• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

65 inch TV choice

Dazzar

Novice Member
Hi all , we have just exchanged on our dream home and I am about ready to purchase a new 65". We currently have a Sony 65 xd9305 and the plan is that this will be passed upstairs to our bedroom. I really want an oled panel and have been waiting a while to purchase one. I was in john Lewis today and was very close to buying an Sony af9 today that was returned and on reduction for 2800. The fact that it was in the bargain section as someone returned it put me off. As it was probably returned as there was something wrong with it. None the less the sony af9 reviews attest to this being the best 65 that you can buy at the moment but I feel it is still a bit pricey at its original price of 3200. I watch alot of football and enjoy 4k on prime and Netflix, and the TV will be wall mounted. The lg c8 is cheeper and i thought this might be an option but reviews mention lag and I figured this will cause issues with live sports. The Panasonic 65 is priced the same as the Sony so can see a reason to go there. Whenever I watch the Samsung qleds on display they make me heady as they are so bright, this may be beacuse they are set to Max brightness but are they a viable option? Bottom line I would pay the 3200 for the af9 but wonder if there is much benefit to be gained from a panel that is alot cheeper i.e. af8 c8 or any reccomeded qled.

Please help

sagaris99

Prominent Member
Have a look at this thread, different situation I know, but may answer some questions
Question - LC OLED55C8 or Sony KD55AF9BU???

We all tend to agree in the forum that even though everyone has their favourites, there is no ‘best tv’. Reviews help, but no tv is perfect, as everyone has different needs. It’s about finding what’s best for you.

Answer these questions quickly to help us suggest the ideal choice
What do you normally watch
Do you game
Sky/Netflix/Apple Tv/Amazon
What is your intention for sound, tv or sound system
Any other useful info

To go through the three options in OLED you picked out -

Sony 65 AF9
Why buy? General opinion is that it’s a great tv, has the best built in sound, arguably best sports performance. Polarising design, not my taste but I can see why some really like it, works best on a stand.
Why not buy? As you may have read, the OS (though not awful) isn’t up to standard yet, and so if the apps and UI were important to you, not the best choice. Reviewed as having decent HDR performance but not the best. Though a good speaker setup (100w, by far the best built in sound) it’s not as good as a sound bar or AVR setup. You’re paying a premium for the sound for sure. Simply, a great TV, but is it worth £900 more than a C8? I’ll take some convincing.

Buy it if you want the best motion performance and best built in sound.

The Fz952.
Why buy? Perceived to have the most accurate colour representation and accuracy. If you’re a videophile, this is probably the best outright picture on the market. Simple OS, decent app support, pretty good sound. HDR10+ support, great HD up scaling.
Why not buy? Though good, the OS is not as advanced as LG or Samsung. No DV or DA, only 2 of the HDMIs are full bandwidth (if connecting things up to it was important, not ideal), arguably not as well made as the Sony. Not as bright as the LG or Sony (HDR performance may suffer). If your intention was to use a sound bar or speakers, buy the FZ802 - same picture and OS, not paying for the sound.

Buy the FZ952 or the 802 if you want the best possible picture for most things.

C8.
Why buy? Great HDR performance, DV and DA support, arguably the best OS, great apps range, decent upscaling. Magic remote system is super easy compared to Android and the Sony remote. Sport, while not as crisp as the AF9, is far from bad... it’s fine for most. Best gaming performance, brightest OLED on sale (better for HDR). Seeing as you use Netflix and Amazon, great HDR performance is ideal, especially DV support, which traditionally the performance on the AF9 hasn’t been great for. For 900 less than the AF9, it’s not missing anything really.
Why not buy? Compared to the AF9 and FZ952, the sound output isn’t great (though spend £900 on a sound system and you’ll blow them both out the water). As mentioned, sport performance could be better, and as an owner, I’d like more apps but all the essential ones are there.

Buy the C8 if you want the best all round tv on the market.

Interesting you found the best reviewed tv was the AF9. For AVforums, techradar, Stuff, Which, Whathifi, rtings, Digital trends, trusted reviews, the C8 is either the best TV or the best OLED, as an all rounder. The 65 C8 is AVforums best rated TV.

Now, of course I’m biased. I bought a 55 C8 so I’m hardly going to admit that another tv is better. However, I struggle to believe that in raw terms, the AF9 and FZ952 as a package are worth nearly £1k more than the C8. As I mentioned, pair the C8 with a killer sound bar or amp and I’m not sure it can be beaten as an all around package. If they were all the same price, that’s a different question, and much harder to answer.....

Last edited:

Angelo M

Established Member
In your shoes I would buy the LG 65C8.

The image quality is about the 65AF9 one (the Sony panel is build by LG Display).

The LG killer feature is the superior O.S. + the fantastic Magic Remote.

Below the Avforums 65C8 review. :)

LG C8 (OLED65C8PLA) Review

faidtoblack

Established Member
This may be helpful or it may not, but FWIW I recently purchased a returned TV (55FZ802) from my local JL (Exeter). When it arrived it was in an awful state (I wont bore you with the details) and I had no choice but to return it. I can honestly say that the support that I received from JL (both in store and at general customer support) was the poorest that I have ever received.

I submitted a complaint to JL and had pretty much given up on the whole situation when to my amazement, last week I had an email from their escalations department (who have restored my faith in JL a little). Less than a week later I am sitting here watching Mad Max: Fury Road on a brand new replacement OLED that I did not have to pay a penny more for than the 'open box' one that I purchased.

What I'm getting at is that if you think that the AF9 is the set for you then why not just head down to JL and make them an offer on it and see if you can snag yourself an even better deal. I mean some places that JL will price match are selling it for 3k so I would personally mention these prices to them and make them a cheeky offer. I am sure they will drop a load on it. I didn't pay anywhere near what they were asking for the returned one I purchased and just made them a considerably lower offer. You can always return it right and I am assuming like mine you get the full 5 years cover? alternatively, although I did have to push the escalations team quite a bit but you may even end up with a shiny new replacement if there are issues with the one on the shop floor.

As far as the other sets go, I personally chose the Panasonic over the Sony and LG due to my usage. I only watch movies and pretty much always through a dedicated player and in my eyes the picture was just 'preferable' on it. I hardly ever watch sport so the Sony may excel in that department, although I have not personally looked into it.

Dazzar

Novice Member
Thanks All, for your input.
I am going to head down to John Lewis tomorrow and see if I can get the af9 reduced further. If not I have found a c8 on direct electrical appliances for £2200 which. Is a great price. I am wall mounting as well so which is another reason to go with c8 over af9. I am just hoping the motion on the c8 is not noticeablly poor?

faidtoblack

Established Member
Thanks All, for your input.
I am going to head down to John Lewis tomorrow and see if I can get the af9 reduced further. If not I have found a c8 on direct electrical appliances for £2200 which. Is a great price. I am wall mounting as well so which is another reason to go with c8 over af9. I am just hoping the motion on the c8 is not noticeablly poor?

Sounds like a good plan. You are probably already aware of this but I am sure that RS and JL will price match or beat that price if you would prefer to buy from them.

As far as the ‘motion’ goes you will just have to make sure you check out similar content to that which you will be watching and make your mind up from there. To be honest it is one of the few things I found you can get a realistic interpretation of on the shop floor. Just be sure to get the remote and have a play with the settings.

Hope it goes well!

Sounds like a good plan. You are probably already aware of this but I am sure that RS and JL will price match or beat that price if you would prefer to buy from them.

As far as the ‘motion’ goes you will just have to make sure you check out similar content to that which you will be watching and make your mind up from there. To be honest it is one of the few things I found you can get a realistic interpretation of on the shop floor. Just be sure to get the remote and have a play with the settings.

Hope it goes well!

Whichever TV you decide on, I would also bear in mind that RS and JL normally include a 5/6 year guarantee. I'm not sure all retailers do this.

Analysis

Banned
Hi all , we have just exchanged on our dream home and I am about ready to purchase a new 65". We currently have a Sony 65 xd9305 and the plan is that this will be passed upstairs to our bedroom. I really want an oled panel and have been waiting a while to purchase one. I was in john Lewis today and was very close to buying an Sony af9 today that was returned and on reduction for 2800. The fact that it was in the bargain section as someone returned it put me off. As it was probably returned as there was something wrong with it. None the less the sony af9 reviews attest to this being the best 65 that you can buy at the moment but I feel it is still a bit pricey at its original price of 3200. I watch alot of football and enjoy 4k on prime and Netflix, and the TV will be wall mounted. The lg c8 is cheeper and i thought this might be an option but reviews mention lag and I figured this will cause issues with live sports. The Panasonic 65 is priced the same as the Sony so can see a reason to go there. Whenever I watch the Samsung qleds on display they make me heady as they are so bright, this may be beacuse they are set to Max brightness but are they a viable option? Bottom line I would pay the 3200 for the af9 but wonder if there is much benefit to be gained from a panel that is alot cheeper i.e. af8 c8 or any reccomeded qled.

Please help

Have you checked out the B8 yet?

For the kind of money involved if you can wait a few more months then you should save money, everything is still overpriced right now, clearance pricing should start from March onwards:

General Buying Tips

As for motion you might be disappointed when it comes to OLED, sometimes LCD is better, it depends on the model and personal preference though, Panasonic or Sony normally are best for OLED, LG is normally the worst, Phillips is about in the middle.

All OLED's use the same LG Display panel.

My links & guides

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom