65" inch battle! - Sony A90J vs Panasonic JZ2000 - which one is best for HD (1080p) and UHD (4K) ???

This is all great feedback guys. Thank you!
What are the 'downsides' to the Panasonic JZ2000???

This is all great feedback guys. Thank you!
What are the 'downsides' to the Panasonic JZ2000???
Seems some people are forgetting about the Jz2000 being a step back from the great Hz2000, worse near black handling than the GZ2000 and Hz2000

Worse gradation performance than 2021 Sony sets and LG sets.

Lower full field brightness than 2021 evo panels.

Thanks guys!
So - in many ways it's a HZ2000 vs Sony A90J battle with the JZ2000 behind?
I do like the HZ2000 but the whole 'dirty screen' thing scared me off.

Thanks guys!
So - in many ways it's a HZ2000 vs Sony A90J battle with the JZ2000 behind?
I do like the HZ2000 but the whole 'dirty screen' thing scared me off.
I have the HZ2000 and I've hardly ever noticed it during normal viewing.

That's good to know.
Not sure if anyone is selling the HZ2000 now???
Probably difficult to find at this point.. I heard the JZ2000 is 'worse' in some ways but still probably delivers the overall more cinematic picture than the rest of the lineup.

Seems some people are forgetting about the Jz2000 being a step back from the great Hz2000, worse near black handling than the GZ2000 and Hz2000

Fully agree with you.
I have both Sony A90J and Panasonic HZ2000, and I was surprised by the step back made by Panasonic with JZ2000 compared with HZ2000.

Also regarding HZ2000 vs A90J I would say that Panasonic HZ2000 picture quality overall is better than Sony A90J.

Didn't notice any difference to my outgoing LG. The examples shown in the hdtvtest video were not apparant on my JZ2000. I'm not going to get worried about blink and you'll miss it type claimed issues.
Have you done a comparision yourself between 2021 Sony or LG and JZ2000?
worse near black handling than the GZ2000 and Hz2000
claimed worse near black handling than HZ2000 but still better than LG and Sony 2021 models if I remember the hdtvtest youtube video correctly. Again I've not seen anything amiss in over 200 hours of use on my JZ2000.
Lower full field by 10 nits or but higher spot, 5% and 10% window by up to 100 nits if I recall correctly..

Last edited:
I went to RS to hopefully buy the last 65 hz1500 as no hz2000s seem to be in stock only be used for blurays 1080p and 4khdr..
But looks like I missed the boat .. they mentioned the LG and Sony but not sure if want to leave Panasonic as I have an ez952 55 which I got from RS ... At the time preferred the cinematic plasma look of it over the A1... is Panasonic still the most cinematic and how do the phillips oleds perform..??

As an owner of both Sony (now sold) and Panasonic OLED, I agree with this. The picture from the Panasonic is utterly cinematic. Another thing people need to realise is that Panasonic has its own way to provide a higher peak brightness and doesn’t really on an “Evo” panel.

It’s all preference at the end of the day though.
I don't own an OLED but I'm interested in which source people are getting their great picture quality from on their OLED's - Sky, Freesat etc?
I've read on here that Sky Q picture quality on OLED TV's is poor, but I only watch TV via Sky Q so would an OLED be wasted on me?

I’ve seen it suggested that it is the new HDMI 2.1 boards causing the near black issues. Can anyone confirm this is the case by testing a legacy HDMI port on the JZ if so (assuming it has these)?

I’ve no real interest in 8K and will use a legacy port if the near blacks are on par with the HZ. Only downside is loss of EARC but I’ll run an optical cable instead.

HB

I’ve seen it suggested that it is the new HDMI 2.1 boards causing the near black issues. Can anyone confirm this is the case by testing a legacy HDMI port on the JZ if so (assuming it has these)?

I’ve no real interest in 8K and will use a legacy port if the near blacks are on par with the HZ. Only downside is loss of EARC but I’ll run an optical cable instead.

HB

Vincent already confirmed on twitter it's like that on all ports. It's a problem with how the new processor is doing things, not port or board.

Fully agree with you.
I have both Sony A90J and Panasonic HZ2000, and I was surprised by the step back made by Panasonic with JZ2000 compared with HZ2000.

Also regarding HZ2000 vs A90J I would say that Panasonic HZ2000 picture quality overall is better than Sony A90J.

Thanks for clarification on this.. after not getting an hz1500 none left.. I managed to source a 65" hz2000 brand new for 2500 from rgb-direct.. so be on its way to me next Friday... looking forward to it and hope to be blown away by the pic quality... no need for the speakers but I'll be thinking what if if I didn't just pull the trigger... my present to me for the yr.. needed cheering up as had a disk out in my back all week..

Those Panasonic HZ2000's are now really rare it seems! :(
Yes... think few of them went fairly early for those who wanted a master panel but with price drops the hz 1000 and 1500 had virtually vanished... a few hz1000s have popped up recently from a few retailers but the prices seemed to have increased to more than what the hz1500s were a few wks ago..
Some places do interest free credit for Yr so why I had to just buy the 2000 model.. was initially 2600 as last one in stock they offered me 100 off with 5yr warranty.. considering ebay has refurbs for near enough same money with 3 months warranty I would have been foolish to not take the deal..

Only thing that sucks about the Panasonic is the awful OS and menu system, seems very outdated even for 2020. Kinda reminded me of Windows 98 lol

Only thing that sucks about the Panasonic is the awful OS and menu system, seems very outdated even for 2020. Kinda reminded me of Windows 98 lol
True... but reason we buy their tvs is we like the pic quality but could update it a bit as you say... prob use YouTube or Netflix prime, 15% the other 85 is just hard copy blurays..

That's good to know.
Not sure if anyone is selling the HZ2000 now???
One in stock here apparently

Or possibly

Or possibly

You’d need to call and check with all

I find Panasonic better than LG for getting at the things that matter. Accessing viewing modes and settings are an improvement on my LG E8. Apart from that the home screen for both Panasonic and LG look functionally much the same when configured to my preferences.

One in stock here apparently

Or possibly

Or possibly

You’d need to call and check with all
Many thanks. I'm torn between risking a Panasonic HZ2000 or waiting it out another year. My Pioneer KURO is still delivering awesome pictures (only not 4K though).

Many thanks. I'm torn between risking a Panasonic HZ2000 or waiting it out another year. My Pioneer KURO is still delivering awesome pictures (only not 4K though).
What size is the kuro if don't mind me asking..?? Be worth keeping in another room if poss... I still have a 5090 in the family room going strong 13yrs old.. for everyday tv Netflix, prime etc.. its brilliant but replaced a pioneer krp in my den with the ez952 in 55inch as room got changed around.. if its blurays .. especially 4khdr its in a different league to the kuro and all mine were voltage tweaked... the blacks are insane... the reason I got the Panasonic over the other oleds was it could rid the soap opera effect totally by switching ifc (intelligent frame creation) completely off and it looked like the kuro but better.. even my wife was amazed when I got it and she use to turn her nose up at anything in the shops... now I'm selling the ez952 to mates step son to make way for the hz2000 which will be bigger, brighter and better with addition of dolby vision which my ez didn't have.. I think the motion is comparable to plasma too now with the hz... mine will purely be for films.. 80% hard copy bluray.. can't wait I got a deal on it but anything around 2800 is good as it was a near 4.5k tv..

What size is the kuro if don't mind me asking..?? Be worth keeping in another room if poss... I still have a 5090 in the family room going strong 13yrs old.. for everyday tv Netflix, prime etc.. its brilliant but replaced a pioneer krp in my den with the ez952 in 55inch as room got changed around.. if its blurays .. especially 4khdr its in a different league to the kuro and all mine were voltage tweaked... the blacks are insane... the reason I got the Panasonic over the other oleds was it could rid the soap opera effect totally by switching ifc (intelligent frame creation) completely off and it looked like the kuro but better.. even my wife was amazed when I got it and she use to turn her nose up at anything in the shops... now I'm selling the ez952 to mates step son to make way for the hz2000 which will be bigger, brighter and better with addition of dolby vision which my ez didn't have.. I think the motion is comparable to plasma too now with the hz... mine will purely be for films.. 80% hard copy bluray.. can't wait I got a deal on it but anything around 2800 is good as it was a near 4.5k tv..
Hiya.
My KURO is a 60 incher (The KRP 600A). I still love it!
I was looking at replacing it with a Panasonic HZ2000 or JZ2000 - but heard the HZ2000 was superior in many ways... but the 'dirty screen issue' made me hesitant and now I've missed the boat it seems (at least with the HZ2000 65 inch model). The Sony A90J recently joined the fray but again... I'm just not sure... AVForums review was positive in the main but they (Phil Hinton) too preferred the Panasonic (at least in terms of colour accuracy - out of the box). I will be getting it professionally calibrated eventually though. Decisions decisions! :)
Glad you were able to secure a HZ2000 mate... Enjoy!!!

Hiya.
My KURO is a 60 incher (The KRP 600A). I still love it!
I was looking at replacing it with a Panasonic HZ2000 or JZ2000 - but heard the HZ2000 was superior in many ways... but the 'dirty screen issue' made me hesitant and now I've missed the boat it seems (at least with the HZ2000 65 inch model). The Sony A90J recently joined the fray but again... I'm just not sure... AVForums review was positive in the main but they (Phil Hinton) too preferred the Panasonic (at least in terms of colour accuracy - out of the box). I will be getting it professionally calibrated eventually though. Decisions decisions! :)
Glad you were able to secure a HZ2000 mate... Enjoy!!!

Thanks.... I had a krp600... Great tv and impact... problem was my wife didn't want great big kuros all over the place.. wanted it in front room move 5090 to back room but no.. I sold it and it went towards the cost of the ez..
Thing is no tv is perfect... I thought the kuro was perfect until I saw red tint ...!!!
Thankfully I found these forums to resolve it..
Hopefully I don't get dirty screen effect or I'll be contacting Panasonic to come and sort it out...!!!
Thing is if your very stuck on the plasma especially kuro vt65 look you would fall towards the Panasonic oled as I found it was more natural looking/ cinematic...
Hope you manage to grab one and save alot of money over a newer screen...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom