

PQ Attributes Importance
  1. HDR Colour Accuracy
  2. HDR Colour Saturation
  3. HDR Brightness
  4. Blacks
  5. Local dimming
  6. SDR Colour Accuracy
  7. SDR Colour Saturation
  8. SDR Brightness
  9. How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)

Bugs and Pet Hates in order of annoyance
  1. Software crashes and slow interface response
  2. Soap Opera Effect
  3. Temporary image retention
  4. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
  5. Reflective screens
  6. Motion Judder
  7. Motion stutter
  8. 3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies.
  9. Loss of detail in dark areas
  10. Haloing
  11. Colour banding

Feature Importance
  1. HDR PQ
  2. SDR PQ
  3. Price
  4. Wide Viewing angles
  5. Connections
  6. Smart TV
  7. Sound

my Sony XH9505 comes today to upgrade from my w905a.

Interested in the answers to this.
Ideally I'd like to go from a 65" DX902 to a 75"+ TV but I'm struggling to find anything.

Richer Sounds & John Lewis both have the 75" Sony at £1999.
It's pretty tempting based on the reviews but I have to weigh it up against what my wife would do to my kneecaps

@Eddy555 a fellow DX902 user, thanks for all your help in the owners/issues thread.
I had to laugh when I saw you put software crashes on the top of your list after owning the DX902. I can certainly relate to the unfixed issues with the smart TV on that TV! Thanks for filling out the template - if everyone did it would make recommendations a lot easier :)

On current pricing its hard to ignore the LG BX. The CX is more refined, a slightly better TV but probably not worth the extra. The Sony XH9505 is also a great deal, but I'm not sure you'd be comfortable with its local dimming performance compared to the DX902. If you are more interested in sheer HDR impact rather than picture accuracy the Q90T is also a good contender, but I feel its priced on the high side.

The Panasonic HZ980/HZ1000 should be the same price as the CX, not more. Hopefully they will drop in price. They do have very good picture accuracy, but the smart TV is still the crappy one used on the DX902 so I'm sure it will be more buggy than LGs.

Happy to help out with the owner's thread :)
That's superb, thanks for the feedback @Dodgexander . Yeah I basically don't use the apps on the DX any more and use a Roku or ShieldTV depending on the app.
I'm inclined to agree regarding the Sony. Suprisingly great value, but the reviews have mentioned some issues with local dimming.
I'll put the LG BX on my list.
The Samsung's do seem very expensive for what they are.
It seems like I'm looking at the right kind of models then, just need to ultimately decide whether to go OLED LG/Panasonic or LCD wwith the Q90T....
Hopefully there will be some great deals out there nearer the end of the month.

Yep, although I don't think every owner notices it. Seems to be worse with Sky/broadcast TV than other content.

Hello everyone. I'm following this thread with interest, as I'm faced with the same issue. My 58" 902, is soon to be replaced by something 65". What hi fi awards, the 2020 prize to the Phillips 65OLED805. Is it better than the CX, which is cheaper? I've always had Panasonic, indeed my old 42" plasma, is now my bedroom telly, but I feel the Panasonic 65" versions, don't appear to compete with LG or Samsung?
Just to add, the sound on the 902, is satisfactory.
Advice please.

Last edited:
They compete, but they are more expensive currently.

Any OLED is going to perform similar to each other though, be it from Philips, Sony, LG or anyone they all use the same panels made by LG so differences are small and with picture processing.

I haven't updated it yet, but what was true last year is still true today:
Each manufacturer has their own little pros and cons.

Given that the DX is 4 years old and doesn't support HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. Also the crap smart tv functionality. Would you say it's still one of the best TV's on the market?

Given that the DX can output over 1000 nits DV and HDR10+ would be of little benefit. Yes the smart TV apps aren't great, but that's really remedied with a Roku or Shield. The performance of the panel is still outstanding and Simon Crust uses one for reviewing 4K discs on here.

I think I've made my mind up and am going to get the Samsung Q90T as it should be similar to what I'm used to with the DX.

Given that the DX is 4 years old and doesn't support HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. Also the crap smart tv functionality. Would you say it's still one of the best TV's on the market?

I would say it's the best TV I've owned and I've had a fair few :)

The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is I would like a 75" and the deals on the Sony are really good at the moment.

Given that the DX can output over 1000 nits DV and HDR10+ would be of little benefit. Yes the smart TV apps aren't great, but that's really remedied with a Roku or Shield. The performance of the panel is still outstanding and Simon Crust uses one for reviewing 4K discs on here.

I think I've made my mind up and am going to get the Samsung Q90T as it should be similar to what I'm used to with the DX.
I would say it's the best TV I've owned and I've had a fair few :)

The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is I would like a 75" and the deals on the Sony are really good at the moment.

Thanks guy's. Been tempted to upgrade as the lack of DV and HDR10+ was frustrating, but if you say they wouldn't make much difference then i'm satisfied 👍

Q90T has a waaaay better smart TV interface, it's actually usuable.
Image wise it looks pretty good, but I've not looked too closely at this yet. In theory the 902b should have better local dimming, but the Q90T looks pretty good from my limited viewing so far.
The Q90T is meant to overbrighten HDR a bit, but that is controlable with some calibration.

Q90T has a waaaay better smart TV interface, it's actually usuable.
Image wise it looks pretty good, but I've not looked too closely at this yet. In theory the 902b should have better local dimming, but the Q90T looks pretty good from my limited viewing so far.
The Q90T is meant to overbrighten HDR a bit, but that is controlable with some calibration.
Yeah I’ve saw a demo on one and the colours looked overblown and ott even for Samsung but it was untouched as it came out the box.
But the 902b is a cracking tv.

Right or wrong, the Panasonic TX65GZ950B, old model yes, but it must be a steal at £1399 or £1499, with 5 year warranty. I'm going to give that a try. It's due this week, so once run in, I'll be researching the optimum settings. The choice is vast, but value for money, is a trait of a true Yorkshireman.
I don't play games, so I think this is ok for me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom