65" or 75" Recommendation

Captain Col

Standard Member
I'm looking to get a TV for a home bar area. It will be used for sport and some film viewing, connected to a 2.1 system. I have a couple of 49" TVs in the house, so this will be the biggest screen, but since the bar is at the bottom of the garden, it won't be used day-to-day and any film watching will be part of a conscious effort especially since we'd need to be in the house in the evenings whilst the young kids are in bed. I mention this as I think it frames how serious we need to be about quality, i.e. I'm not trying to build a high-end home cinema.

The TV unfortunately needs to be mounted higher than I'd like, so bottom of the screen will be at the top of my head, but viewing will be from a sofa approx. 5m away so not so much neck strain from looking up.

I have a budget of around £1,000 with some flexibility and wondered what suggestions might be. I've been looking at the LG 75NANO866PA on the basis that it looked ok in the shop and the viewing distance might make a 75" screen better than a higher quality 65" screen.

Would welcome any thoughts on this - you guys are always incredibly helpful when it comes to these things.

Thanks

Col

Dodgexander

Depending on how bright it will get when you use the TV you may have problems outside using TV's that can get around 500 nits peak with your budget. I'd probably look at models like the Sony X90J or Samsung Q80A at very least as they can get quite a bit brighter.

HDR will just be unwatchable though, even with these TVs. It will look too dark and a plan may need to be put in place to try and avoid watching HDR material on the TV which will enable automatically from internal apps.

Htfanboy

Do t touch a non oled lg tv ever. Has many complaints and negative reviews.

Increase budget/save up for a decent 77 inch plus sized tv. They don't come cheap and the cheaper you go the worse they are.

Whatever you do. Don't have the tv too high. And never sit 5 meters away unless you getting 100 plus inches screen.

Captain Col

Standard Member
Depending on how bright it will get when you use the TV you may have problems outside using TV's that can get around 500 nits peak with your budget. I'd probably look at models like the Sony X90J or Samsung Q80A at very least as they can get quite a bit brighter.

HDR will just be unwatchable though, even with these TVs. It will look too dark and a plan may need to be put in place to try and avoid watching HDR material on the TV which will enable automatically from internal apps.

Thanks for the reply.

The TV isn't going to be outside but in a solid outbuilding and blackout curtains are in the post as I type. I assume your concerns around brightness etc were assuming the screen would be outside?

Htfanboy

Clearly not. The cheaper the tv the less bright it is therefore HDR is not presented as it's designed to be.

Captain Col

Standard Member
Clearly not. The cheaper the tv the less bright it is therefore HDR is not presented as it's designed to be.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but your replies seem to be laced with attitude and disdain. What may be clear to you might not be clear to others. I'm asking for some help and guidance and you've only come up with problems, saying everything I'm doing is wrong, shouldn't be done or I'm wasting my time.

Whilst I am able to stretch the budget a little, I don't want to spend too much more on a TV that isn't even in the house, don't have the space for anything over 75", can only mount the TV high up and will be sitting 5m from the TV. If there are any helpful suggestions on actual TVs that would be much appreciated.

Dodgexander

SDR - No problem in your situation, even with the cheapest TV.
HDR - You only start to be able to use it properly with more expensive TVs such as the X90J or Q80A I mentioned, but whilst these TVs will improve with HDR compared to cheaper TVs that are even dimmer, they still will have problems sometimes with titles.

Best thing to do would be to buy cheap, keep to a brand that makes their own TVs and pair the TV with a Roku or similar so you can use the TV without HDR for those moments it auto engages from internal apps.

Captain Col

Standard Member
SDR - No problem in your situation, even with the cheapest TV.
HDR - You only start to be able to use it properly with more expensive TVs such as the X90J or Q80A I mentioned, but whilst these TVs will improve with HDR compared to cheaper TVs that are even dimmer, they still will have problems sometimes with titles.

Best thing to do would be to buy cheap, keep to a brand that makes their own TVs and pair the TV with a Roku or similar so you can use the TV without HDR for those moments it auto engages from internal apps.

Thanks buddy. I hadn't realised HDR was such a minefield and certainly hadn't appreciated that SDR might ever be better than bad HDR. What's the actual issue with the lower brightness screens as I haven't quite joined the dots in my brain?

I could stretch the budget to the £1,400 needed to get a 75" X90J or Q80A, or go for the 65" X90J which can be had for £900 at the moment, which might be more sensible.

Given the use case and viewing distance, would you be going for a better 65" or lesser 75" or compromising on both to save the money (65" X90J or less) given I'm not going to get anything perfect?

Edit: how does the HDR on my KD49XE9005 compare? Can't say I've ever been overwhelmed by HDR content so I'm now wondering.

Dodgexander

The Samsung QN95A can currently be found for a very good price at 65" and is recommended as an enthusiast TV in my guide. By comparison, TV's like the Sony X90J and Samsung Q80A are only starter models.

In my guide today, the Sony XE9005 would be in the semi pro section, in other words its still a better overall TV with picture quality than the X90J and the Samsung Q80A.

The problem with HDR is down to how its designed. They didn't think through how it would display on TV's without the necessary hardware to display it. It means with some HDR titles using them on LCD TVs that don't get very bright means the picture can look washed out and too dark.

In the past with SDR picture quality scaled well on cheaper TVs, but with HDR it's a mess with cheaper models. It wouldn't be an issue if you could turn HDR off, but you often can't.

Captain Col

Standard Member
The Samsung QN95A can currently be found for a very good price at 65" and is recommended as an enthusiast TV in my guide. By comparison, TV's like the Sony X90J and Samsung Q80A are only starter models.

In my guide today, the Sony XE9005 would be in the semi pro section, in other words its still a better overall TV with picture quality than the X90J and the Samsung Q80A.

The problem with HDR is down to how its designed. They didn't think through how it would display on TV's without the necessary hardware to display it. It means with some HDR titles using them on LCD TVs that don't get very bright means the picture can look washed out and too dark.

In the past with SDR picture quality scaled well on cheaper TVs, but with HDR it's a mess with cheaper models. It wouldn't be an issue if you could turn HDR off, but you often can't.

Awesome, will take a look at the QE65QN95AATXXU

Any other suggestions in a similar ballpark or is that about it at the moment?

Thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom