65 inch+ TV 4k HDR please?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm after a 65 inch TV 4k, HDR to play with my AVR denon x3300 + 5.1 setup.
-lowish input lag for gaming
-HDR
-good HDMI port placement
-if possible bluetooth headphone support but not super important as i think my avr can do this?

My budget is 1.5k-2k. I don't really like curved screens. Struggling to discern which screens I should and shouldn't be going for given the new vs old models.

I use my TV with a gaming PC, lots of static images, web browsing, itunes open all day, youtube open all day, gaming wise pause frequently for like 30 mins... therefore I don't think OLED is appropriate.

OLED is fine as long as you are responsible with it. If you intend to leave things open constantly then it is probably not. You certainly won't get any permanent burn in if you are leaving it on at 30 mins intervals with the same image.

But anyway, best option for PQ at that price range will be the Panasonic DX-902 LCD. Just beware about viewing angles as it uses a narrow angle VA panel as do all high end LCDs now.

No idea about bluetooth functionalities of any tv's afraid so can't comment on that.

"responsible" i hate the terminology coupled with babying OLED Screens. I need my screens to be durable and irritation free as much as possible TBH! I might decide to do video editting on my TV for example as a last minute solution. I don't want to be worrying about whether I'm going to be bugged by IR for the next couple of days.

Panasonic 902 I looked at! However I hate the design. I prefer bezel-less :(

I was just making a point because people blow image burn in of OLEDs out of proportion, I don't think that an OLED would be a bad choice for you, you could even use a screensaver for periods of being AFK.

I once read an interesting test was performed with a LG B6, after a full day(24h) of showing a static DVD menu the tv had temporary burn in that lasted for 30 mins. They did the same test and let the tv repair cycle itself when off and it was gone after they turned it back on too.

Really not as much of a big deal as people make out unless you are stupid and deliberately try to cause it and its easily avoidable.

Anyway, to cut it short there isn't really another option as good for pure PQ/value as the DX-902.

Below that you're looking at the overpriced 2017 Sony XE90 that doesn't perform as well as the Panasonic overall or an edge lit LCD like the Samsung KS range. If you can get the Samsung KS9500 it actually performs better but its also more expensive and curved.

Otherwise Samsungs edge lit KS series tv's (sub KS9500 are probably your best bet).

May consider waiting for some better 2017 models to drop in price such as the Sony XE93. You aren't going to get the best style from direct lit tv's that are still the best performers (unless you go OLED).

Last edited:
Not really another option as good for pure PQ.

Below that you're looking at the overpriced 2017 Sony XE90 that doesn't perform as well as the Panasonic overall or an edge lit LCD like the Samsung KS range. If you can get the Samsung KS9500 it actually performs better but its also more expensive and curved.

Otherwise Samsungs edge lit KS series tv's (sub KS9500 are probably your best bet).

I think I'm wrong! looking at the avforums video r/v the bezel looks huge but on other review sites and videos it looks thin as the other TVs...

Hmmm where could I pick this up for a decent price for a 65''?

How narrow are we talking viewing angles? :( Compared to say the corresponding sony or samsung?

Panasonic's 2016 tv's viewing angles are the worse, you start to see colour degradation 16 degrees off centre. Samsung's/Sonys are better, but still poor at 20 degrees.

Sad thing is unless you go OLED there are no good quality IPS panel HDR tv's so to get better viewing angles and keep with an LCD you lose a lot in HDR performance.

Panasonic have a refurb store on eBay and you might still find some new in different places.

Panasonic's 2016 tv's viewing angles are the worse, you start to see colour degradation 16 degrees off centre. Samsung's are better, but still poor at 20 degrees.

Sad thing is unless you go OLED there are no good quality IPS panel HDR tv's so to get better viewing angles and keep with an LCD you lose a lot in HDR performance.

Panasonic have a refurb store on eBay and you might still find some new in different places.

Damn.. I wish I didn't abuse my screns so much...

For the past hour I've had static HUD of my denon playing music track after music track.

with my OCD I just imagine image retention would drive me crazy with an oled.

Yep retention isn't exclusive to OLEDs, some LCDs have it too. The Canadian site rtings.com measure it in reviews now. The Sony XE90 actually suffers from it too (just read the X900E review over there).

Both My E6 and 920V (previously) are on all day (well from when i get from work) and i rarely watch actual TV. My pc is constantly on with itunes playing all day and watching youtube etc, very similar to yourself actually and I have never had any issues with image retention. I have seen it very briefly every now and again but it's blown well out of propertion imo. Just my 2 pence worth.

Regardless a 65 Oled may be out of your budget.

I was just making a point because people blow image burn in of OLEDs out of proportion, I don't think that an OLED would be a bad choice for you, you could even use a screensaver for periods of being AFK.

I once read an interesting test was performed with a LG B6, after a full day(24h) of showing a static DVD menu the tv had temporary burn in that lasted for 30 mins. They did the same test and let the tv repair cycle itself when off and it was gone after they turned it back on too.

Really not as much of a big deal as people make out unless you are stupid and deliberately try to cause it and its easily avoidable.

Anyway, to cut it short there isn't really another option as good for pure PQ/value as the DX-902.

May consider waiting for some better 2017 models to drop in price such as the Sony XE93. You aren't going to get the best style from direct lit tv's that are still the best performers (unless you go OLED).

I appreciate all your advice!

Just now I've browsed the internet for an hour or two, static google chrome beowser, static menu bar at the bottom.

I'm currently considering the DX902 and the B6 both 65inchers.

Main issue I have with the DX902 is supposed reflections. I can control the light using blinds but I'd hate to watch GOT and see my face in a dark scene. Is it that bad or blown out of proportion? Trying to convince people to post pictures of the X902's playing a dark scene like GOT during the day but no one is biting.

OLED B6 only thing holding me back is the IR which I'm still not convinced on. I don't fudge up my screens but I don't take care either. I'll happily have a static image on screen and do some video editting as its what I need to do as I cba getting a monitor. Also I watch a lot of letterbox stuff. The price isn't a major annoyance but it is about 500 cheaper. My other big annoyance will the ABL with web browsing etc.

Anywhere you can get a dark room demo? HiFi stores...richer sounds etc?

If not just make sure you can return if unhappy with the tv. I don't really see glare being a problem in the dark, its more lighting and Windows that pose a problem.

Anywhere you can get a dark room demo? HiFi stores...richer sounds etc?

If not just make sure you can return if unhappy with the tv. I don't really see glare being a problem in the dark, its more lighting and Windows that pose a problem.

I meant glare in dark scenes in the light/daytime :)

Finding a store which has them on show is a pain!

Well you will almost definitely get that even to a degree with tv's with good anti reflection filters. Depends heavily on the severity of your conditions though. It's one of those things you aren't going to really know until you try.

I think the Samsung KS9500 will be better with glare as it's anti reflection filter is better. If you look at the tests on rtings.com the OLEDs perform best.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom