65" inch battle! - Sony A90J vs Panasonic JZ2000 - which one is best for HD (1080p) and UHD (4K) ???

MJeeves7

In a 65" inch panel battle! -

Sony A90J vs Panasonic JZ2000 - which one is best for HD (1080p) and UHD (4K) ???

Anyone compared the two side by side?

Phil / Steve - will you guys be reviewing both of these sets (and ideally be comparing them)???

martin 39

This probably doesn't help but i have gone from s 55 panasonic oled to a 65 sony a8 and sd definitely looks better on the sony especially sport as for 4k discs and netflix i cant see much difference both stunning. Hope this might help in some way.

MJeeves7

This probably doesn't help but i have gone from s 55 panasonic oled to a 65 sony a8 and sd definitely looks better on the sony especially sport as for 4k discs and netflix i cant see much difference both stunning. Hope this might help in some way.
That is VERY helpful! Thank you!

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
That is VERY helpful! Thank you!
you will have an opinion from avforums in the next week were the A90J is compared to the Panasonic JZ1500 - but it is only an opinion doesnt mean one is better than the other. when i asked my calibrator between the two...his answer was - panasonic do some things better than the sony/ and the sony does some things better than the panny - but he preferred the Sony and he has seen both and calibrated both.

Knitman

Standard Member
I imagine that isn't cheap.

I am going to view the Sony A90J tomorrow. I have the Panasonic HZ2000. I could change to the JZ 2000 but am tempted to change brands after years of Panny. I was concerned that the Sony does not have HDR10+ but upon further reading it would appear DV is superior anyway. Reviews of the Sony say it lacks apps but doesn't say which ones, excepot for BBC but I have two 3 other options for that.

I find the picture to be very good on the HZ2000 but get a lot os ghosting hen the scene is very dark, no matter what I do to settings. TBH not sure what I am doing with some settings anyway.

MJeeves7

you will have an opinion from avforums in the next week were the A90J is compared to the Panasonic JZ1500 - but it is only an opinion doesnt mean one is better than the other. when i asked my calibrator between the two...his answer was - panasonic do some things better than the sony/ and the sony does some things better than the panny - but he preferred the Sony and he has seen both and calibrated both.
That'll be really REALLY interesting! Can't wait! :) Thanks

Knitman

Standard Member
We went to view and play the A90j yesterday. We have the Panny HZ2000. It was a very nice telly but we didn't buy it. We didn't find anything wrong with it apart from missing apps and lack of HDR10+(with DV that doesn't matter). The PQ was superb as is the PQ of the Panny. Even though we would be paying well under rrp, it wasn't worth it to us. We will view the JZ2000 when it is on display.

ps: I purposefully remembered which programs the ghosting happened, and it happened on the Sony too.

Last edited:

NordpolAnton

Standard Member
We went to view and play the A90j yesterday. We have the Panny HZ2000. It was a very nice telly but we didn't buy it. We didn't find anything wrong with it apart from missing apps and lack of HDR10+(with DV that doesn't matter). The PQ was superb as is the PQ of the Panny. Even though we would be paying well under rrp, it wasn't worth it to us. We will view the JZ2000 when it is on display.

ps: I purposefully remembered which programs the ghosting happened, and it happened on the Sony too.
So you wouldn’t say the Pana had the edge with 3D like picture and naturalness? I am a bit concerned if the Sony picture would look too „processed“.

Knitman

Standard Member
I noticed very little difference in PQ at all. I will point out I am comparing the Sony in a shop, admittedly in a room that could be dark or light. My Panny is on the wall in our living room. If push came to shove, I'd choose my HZ2000 over the Sony A90J even tho I kn o it has been given high awards. I take no notice of SQ because I run it through a Yamaha A3080 with Monitor Audio Silver floor standers and one set of Golds at the front.

Hamad138

I noticed very little difference in PQ at all. I will point out I am comparing the Sony in a shop, admittedly in a room that could be dark or light. My Panny is on the wall in our living room. If push came to shove, I'd choose my HZ2000 over the Sony A90J even tho I kn o it has been given high awards. I take no notice of SQ because I run it through a Yamaha A3080 with Monitor Audio Silver floor standers and one set of Golds at the front.
Do u notice the Frameskip Issues on DV on ur Hz2000?

As for the thread. Panasonic has better Picture Quality

Knitman

Standard Member
Not with the DVD's we have watched. We have watched both with an OPPO 205 and the Panasonic 9000. 4k and 1080.

I agree with you about PQ.

The only thing that interests me with the JZ2000 ix the AI picture processor and the 2.1. But Paul, our audio/visual provider doesn't think I'd be happy with the AI picture processor as he knows I like to set it myself and not being a gamer, am. not sure the 2.1 is of benefit to me.

If I upgrade the Yamaha to the RX A6A, it upsamples to 8k but as I only have 4k tv, see no point to that. However, there are sound differences.

I have seen a LG in a department store that was 8k and it was stunning. Broadcast, streaming nor disc come in. 8k yet.

Hamad138

Not with the DVD's we have watched. We have watched both with an OPPO 205 and the Panasonic 9000. 4k and 1080.

I agree with you about PQ.

The only thing that interests me with the JZ2000 ix the AI picture processor and the 2.1. But Paul, our audio/visual provider doesn't think I'd be happy with the AI picture processor as he knows I like to set it myself and not being a gamer, am. not sure the 2.1 is of benefit to me.

If I upgrade the Yamaha to the RX A6A, it upsamples to 8k but as I only have 4k tv, see no point to that. However, there are sound differences.

I have seen a LG in a department store that was 8k and it was stunning. Broadcast, streaming nor disc come in. 8k yet.
Just tell us if u can notice the Frameskip issues on ur Hz2000

MJeeves7

Anyone been able to compare these two monsters yet?
The Panasonic JZ2000 or the Sony A90J - the battle of the 65 inchers! :)

marios50

There was a review today on the A90 by this site. The Panasonic seems to have came on top.

mikej

Hamad138

Panasonic wins in Picture, I think the gap is more then people expect. Panasonic Picture is unmatched by any brand

marios50

Panasonic wins in Picture, I think the gap is more then people expect. Panasonic Picture is unmatched by any brand
As an owner of both Sony (now sold) and Panasonic OLED, I agree with this. The picture from the Panasonic is utterly cinematic. Another thing people need to realise is that Panasonic has its own way to provide a higher peak brightness and doesn’t really on an “Evo” panel.

It’s all preference at the end of the day though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier