65" Sony 9305 or Samsung Q8

pwood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I had pretty much decided on the Sony 9305 to replace my 8 year old Panny plasma which has now dropped to £2k. Then I saw the Samsung QE65Q8FAM 65 inch for £1799 today! I previously discounted the Sony 9005 purely as it will never receive a Dolby Vision update and wanted the best possible HDR performance, without going all in on the price static ZD9, which is why I settled on the 9305.

Last edited:
I think the price for the Q8 was a mistake, it seems to have raised now. Someone got in there to make the purchase, hopefully they got the price but lets see.

Ironically though the Sony XE9305 is still the better TV overall. In fact I'd go as far as saying even the Sony XE9005 is.

So I would choose the XE9305 if I wasn't going OLED.

C&M still showing the Samsung. I kinda wondered if the 9005 was arguably the better tv for less compared with the Q8 and know you often recommend it. I Intend on renting from Cinema Paradiso and sub to Netflix and already have Amazon so have the potential for a decent amount of HDR content so will probably end up with the 9305. I wonder if I can ask you another quick question. My Onkyo 875 av amp does not have ARC and I am considering a Sony N1080 to replace it. I would prefer to wait a bit and get a Yamaha A Series but need to know if the Sony 9305 outputs Dolby Digital Plus out of its optical connection which would allow me to enjoy decent sound meantime. I know it will not do DTS MA etc but not sure on DD+ via optical.

I think it will do at least standard DD and DTS not sure with DD+ as i think that may be a HDMI only format.

Won't matter quality wise much though with Netflix/Amazon as their DD+ streams are very compressed and come out mostly on par with standard DD levels when decoded and converted.

As long as it’s DD I’ll be happy enough in the interim, thanks for you help Dodgexander.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom