65 inch, maybe 55 inch TV for ps4 slim?

Bobdenir0

Novice Member
Hi :hiya:

I'm looking for a 65 inch TV for my PS4 slim. Or maybe that's too big considering it's 1080p and should go 55?I plan to pretty much use it for my PS4 slim alone and I'm wondering what to buy as there's so much, too much choice. I could afford to go up to 1k but ideally would like to spend as little as possible on a set tbh. Viewing angles aren't an issue so I guess a VA panel tv would be best, but I do want good motion with not too much motion blur with fast moving images too, and no screen tearing. I'm not sure I'm that fussed with HDR content as well as there doesn't seem to be that much content and I don't plan on upgrading to a PS5 for a long time as I have only just got the PS4 slim, so have years of games to get through with that. I suffer from analysis paralysis and can't make up my bloody mind! Out of interest, I wonder what other standard PS4 gamers are using when it comes to 65 and 55 inch sets as well, and how happy you are with yours?

Bobdenir0

Novice Member
Spent ages yesterday browsing TV's in Richer Sounds, John Lewis and currys. Multiple visits to both stores throughout the day. Thinking about the Panasonic X800G 58 inch, the Samsung ru7400 65 inch, Q70r 55 inch (although that ones not it stock so would have to wait I think), or the Sony Xf9005. I want something good but not something that's overkill for the 1080p PS4. Not sure if I'm that bothered by HDR and 4k content as there's not much about I don't think and don't plan on upgrading to a PS5, get Netflix subscription etc. I believe the Xf9005 and Q70r are considered the minimum you need to go for good HDR, but would I use it much! But then I know those TV's will handle motion etc better, and are just better TV's picture quality wise than the Panasonic and RU7400, but do I need to spend more when I can get the Panny and RU7400 for £100 less, and especially with the RU7400 being 65 inch? 🤔

next010

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure I'm that fussed with HDR content as well as there doesn't seem to be that much content
The PS4 base/slim uses a slightly different 8-bit form of HDR than 10-bit HDR on PS4 Pro this is why there is less HDR content on PS4 vs PS4 Pro enhanced titles. Though I would not recommend* picking up a Pro given it will be obsolete once PS5 launches as it will have full back compatibility with PS4/Pro.

If you can afford it the Samsung Q70 is a good TV for gaming SDR/HDR.

* unless you can get one for next to nothing.

Bobdenir0

Novice Member
Hi . How far will you be sitting from the set
I tend to get drawn closer to the TV but not sure if too close. I'd say between 3 and 8 feet.
The PS4 base/slim uses a slightly different 8-bit form of HDR than 10-bit HDR on PS4 Pro this is why there is less HDR content on PS4 vs PS4 Pro enhanced titles. Though I would not recommend* picking up a Pro given it will be obsolete once PS5 launches as it will have full back compatibility with PS4/Pro.

If you can afford it the Samsung Q70 is a good TV for gaming SDR/HDR.

* unless you can get one for next to nothing.
I just want to stick with the PS4 slim and enjoy the games already out for it. Would maybe pick up a PS5 once that's closer to the release of the PS6 so the console and games are cheaper. I've not gamed for years. Last console was a Game Cube, so don't think I need to go with the PS5 because it's already a big enough jump for me to go from cube to PS4.

The Q70 isn't in stock anyhwere with a big guarantee, that's why I mentioned the Xf9005, but realize the input lag is worse on that. Some say it's not an issue, some say it is. I'm not fussed with online gaming for the time being and not competitive, but wouldn't want too much lag on games like Street Fighter V etc.

Bobdenir0

Novice Member
I was playing with the 65ru7400 in John Lewis the other day and came to the conclusion that 4k, HDR and 1080p content looks better down scaled on my 2017 32 inch 720p sony we613. I think the we613 is a pretty good TV and I would have to buy a PS4pro and much better 65 inch tv if I wanted the image quality my we613 gives.