Question 65 inch TV choice £2.5K ish

337GUS

Back in Feb I sold a mate my 65” curved Sammy and put the old 50“ Kuro in for a week or two until I sourced a new 75-85 inch uber TV. COVID put paid to that and now I don’t want to go all out cost wise but still have a decent budget for a nice 65 inch.

Reading the reviews I‘m torn between the LG CX, Philips 805, Panny HZ1000 and Sony A8H. Previous experience with the brands has given me the impression that the Sammy interface beats the others but that is from 2-5 year old sets. I’m drawn to the Philips but the 3 big name options have me doubting the choice.

Netfix, Prime and Sky Sports - cricket + rugby make up 80%. UHD disks as a popcorn event and a bit of X Box the rest of the time. Gaming is not important.

Have a decent surround sound system so TV is muted. Room can be darkened at will. Viewing angle not important as it's nearly always just me watching.

Anyone gone through a similar choice and what did you end up buying?

Anyone got opinions on each sets strengths and weaknesses - motion, Apps available, interface speed, blacks, glitches with the tech like eARc or functionality/connectivity problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Gus

tvdavid

I would aim for the LG CX or Sony A8 tvs.

337GUS

Thanks, what swings it to the CX for you? The reviews are pretty much even Steven apart from it being best for the new consoles.

Dodgexander

Just answered a similar question here:

Hopefully it helps you, its a bad idea to buy now unless you can find 2019 stock, the Philips OLED754 is still available.

Have a decent surround sound system so TV is muted. Room can be darkened at will. Viewing angle not important as it's nearly always just me watching.
Part of what you pay extra for with Sony TVs is the built in sound. I wouldn't want to buy one if I was using my own sound system as it would feel like money going down the drain to me.

337GUS

Thanks Dodge I’ll have a read through that comparison. Seems sensible to rule out Sony.

The Philips 754 is available at £1600 the 805 £2200, I’ll look up the 754 reviews.

Black Friday deals are not that far off but with COVID there seems to be a shortage of stuff I‘d be surprised if the TV’s I‘m looking at will drop by a large amount? What are the usual margins BF deals give on popular TV models?

Dodgexander

Deals are never guaranteed but if anything prices may be a bit lower this year. They do gradually get lower over time on the OLEDs as they reduce production costs. Last year the 65" C9 dropped to £1800 which is still pretty expensive, but better than the price you'll pay now by about £400.

The Philips OLED754 is a 2019 model that uses a 2018 LG OLED panel, it performs 90% as good as the 2020 OLEDs but costs a lot less. There are compromises of course, but its going to be some time before you can get an OLED for similar kind of pricing. Since its 2019 stock it may sell out before Black Friday. Maybe the cheaper BX will be similar in price come the day.

The 805 is a 2020 model like the LG CX and Sony A8, currently overpriced. It should roughly follow the same as the CX.

It's always a mistake to buy each year before Black Friday, and with it only 6 weeks away almost, its definitely worth the wait.

337GUS

Agreed I’ll hang fire and wait for the Black Friday deals, give me a chance to read up some more. The LG BX looks worth checking out too, it seems to be really similar to the CX for real use picture quality? Need to search for a review and read up. Thanks for your help really appreciate the effort you and the other regulars/mods go to on here helping us out.

Dodgexander

Yes the BX is pretty much just as good as the CX. A lower tier picture processor make some very specific scenarios where the CX may be better.

A lot is changing in the future with TVs and HDMI 2.1 and whilst the TVs perform more or less the same its still up in the air whether the BX will properly support HDMI 2.1 VRR together with HDR at the same time. We'll know if that is an issue once people are able to test. We know already the CX doesn't have this limitation.

337GUS

Before I started looking in depth I figured 65 CX was the one to get. Now after all the reading up and mulling it over, it was mainly the 805 that was attracting me away, it still seems the one I should get on BF is the CX.

tvdavid

I want the CX 55 inch or the A8 55 but its not hdmi 2.1 also the xh95 would be 65 inch in my budget but going wait a bit longer. I have £1500 to spend.
I don't play games so don't need 2.1

337GUS

Yeah, see what BF brings into budget, I‘ve had the Kuro 50 for donkeys years, buzzes a bit but still decent picture for normal use so sure it‘ll hang in for a few more weeks.

tvdavid

I got my Panasonic TX-P50S11B just the weekend from facebook but its a great picture I had a v20 it broke last year but the 11B has much less IR to.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom