1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

65 or 75?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jayb, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive decided on a set of Mission FS2/AV's, I know the FS2 is now quite an old setup, but with a price tag of £350 all in, are an obviouse choice when you have to take in to consideration "Wife Friendly"(looks and budget). Also I have read lots of threads and get the firm impression that most people are very happy with them.
    I had narrowed down the AV receiver to a Yam 430,530 or 630( again after much thread combing:boring: ), I then dismissed the 430 due to lack of connections, leaving the 530 or 630. I then thought I had settled on the 530 as the extra benefits of the 630 were not worth the extra £100 to me.(I doubt if I would ever have a back middle speaker and more connections than you can shake a stick at). However I than read a thread stating that you should go for 75 watts or the speakers can sound underpowered? I know with NXT you do need more power to drive them compared to conventional speakers, but would a drop to 65 watts make that much difference bearing in mind my room is only 14ft x 12ft
    :confused:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have a opinion on the Yams so if you have a strong point against one paired with a set of AV2's please let me know and I can start the amp search all over again.....:( :(

Many thanks to anyone who can help me put this to bed....:smashin:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The FS2s deliver up to 75W from what I see from the specs. I would therefore use a receiver that is rated slightly higher than this. The reason is that a more powerful receiver will deliver a less distorted audio signal at higher volumes (it will clip less often as it has more headroom). This will be better for the speakers (a distorted signal can damage a speaker's tweeter). Just be careful not to turn the receiver volume to MAX and use the speakers within their limits.

3. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as I thought, you think you are getting there then suddenly BANG and you fly off in another direction, the world of home cinema is a tough one......:(

so squirrel god, what you are saying in a nut shell (get it!) is the 530 would not be ideally suited to the FS2's although I am sure I read a thread were yamaha stated a working range of between 35 and 75 Watts?
    So would I be better considering the Sony STR-DB1080 which has an output of 100W, the reason I origanally dismissed it, I thought it was too powerfull for the speakers.

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sg is (as usual:mad: ) right.

A more powerful amp is usually a better bet, if only because it has less chance of killing your speakers when turned up really loud than a cheap one - wierd non?
    As for the Sony, they tend to be rather bright, which can expose the midrange weakness of the NXT flat panels (they seem to be all treble and no mid range). Have a listen to the low-mid range Denons - they will probably suit the FS2s better.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jayb,

First thing to bear in mind is that I am no expert. If you pop into the General Chat forum, you will see that I have just started down this road and had to get a hell of a lot of advice from many of my friends on this forum.

I just bought a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS (the same model as the RXV-430, but in titanium colour rather than black) and the Mission 700 6-pack. The UK-spec Yamaha 430 will output up to 65W RMS per channel, but the N American model outputs up to 75W RMS per channel, so be careful where you are reading the specs!!

Look at the UK specs for the receivers you are considering and get a receiver that is a bit more powerful. But don't just buy the most powerful receiver as it won't make much difference since your FS2s are limited at 75W, and there is more to sound output than just raw power!

In case you are interested, Groundy sent me a link to a review comparing the Sony 1080 with the Yamaha 630 which you might find helpful:

http://www.area450.com/homecinema/amplifiers/yammyvssony.htm

BTW, please do check that the FS2s do indeed output at a max. of 75W RMS because I took that information from www.mission.co.uk from the top range of the recommended amplifier output and it doesn't say whether it's RMS or not.

6. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input evil and Squirrel that link to the reveiw was very useful and has moved me towards the 630, I haven't really considered the denon after reading a few dodgy reveiws (1803) although i'm sure every peice of kit available has a bad reveiw somewhere.

So far then the 630 looks favourite with most of the reveiws I have read being very positive, but if you can reccomend a Denon amp I will try and get a demo so I have something to compare with the 630

I have also read the AEGO P5 speakers are a good option and can be purchased without the decoder to run off my amp ......should I consider these instead of the FS2's....I will do more researh with regards these(and in the right forum) but any input would be welcome

Thanks for your useful comments so far ......the end is near I can feal it in my water.....:D

7. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    The Yamaha 630 has some more differences with the lower models than what you commented. It is not just more connections, power and a real 6.1, but also sound processing. It includes,as well as the higher ones, the so called ToPArt (it was this name, as far as I remember), which is supposed to affect the signal as little as possible, as well as reduce the analog part of the amplification, in order to get a more "pure" sound. I don't know how much of truth is there, but they say that.
    In addition, I would recommend you to take a look at Marantz 5300 or 4300 and Harman-Kardon 2550, which I saw in many places here as direct competitors of the Yam630. The final balance I drew from there was Yam better if you mostly watch movies, HK fifty-fifty, and Marantz better for music. Don't know about Denon. Many Marantz owners in this forum found that they got a faulty unit, and some units still have a problem with the delay when changing the sound format. I have a Yam 530 and I am very satisfied. I wouldn't go for the HK since I don't like the looks, although it is not that important, in the range of musicality differences I was for my choice, it became important.

8. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cribeiro for your input, I have read your comments on the 530(very long, but informative....:smashin: ) and have also read many threads with regards the 4300 and although i'm sure it has its fans, including a good reveiw in What HI FI, I will probably steer clear. I will check out the HK although at the moment the 630 is still the hot favourite, sure we will play cd's which at the moment are played on a PS2 through a 9 year old Toshiba with psuedo surround, hence if the 630 is maybe not quite up to scratch when it comes to music i'm sure it will sound a damn site better than the Tosh.

Ok now over to the speaker section to make sure the AF2's are the answer (god i'm insecure.....:rolleyes: )

If any one else has any input with regards amps/speakers just jot it down as i'm sure right up until I walk out of the shop with it I will still be open to suggestions.......;)

9. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the chance to buy a yam630rds and FS2's. They are 2-3 weeks old and he is asking £600.
    He said the reason for the sale is dew to the messing around involved (pressing buttons, swapping outputs) when it comes to wanting to play music

so firstly does that sound genuine?

Secondly, I will also be playing music through my DVD although the main reason is for movies, so will I have the same problem?

Finaly does £600 for this two week old system sound like a bargain?

Finally final if I do get the chance to have a look at it set up, is there anything I should look out for

Many thanks

Jay