65" OLED or 75" Sony?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Skyfall74, Jan 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Skyfall74

Skyfall74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I currently have a 6 year old, 55” HD TV with passive 3D and feel ready to upgrade.

I am deciding between the 65” LG 65OLEDE6V or the 75” Sony KD75XD9405.

I am attracted to the OLED one because of the passive 3D which is 1080p to each eye, which people have had nothing but good things to say, i.e. best 3D on market, no flicker, no crosstalk, convincing depth etc. Also of course, the fact that it’s OLED with the obvious improvement on picture quality over standard flat panel screens.

I’m attracted to the Sony screen because it is HUGE, the picture quality is very good, and I like the ‘natural motion’. The active 3D on it isn’t great, so in going for this TV I would essentially be forgoing the 3D as I see the flicker with this type technology. Am a tiny bit concerned it might be too big as I sit around 2.8 meters from my screen.

Questions I’m pondering over:

1) Are Sky going to stop their 3D service and if so, how far is this away?

2) Is 55” to a 65” a worthwhile screen size upgrade?

3) Is the natural motion on the LG as good as Sony?

4) Can the natural motion on the LG be activated in 3D mode?

Advice?

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
    Take a look at the results from this test.

and the reviews on here:
    Sony XD94 (KD-75XD9405) Ultra HD 4K TV Review
    LG E6 (OLED65E6V) UHD 4K TV Review

In the shootout the XD94 actually performs worse than the E6 in HDR which says a lot when the other FALD TVs outperform the E6.

I thought sky already stopped their 3D service. If not they may do soon since no 2017 models will even come with 3D. :(

Yes, but make make sure you view close enough to notice UHD, see the chart: TV Viewing Distance Guide

By natural motion I am guessing you mean motion interpolation? Due to the nature of the display technology, OLED like plasma has next to no motion blur so it beats LCDs in this respect. Motion without adding any interpolation setting looks more "natural" in my opinion on OLEDs but if you do want to use motion interpolation in the options the Sony does have a stronger setting allowing you to view 1080 lines a second rather than 600 with the LG E6.

However the any motion setting you use on either TV will introduce SOE (Soap opera effect). The Sony on its max setting drawing 1080 lines also introduces flicker so in my opinion this is always set too off. If you prefer it for things like sport, I would only use a slight setting on both these tv's.
    Unfortunately I think Samsung have much better motion interpolation that allows the full 1080 lines to be drawn without introducing SOE. Panasonic can also do it with their own RFI but it comes second to the Samsung SUHD tv's.

Both LG and Sony tv's motion control disabled (or whatever each brand calls the tech) will be equivalent, but with the LG having less motion blur.

its a hard one to choose but I would base it on viewing distance, if you feel you sit close enough to optimally view UHD on a 65" screen thats fine. If you find you are at a more optimal distance for 75" then it makes sense to go bigger. Of course that is if you value things like resolution over contrast and 3d performance.

I'm afraid I don't know about the motion interpolation in 3D mode but my guess would be no. perhaps someone else knows more than me.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  3. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    I can see a wee bit of flicker on my active 3D Sony, but I personally am quite content with it. I can only suggest that you try the 3D if you do buy the Sony.

2.8 metres?? Pah! In both my parlour and kitchen the front row of seats is seven feet six inches from the 75" Full HD screens , and since you will have a 4K screen you should sit a bit closer.

Barely. I recently gave my 60" LG plasma to a friend, and she has, at least initially, noticed the size increase over her 40" Samsung, which has now been relegated to her bedroom! Years ago I replaced a 42" Pioneer with a 50" Pioneer, and nobody noticed the size increase.