65" suggestion (Gaming, Sports, Streaming)

KateB

Novice Member
Hi all.

I’m looking at these two TV’s:

LG Nano81 65 inch 4K NanoCell TV | LG UK

Buy 65" 4K QLED TV | Q60A HDR10+ Smart TV | Samsung UK

I currently have an LG 55UG870V 4K but pre HDR and it has served me very well and I love the magic remote but it's time to upgrade.

My main activities will be PC Gaming, mainly World of Warcraft or Grim Dawn, Last Epoch, Diablo style games, browsing the internet, Sports and streaming movies/TV and the main priority is picture quality – smart apps, speaker quality, voice control e.t.c are just bonuses.

Budget is probably around £1000 - £1300 and will be a 65inch 4K TV.

I will purchase around the beginning of April so I’m not sure if the 2022 models will be out by then.

Manufacturer is unimportant, I just want the best looking picture be it NanoCell, Qled, Oled or anything else.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you.

Katie.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

There are better buys than the two you've picked out that I find hard to recommend personally.

With a limited budget you may be better off looking at bagging last years higher end models at a discount rather than going for this years TVs and getting less value. For example, the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q95T are both pro HDR TVs from last year, and you may still find them in your budget, whereas this years TVs you'll probably be looking at starter HDR, or semi-pro HDR TVs instead.

KateB

Novice Member
Thank you Dodgexander.

I notice that the two you mentioned: Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q95T are both 2020 models yet you link your 21/22 best value tv guide, is that correct or should I be looking at 2021 models at the beginning of April when the 2022 models come out?

If that is correct, are they the only two you recommend? I’ve had a look around and the major companies, like John Lewis, Curry’s, AO, Argos, Amazon e.t.c don’t have them in stock and the shops that do I’ve never heard of.

If I do go for a 2020 model in April are there any tech upgrades that have been added to 21/22 models that I would be missing out on? The reason I ask is when I bought my LG 4K tv back in February 2016 a few months later HDR was released and I don't want to buy a new set and something like that happens again. So I don’t mind getting an older model as long as it’s fairly future proof.

Also after spending the day looking at various online shops and videos I’m not against getting a 55” if it means getting a superior TV – again I want the absolute best I can get picture wise, deep blacks and vibrant colours be it OLED, QLED, LED or NanoCell or anything else.

Thank you again

Katie.

Dodgexander

Yes, if you're willing to wait and track pricing so you can swoop when the price is right the current range of TVs will get discounted soon as new models enter the shops. There are also refurb outlets for Sony and Panasonic that this time of year tend to already have good deals.

When I looked sonic direct were still selling the XH9505, they don't have the same reputation as places like Richer Sounds, John Lewis or Costco have, but they aren't as bad as Currys and offer the TV with a 5-year warranty.

The Q95T is also available from Costco, you have to sign up for a membership to buy it.

You shouldn't need to downsize to a 55".

If I do go for a 2020 model in April are there any tech upgrades that have been added to 21/22 models that I would be missing out on? The reason I ask is when I bought my LG 4K tv back in February 2016 a few months later HDR was released and I don't want to buy a new set and something like that happens again. So I don’t mind getting an older model as long as it’s fairly future proof.
It depends on the TV and your use case. The Sony XH9505 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but that's only really important if you're a gamer. The Samsung Q95T does. They aren't going to be less future proof than TVs in this year's guide otherwise, in fact you can argue the Sony is actually better than the newer X95J in some respects.

At the right time, with the right deal TVs in the pro section may be in your budget. Usually the discounts happen between spring and summer.

Still, since it's not long to wait for some potential clearance deals, I'd say it's worth it. Not having HDR on your LG isn't a bad thing btw, HDR often can't be avoided on TVs whether they a good job displaying it or not, so you have avoided a lot of picture quality problems by not having HDR compatibility on that model.

KateB

Novice Member
Thank you.

As of now I’m leaning towards the Q95T mainly because you rate it slightly higher than the XH9505 in your 20/21 buyers guide, it’s available at Costco at a good price and because of the one connect box although as I watch a lot of sports, Football, NFL & Baseball I’m a little concerned with the motion blur issue I keep hearing about. Also as I have a Samsung phone perhaps I’m subconsciously pushing myself towards the Q95T.

I’ve been watching so many videos’s and reading so many web pages that it’s all becoming a bit of a blur but I am detecting a bit of a bias against Samsung, whenever it’s compared to other brands it generally loses – especially against Sony but like I said it’s all becoming a blur so maybe I’m reading too much into it.

I do have a question about the one connect box though. Assuming that the Q90 & Q95T are exactly the same except for the connect box, do the inputs on the TV and on the box work separately i.e do you get twice the amount of connections?

Finally, if you were buying one of these two which would you go for? Or perhaps something different entirely?

Thank you again

Katie.

Dodgexander

For sports I'd probably go for the XH9505 personally. It tends to have vignetting instead of DSE which is a lot better for sport watching. Especially for grass sports.

The Q95T is probably the more impressive and immersive TV otherwise, and likely to wow you more when watching HDR content.

Not sure which motion blur issue you mean, but typically both TVs will have some blur, especially in darker areas of the picture. It's not really something you should notice during sports though.

One connects box replaces the connections on the TV, you don't get twice the connections.

KateB

Novice Member
Thank you again Dodgexander.

I do watch a lot of sports but I also watch TV shows, films and use it as a PC monitor so I think I'll get the Q95T - assuming it's still available in 3-4 weeks time and I can get it with the basic online shopping Costco membership.

Thanks again.

Katie.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom