Question 65" LED 4K TV on a budget of £1000

steve72

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have narrowed down my search :) And yet i feel I have got no further.
Any help is appreciated as it will help stop my poor eyes from bleeding flipping from website to website until the early hours of the morning. so many different model numbers.

I am looking for a 65" Tv to replace a old Samsung plasma 50" it still works so I can wait if needed. It is getting closer to the Black Friday deals so i do not want to miss out on a great opportunity.

I view TV pretty much straight on. so would not need wide viewing angles. HDR content is not really a major problem currently. my internet is not the fastest and I only have a xbox one.
SD vs HD vs UHD 50%50% I don't currently have any UHD devices.
Movies, sport, console games. 60%30%10%
I can view the TV from 1-2 meters away and pretty much straight on.
I view during the day, but watch films in the night with lights on. Happy to turn off though.

This tv looks good but no idea when it arrives in EU or if it will arrive. Hisense 65H9F 65-inch does any one have information?

I have narrowed my choices down to: still open to better suggestions.
HISENSE H65U8BUK £800
Samsung UE65RU8000 £899
LG 65 SM8500PLA £900
tcl 65ec780

if there is a model which is cheaper and gives the same viewing I am happy to consider also.

Thanks eagerly awaiting your input.

Hisense, much the same as TCL use different models in North America to Europe so we don't see TVs like their H9F here, in fact the TVs firmware is completely different instead opting to run Android TV there, whilst here the models run their own smart TV; Vidaa.

My concern for you shopping for an UHD model is the quality of your sources. If you are still watching a lot of lower quality content such as regular broadcast TV, especially if its not HD yet then I'm not sure you will be best pleased with a new UHD model. These models will upscale everything you throw at them but they have to upscale them a lot more to UHD resolution than HD so the picture on a bigger TV and an UHD one at that will not be as sharp. The TVs are designed more to look good with high quality sources and won't "polish' everything and make it look better like marketing may lead you to believe.

Sources that are high quality HD or higher will look good like when the Xbox One upscales HD to UHD, or when using HD Blu-Ray's, but things like DVDs, standard TV or catch-up TV will look meh on a larger TV compared to your current one.

If you can make the move to avoid SD as much as possible, moving your sources instead to higher quality ones then it makes an upgrade more worthwhile.

So a question for you; how will you be viewing sport and what quality will it be in?

What about Movies? are we talking movies on regular TV? HD?SD? or Movies with a Blu-Ray player?

If the internet locally is too slow for UHD streaming services, have you considered buying UHD Blu-Rays and an UHD Blu-Ray player to get the most from the new TV?

A minimum is required of 15mb to stream Netflix in UHD, which is obtainable to some people with a non-fibre traditional ADSL 2 connection, but not ADSL 1.

Thanks for quick reply
Nearly all of my content is HD with some SD thrown in. . TV via satellite is HD> i will be moving in the future and hoping to reach faster internet speeds. 15mb is my max at the moment. Sports again is minimum HD quality . I am in Spain so my Satellite channels are limited currently. only a few full HD available. will change soon though.

HD TV you may get away with, but its still not fantastic quality. With my 65" model I was shocked at how bad regular HD TV looked and found SD unwatchable.

In your circumstances the Samsung RU8000 is your best bet, it even has gaming features like Freesync and motion settings available for gaming without adding input lag for use with your Xbox One.

15mb, if delivered at that speed to the TV you may just get away with UHD one Netflix, worth taking out a free trial to see.

"Samsung RU8000 " its last years model. would this years model be Ok as well? price is about the same i think.

NU8000 from 2018 as arguably a better TV than this years RU8000, but it was also more expensive this time last year.

got my models the wrong way around lol. Dodgexander I read that somewhere as well buy the NU over the RU :) they do not like to make this easy. lets asy next year i am going to be in a new place with better Internet. which TV would you suggest? or still the same model.

got my models the wrong way around lol. Dodgexander I read that somewhere as well buy the NU over the RU :) they do not like to make this easy. lets asy next year i am going to be in a new place with better Internet. which TV would you suggest? or still the same model.
It depends when in the year you buy it, buying around spring/summer tie is usually best. You want to avoid buying a 2020 model early, so you need to wait at least a year from now, maybe later if you are interested in newer models.

Say in spring/summer time you are looking at 2019 models you may find TVs that are higher end drop in to your price range such as the Samsung Q70R..maybe even Sony XG9505.

It depends when in the year you buy it, buying around spring/summer tie is usually best. You want to avoid buying a 2020 model early, so you need to wait at least a year from now, maybe later if you are interested in newer models.

Say in spring/summer time you are looking at 2019 models you may find TVs that are higher end drop in to your price range such as the Samsung Q70R..maybe even Sony XG9505.
its not easy parting with our hard earned bucks :) I have the money and its burning a hole lol. I shall be waiting for your updated lists and see what Black Friday brings.

its not easy parting with our hard earned bucks :) I have the money and its burning a hole lol. I shall be waiting for your updated lists and see what Black Friday brings.
You get the itch and want to buy, I know how it goes. Believe me the kind of deals that come along if you wait until the right time are worth it.

I've seen price mistakes where people have bought TVs for £500 less than TVs are selling for in the shops.

My own TV I purchased in 2019 was a refurb Panasonic 65" DX902 LCD TV, released at over £4000 new it was £3400 new when I purchased a refurb for £900.

There are TVs it beats now in some areas costing as much as 3x as much.

You get the itch and want to buy, I know how it goes. Believe me the kind of deals that come along if you wait until the right time are worth it.

I've seen price mistakes where people have bought TVs for £500 less than TVs are selling for in the shops.

My own TV I purchased in 2019 was a refurb Panasonic 65" DX902 LCD TV, released at over £4000 new it was £3400 new when I purchased a refurb for £900.

There are TVs it beats now in some areas costing as much as 3x as much.
WOW that was a great deal. I have time on my side so I can wait a little longer :) I live in Spain and as you can guess it gets very hot. another reason to change is this Tv kicks out so much heat. I suppose in the winter that would be a bonus. but not in the summers we get. I was in the shop the other day and the TV;s had nothing or little heat output.

Heat and power consumption is a strange one with TVs. They consume a lot less power than they used to generally but if you have a higher end model, particularly when you watch HDR content they still give off a lot of heat.

Extra brightness = extra power and heat

The power consumption of the best 65 LCD TV with HDR (Samsung Q90R) is a whacking 262w which is more than an old 60" Pioneer Plasma would use during a regular movie.

Luckily cheaper models that don't get as bright, or even higher end models when HDR is not used, don't get anywhere near as hungry as that. The Q90R when used with SDR only uses around 70w. More than 3x less than HDR mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom