65" inch battle! - Sony A90J vs Panasonic JZ2000 - which one is best for HD (1080p) and UHD (4K) ???

generalgizmo

Hiya.
My KURO is a 60 incher (The KRP 600A). I still love it!
I was looking at replacing it with a Panasonic HZ2000 or JZ2000 - but heard the HZ2000 was superior in many ways... but the 'dirty screen issue' made me hesitant and now I've missed the boat it seems (at least with the HZ2000 65 inch model). The Sony A90J recently joined the fray but again... I'm just not sure... AVForums review was positive in the main but they (Phil Hinton) too preferred the Panasonic (at least in terms of colour accuracy - out of the box). I will be getting it professionally calibrated eventually though. Decisions decisions! :)
Glad you were able to secure a HZ2000 mate... Enjoy!!!
Set my hz2000 up and all I can say is wow.. clean picture with blurays 4khdr is amazing.. the motion is much improved over my ez952.. however I don't think much to the speakers.. unless they're not set up properly yet but if you could grab one it's worth it..

MJeeves7

Set my hz2000 up and all I can say is wow.. clean picture with blurays 4khdr is amazing.. the motion is much improved over my ez952.. however I don't think much to the speakers.. unless they're not set up properly yet but if you could grab one it's worth it..
Hey - so so glad you love it! Thank you again for your feedback! Enjoy your HZ2000 :)

cesna2ubi

Standard Member

That is right. Now even if HZ2000 is a model from the previous year, price is almost equal with new model JZ2000. That say much about its quality. I think it was the best money spent on an OLED TV by me in July. I purchased 55HZ2000 with a big discount with 5 years warranty at approx price £. 1460, and it really worth the price. For Sony 55A90J even if got it with high discount was a little more expensive £ 1480 and it is one little step behind in picture excellence. I have not purchased from UK, but from another European Union country where I live. From what I have seen in the last 5 years best prices for High-end TVs are in summer -> June, July in Europe.

Last edited:

generalgizmo

We get robbed here in the UK... an hz2000 none left were well over 2k... a 55jz is approx £2500... your prices are so much better...
I like the Panasonic motion over the sonys as find them a bit soap opera like last I checked..

generalgizmo

What about the PHILIPS 65OLED936/12 65" inch OLED+ panel about to enter the fray????
Think it's meant to be very good too with a b&w sound system if that's the model..??
They're all great in their own way but the thing that got me hooked on the Panasonic was purely the cinematic picture and movement.. like plasma... no soap opera effect.. I would never buy a TV on just a recommendation as amount of times in past this tv was meant to be great and would of sold off my kuro .. I went and viewed some sets and thought they're good but poor blacks light bleed soap opera movement etc... only tv that swayed me a bit prior to my 1st oled was the zt60 and vt65 as did some things better but some not...
The hz2000 has great picture and is above the kuro but the side speakers on the kuro I personally think are better than the built in atmos system which puts price up but compared to flat screens now it may be great.. not sure what phillips sound is like..?? at least now they do a flagship screen without fancy speakers which a dedicated bar could probably do better..
But go check out in store as in RS, sevenoaks or somewhere , anywhere with a demo room to try the TV with remote or pic settings.. I don't spend time in places where they leave 4k USB stick in telling me how great the TV is trying to make me spend but aren't willing to change any settings for me... saying can't change settings from vivid for me..🙄

scarie

True... but reason we buy their tvs is we like the pic quality but could update it a bit as you say... prob use YouTube or Netflix prime, 15% the other 85 is just hard copy blurays..
I would just like to make an observation on anyone thinking about getting a jz2000 it’s a fantastic tv using the best example of written explanation it’s organic compared to my excellent Phillips 935 and every other tv I’ve seen I would describe as processed
It has been calibrated and I have seen none of the issues descbrided in reviews it has no dirty screen effects
I will not use the words better or worse as this is an opinion
But some of the comments here are very misleading

generalgizmo

I would just like to make an observation on anyone thinking about getting a jz2000 it’s a fantastic tv using the best example of written explanation it’s organic compared to my excellent Phillips 935 and every other tv I’ve seen I would describe as processed
It has been calibrated and I have seen none of the issues descbrided in reviews it has no dirty screen effects
I will not use the words better or worse as this is an opinion
But some of the comments here are very misleading
Glad you picked one of the jz2000 up I would of probably eventually but just got lucky with the price of my hz2000 and was too good to not get it..
I had not seen a Phillip's oled and that was another tv I was interested in looking at however I'm more than happy with the hz2000..
I know what you mean as no better or worse but preference and why I'm stuck with Panasonic as like their cinematic/plasma looking picture..

scarie

Glad you picked one of the jz2000 up I would of probably eventually but just got lucky with the price of my hz2000 and was too good to not get it..
I had not seen a Phillip's oled and that was another tv I was interested in looking at however I'm more than happy with the hz2000..
I know what you mean as no better or worse but preference and why I'm stuck with Panasonic as like their cinematic/plasma looking picture..
A truely excellent tv and great choice it’s just the way people cherry pick sections of reviews and agnore other parts can easily mislead or put off potential buyers from what maybe the right tv I did see all TVs I choose the jz I would again I choose the 935 previous against the hz and lg but I don’t think for one second that they are better but they are certainly not worse just different and what tv was right for me
The new Panasonic os gets bad press I think it’s super fast and I only use Apple TV for apps so it’s perfect for me try using Sonys android or google but maybe not for everyone personally I don’t rate all TVs for apps yes my Phillips has android to slow to the jz but it’s still excellent

Tim2049

They could be QLED bright keeping the oled advantages
I'm not sure why 'QLED levels of brightness' is something to aspire to. OLED can already produce an image bright enough to induce squinting. I personally wouldn't want anything brighter...

generalgizmo

As you say .. and I do each to their own..
When I 1st got my ez952 in a 55 3 yrs back it was the picture that did it for me as always had a plasma (kuros) as my main viewing display... so always looked more natural lifelike or cinematic with films... the Sony and LG were both good too but just couldn't get used to the settings on the Sony.. no matter the pic settings it looked too over processed led like for me... however if I had led for my main TV I may have gone for that..
On the matter of os... I just buy a tv for the picture.. and the most lifelike for me and movies.. not so fussed about smart features.. if YouTube and Netflix etc are there that's good enough.. if Panasonic did just an oled monitor.. I'd buy it...

scarie

I'm not sure why 'QLED levels of brightness' is something to aspire to. OLED can already produce an image bright enough to induce squinting. I personally wouldn't want anything brighter...
Your opinion I appreciate that but the best hdr I have had was the q95 before it was damaged you may ask why not have a QLED and my jz the fact I had two damaged not the TVs fault by the way concerned me on longevity on the Samsung having that borderless beautiful look makes them filmsy

scarie

As you say .. and I do each to their own..
When I 1st got my ez952 in a 55 3 yrs back it was the picture that did it for me as always had a plasma (kuros) as my main viewing display... so always looked more natural lifelike or cinematic with films... the Sony and LG were both good too but just couldn't get used to the settings on the Sony.. no matter the pic settings it looked too over processed led like for me... however if I had led for my main TV I may have gone for that..
On the matter of os... I just buy a tv for the picture.. and the most lifelike for me and movies.. not so fussed about smart features.. if YouTube and Netflix etc are there that's good enough.. if Panasonic did just an oled monitor.. I'd buy it...
I totally agree the os is great super fast response going through menus that’s all I need

mikimiao

Novice Member
Hi guys , I have never owned LCD or OLED TV before , please kindly help me choose between Panasonic HZ1000 and Sony A80j both priced the same $1800 for 55 inch ( sorry I know this is a 65inch TV thread ) I am not a gamer , just for Netflix , YouTube , and Tv shows . My room is quite dark as I have blackout curtains and tinted windows . Thanks In advance !!

generalgizmo

Hi guys , I have never owned LCD or OLED TV before , please kindly help me choose between Panasonic HZ1000 and Sony A80j both priced the same $1800 for 55 inch ( sorry I know this is a 65inch TV thread ) I am not a gamer , just for Netflix , YouTube , and Tv shows . My room is quite dark as I have blackout curtains and tinted windows . Thanks In advance !!

Hi
If you can get to a shop to view them that would be best if they would let you get into the settings... if however like me you have had plasma tvs then the Panasonic is most natural looking and similar... big picture settings and turn ifc (intelligent frame creation) off gets rid horrible soap opera effect... Good luck

mikimiao

Novice Member
Thanks for your advice generalgizmo , I appreciate that a lot , I’ll try to play with the settings , if I still can’t make up my mind , I would have to toss a coin ..

generalgizmo

I just found the Sony probably swing in favour a bit more towards those who like led and Panasonic for those who like plasma/crt screens.. and there are so many settings on the Panasonic.. cinema, true cinema and professional modes which I tend to prefer and there's the luminance and contrast, ifc which I mentioned and colour temps.. hard to leave alone once you get started..

mikimiao

Novice Member
I just found the Sony probably swing in favour a bit more towards those who like led and Panasonic for those who like plasma/crt screens.. and there are so many settings on the Panasonic.. cinema, true cinema and professional modes which I tend to prefer and there's the luminance and contrast, ifc which I mentioned and colour temps.. hard to leave alone once you get started..
This is a tough call , well , I have 2 weeks to decide tho ,meanwhile I’ll gather more votes and reviews . I really like Sony but everyone says Panasonic’s PQ is just epic ! and I love the Dolby Vision IQ feature. Haven’t got the chance to test the setting modes yet hopefully these few days .. will update soon . thanks again G.gizmo .

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited