65 inch Sony X80J vs. Samsung Q60T or Q6DT questions and concerns

Moondoggy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing a new TV but the technology is overwhelming and I need some advice.

I'm looking at a 65 inch Sony X80J and a Samsung Q60T or Q6DT TV's. Based on my research it appears that these are all Quantum Dot Technology whether you call it Triliuminos (Sony) or QLED (Samsung). Since the only difference between the Samsung Q60T and the Q6DT is what kind of store they sets are sold I'll just refer to them as the Samsung models.

The Sony used Google TV for managing their streaming channels while Samsung uses their own Tizen system. Currently, I have a Roku stick and I'm wondering if there are pros and cons to either Google TV or Tizen and/or whether it's worth it to stick with my Roku? My concern here is that if I need to consider keeping my Roku stick the Samsung only has 3 HDMI ports where the Sony has 4 and my existing TV has 4 HDMI ports and all are in use with my DirecTV receiver, Sonos Beam sound bar, Blu-Ray player and my Roku stick. If I buy the Sony, no problem but if I buy the Samsung I'm short a port and not sure what to do in a case like that. Should I be concerned about the issue of keeping the Roku stick vs. using the built in systems to acquire streaming channels? If I don't keep the Roku, is Google TV better than Tizen?

The Sony is a 2021 model whereas the Samsung's are 2020 models. Can there be a significant technological differences in a 2021 set that would want me to go that route or is this a factor I need not consider between these models?

Are extended warranties worth having? The Samsung model I was looking at BJ's wholesale store said that it came with a 1 year warranty + a free 3 year limited warranty. If I purchase either the Sony or the Samsung from Best Buy their TV's only come with a 1 year warranty and if I want an extended warranty I would have to pay for it. The sales guy at Best Buy said that they have fewer problems with Sony's vs. Samsung's but are there really enough issues to want me to consider a warranty?

Currently all of these sets are selling for $900.00 so price really isn't a factor. The factors I need to consider are all related to their technology and issues related to warranties so I'm really torn between the Sony and the Samsung. Although I cannot view them side by side the picture quality on them is outstanding compared to my existing LED TV I purchased 10 years ago. The only thing I can call "factors" at this point is the extra HDMI port on the Sony if I want or need to keep my Roku stick and the free 3 year extended warranty I can get with the Samsung at BJ's wholesale.

So if there's something I'm missing from a technology basis or from a functional use (i.e. user friendly) basis that I need to consider being a decision making factor? If so, can anyone enlighten me on what factor or factors I need to consider of what factor or factors are better on one brand vs the other? Like I said, my last TV purchase was 10 years ago and I don't want to make a $900 mistake over something I needed to consider but didn't because I was simply unaware of what I needed to look for.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Why don't you go to a store? I assume you live in the US so best buy,where you can see the products in action...hopefully get demos of the potential kit you are wanting to buy...your eyes and ears will be the best judge as amazing as this forum can be for advise what other people may be happy with,you may not and the excitement of buying new products may frustrate you...with vision and av equipment seeing it is the only way to experience it.

I have been to our local Best Buy and have seen both models in action. What I was after is additional information that's not necessarily visible. For example experience with Google TV and Tizen would be helpful to determine how important keeping my Roku will be. If its important keep my Roku that would put a nail in the coffin for the Samsung as it only has 3 HDMI ports whereas the Sony has 4. I'm interested in intangible information that is beyond what you can see.

Based on my research it appears that these are all Quantum Dot Technology whether you call it Triliuminos (Sony) or QLED (Samsung).

All TVs at that price have wide gamut backlights, whether it's implemented through quantum dot enhancement films or more traditional phosphors.

But it's a feature generally only used with HDR content, and I wouldn't expect either model to be particularly capable when it comes to reproducing HDR.

The Sony is a 2021 model whereas the Samsung's are 2020 models. Can there be a significant technological differences in a 2021 set that would want me to go that route or is this a factor I need not consider between these models?

Generally TVs are launched at a high price and decline in price over their one year lifetime, so when the new models have just been launched - this time of year - the older ones are generally more capable for the same money.

Although Sony do tend to have one of the small price drops over the year.

Just thought I would update this posting as a warning to others. In regard to specifications, the Sony X60J and the Samsung Q60T are virtually identical to each other except for the fact that the Sony has 4 HDMI Ports and the Samsung only has 3. I currently have all 4 ports on my old TV in use so I purchased the Sony and found out that it was a big mistake. Fortunately, I purchased the TV from Best Buy and I'm only a few days into the 15 day return policy period. Because of the problems with the Sony I called Samsung Tech Support and confirmed that those problems do not exist on the Q60T so the Sony's going back. Here's what I found out after the purchase......

The Sony automatically defaults to it's own internal Google Smart TV menu and that cannot be overridden to default to the HDMI 1 instead. This meant that each time I turned on the TV, I had to press a button on the Sony remote to change the input to my DirecTV receiver.

Although some Sony TV's have the functionality to perform the same functions of another remote controller, the X80J lacks this capability.

Because of the above issues I checked into switching from DirecTV to ATT-TV so that everything would be running off of the TV's remote controller. In addition ATT-TV will stream 4K content automatically if the show is being broadcast in 4K. Comparing DirecTV functionality to ATT-TV there's really no difference for me so I signed up for ATT-TV but when I went to add it to my Sony TV through the Google Play store, the Play Store said that the ATT-TV app was not compatible with my TV.

From my discussion with Samsung Tech Support they told me that I can change the default at power up to HDMI 1, they can also configure their remote to control my DirecTV receiver if I want to stick with DirecTV and if I want to switch to ATT-TV then I can add that capability to their sets.

Bottom line is none of these problems are something that you could learn from any product information of specifications so this is a warning for anyone considering the Sony that it may have some issues that may not work for you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom