Question 65" or 75" Q9FN?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by immafirestarter, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. immafirestarter

immafirestarter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I am looking to buy a new TV for my recently purchased flat. I have decided on a Samsung Q9FN; only problem is which size. I have the budget for both, but would prefer to spend less money of course, so I am enquiring as to whether it is worth spending the extra £2.5K? My viewing distance is approximately 2.5m.

I have a TV cabinet in white very similar to this one: BESTÅ TV storage combination/glass doors Black-brown/valviken grey-turquoise clear glass 300 x 40 x 192 cm - IKEA
    The 75' would fit snugly with about 10cm above and 5cm at the sides, whereas the 65' would have about 25cm at the top and 20cm both sides; any ideas as to which would look better in the stand?

I am inclined to go for the 65', but just wanted some more opinions as I have regretted buying TV's too small in the past (although I doubt anyone could call a 65' TV too small!).

Edit: The TV would be mixed use but mostly Gaming, netflix and sports in that order.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Do you need to buy now? it would be a mistake in my opinion to pay current pricing when as close as black friday these TVs will probably be a lot cheaper. If you waited 10 months from now the Q9FN may be in clearance at a lot of places costing a fraction of what you would pay now.

If you wait to buy at the right time you can find some very good deals. Right now may still be a good time to find good value deals on 2017 models clearing out stock for example such as the Sony 75XE9005.

2.5m is pretty far for UHD content so you'll definitely want a larger model to see more detail in higher quality sources. If however your sources are not going to be anything more than normal TV/streams then a smaller TV may be a better option.

3. immafirestarter

immafirestarter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, would you think that the 75" model will be discounted come black Friday? I would certainly be willing to hold off until then if the price drops to around the 4K mark. For now I only have my old Panasonic TX37 so would ideally want to upgrade as soon as possible, so if the price drop isn't significant I would want to buy now. I would consider older models but the reviews that the Q9FN have received have really made me keen on that model. I intend to buy a PS pro for the TV as well as upgrade to premium netflix so I will have some 4K content.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    The 75" model is certainly less likely to see the same discounts the 65" model will get just because it's more of a niche size, especially here in the UK.

I know it's a great TV, but I just can't see how it justifies the extra over a TV like the XE9005 on current pricing, it will be better of course..but it's more than twice as expensive as the XE9005 and almost twice as expensive as even the new Sony XF9005. To put it relatively I do not think its going to be twice as good.

But of course we are talking very premium tv's here so all my talk on value may mean little if you do not mind paying a premium for getting the very latest and greatest.

I guess I have to ask, how much do you care about value? If you do then probably you will be better off either waiting for the right deal on the Q9FN and buying at the right time or possibly going for a 2017 model at a discount instead.

TV pricing follows the same pattern each year with now being a poor time to buy new models. If they have just been released they can cost as much as 50% more than they will a year later.

5. immafirestarter

immafirestarter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I care about value enough to not spend twice as much on a TV that is only slightly better, and that may be half the price in a year; thank you for that advice. I just had a look at an XF9005 and that looks very enticing. However, as you said now is a poor time to be buying a TV, so I think I will wait until Black Friday and have a look then.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    We usually see some great deals at Black Friday and sometimes retailer discount codes too. The wisest people on here will keep an eye open on a few models they know ticks their boxes and keep active on the forum and the respective TVs price changes then swoop when the right deal comes along. It takes some time and patience but its worthwhile when you bag a bargain! :)

7. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Q8DN should be in the running too, depending on price difference between it and Q9FN.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Agreed, the Q8DN is very overpriced compared to an already overpriced Q9FN right now but Samsung overprice on release more than any manufacturer to make deals and discounts throughout the year look better.

9. tennard

tennard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just placed an order for the 75 Q8DN. Came to £4399 incl. Pretty excited to upgrade my 65' KS7000

10. immafirestarter

immafirestarter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting... my room is pretty bright though, but I will have a look...

May I enquire where you ordered this from, can't seem to find listings anywhere in the UK...

11. tennard

tennard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From here QE75Q8DN 75 inch QLED Ultra HD Premium HDR 1500 Smart TV

Turns out though it's listed as "In Stock" on the website, after I ordered I was told it is in fact only arriving in 2-3weeks. Same as what other UK suppliers have indicated.

I actually briefly considered importing it from BH photo

Samsung Q8FN-Series 75"-Class HDR UHD Smart QN75Q8FNBFXZA

Works out cheaper even with shipping, and hefty duty and taxes. The big drawback would be loss of warranty in the UK and expensive returns if their is an issue. Oh and you'd need a 240v to 110v transformer.

I'd buy the Q9FN in a heartbeat too, but as a personal preference find the stand simply too ugly and impractical (for soundbar) compared to the elegant looking and sturdier Q8DN legs. (I'm kind of OCD like that haha)

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    You can buy your own stand to fit the TVs vesa wall mount holes.

13. tennard

tennard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Possibly. On the other hand it seems a rather difficult proposition. While I haven't spent hours on it, but when I looked didn't see options for 75" and a "feet spread apart" look.

The ones with "feet apart" seemed to be for lower sized screen and looked cheap.

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I'm pretty sure you can get stands with feet apart and if you can't you can get centre stands with adjustable height.

You may also consider TV pedestal stands which integrate wall mounting mechanisms and soundbar mounts.