• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 65 DX902 or LG OLED C6V

Jram

Established Member
Hi Guys

Hope you guys could share some of your expertise, please.
Which one is good between these two, at the below price?

Panasonic 65 DX902 - 2000 £
LG OLED 65 C6V - 2600 £

Read somewhere OLED has some drawbacks like screen burn, dead pixels, etc.

Thanks
Jay

Dodgexander

You can get the DX-902 on eBay from their refurb store for a lot less.

The DX-902 might be preferable if you want brighter HDR, otherwise the OLED is a better tv for everything SDR and its not bad with HDR either. 3D is also better on the OLED. Viewing angles are also a lot better.

OLED drawbacks are blown out of proportion if you ask me, no more likely to have dead pixels than an LCD. Screen burn isn't an issue like it was with Plasma. You may get some temporary image retention but it removes it quickly on its own.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
if u have static images, the IR on an OLED might drive u crazy. looking at avsforums, reports of burn in are becoming more and more common OLED wise compared to previous years as more people can afford it. Still think its a minor issue unless u have static images on screen for longer than >5 mins.. im talking windows tasks bars here, not like a score ticker (whcih still might annoy u).

I picked up a 902b for £1800 today and unboxed it. the BEST uniformity of any LCD I've ever seen, banding very minimal even on banding tests.. again obscene for an LCD where I've always thought it was part and parcel of the technology. I'm really quite impressed. Upscaling of my 1080p + 720p content has been obscenely good... again im surprised. My wii u defaulted to 1080i and honestly looked phenomenal on this.

I'd go OLED if:
-you dont use static material and dont mind a bit of IR
-if you have this in a lounge/area where some people will have a poor viewing angle of the TV
-if you LOVE black levels.. the 902b black levels arent bad at all but OLED has that infinite contrast

at the end of the day the OLED is kind of black levels + viewing angles.

I'd get the 902B otherwise as it saves you a lot of change and you have a FALD LED TV which seem to be a dying breed. would invest in OLED once the technology is just that tiny bit more refined (I personally want a bit more peak brightness). my logic was a 902b can be battered.. i dont need to worry whats on screen or about IR... and that peace of mine for me is great. dont think u can go wrong with either set!

My logic is just if u spend £1800 on a 902b, you have a spare £1k. you can put that money towards a new TV purchase in a year or twos time which means you can upgrade earlier without feeling guilt. I personally think diminishing returns for TVs starts kicking in around the £1500-2k mark.

Jram

Established Member
You can get the DX-902 on eBay from their refurb store for a lot less.

The DX-902 might be preferable if you want brighter HDR, otherwise the OLED is a better tv for everything SDR and its not bad with HDR either. 3D is also better on the OLED. Viewing angles are also a lot better.

OLED drawbacks are blown out of proportion if you ask me, no more likely to have dead pixels than an LCD. Screen burn isn't an issue like it was with Plasma. You may get some temporary image retention but it removes it quickly on its own.

Many thanks mate. I am planing to view both these in Currys.
Any idea how to simulate the known issues like image retention, etc in OLED for me to understand how bad it would be?

Jram

Established Member
if u have static images, the IR on an OLED might drive u crazy. looking at avsforums, reports of burn in are becoming more and more common OLED wise compared to previous years as more people can afford it. Still think its a minor issue unless u have static images on screen for longer than >5 mins.. im talking windows tasks bars here, not like a score ticker (whcih still might annoy u).

I picked up a 902b for £1800 today and unboxed it. the BEST uniformity of any LCD I've ever seen, banding very minimal even on banding tests.. again obscene for an LCD where I've always thought it was part and parcel of the technology. I'm really quite impressed. Upscaling of my 1080p + 720p content has been obscenely good... again im surprised. My wii u defaulted to 1080i and honestly looked phenomenal on this.

I'd go OLED if:
-you dont use static material and dont mind a bit of IR
-if you have this in a lounge/area where some people will have a poor viewing angle of the TV
-if you LOVE black levels.. the 902b black levels arent bad at all but OLED has that infinite contrast

at the end of the day the OLED is kind of black levels + viewing angles.

I'd get the 902B otherwise as it saves you a lot of change and you have a FALD LED TV which seem to be a dying breed. would invest in OLED once the technology is just that tiny bit more refined (I personally want a bit more peak brightness). my logic was a 902b can be battered.. i dont need to worry whats on screen or about IR... and that peace of mine for me is great. dont think u can go wrong with either set!

My logic is just if u spend £1800 on a 902b, you have a spare £1k. you can put that money towards a new TV purchase in a year or twos time which means you can upgrade earlier without feeling guilt. I personally think diminishing returns for TVs starts kicking in around the £1500-2k mark.

Many thanks mate very useful. It gives better understanding.

Can I ask where did you get the discount and got for 1800£. In RS its around 2000 £ and with a bluerday players its 2080£. And are there any inconvenience with the Active 3D glasses? I would try to view a demo of both in Currys. Reading the reviews, I think I like both and inclined towards OLED.. Lets see...

Dodgexander

Image retention is just something that happens when you leave a static image on the screen for a long amount of time, I don't think its going to be better or worse between each TV. The only concern I would have is if the tv is a display model that has been showing a static image for a very long time. For most people its not an issue now. You could test by just viewing an image for a long time and then viewing test % grey test patterns afterwards to see if you still notice it but it is wiped by itself with time and if not, will be if you turn the tv off for 5 mins to perform its cycle.

But then again LCDs get screen burn in too so that would be the case with an LCD anyway.

You might also want to consider the Samsung KS9500.

Jram

Established Member
Image retention is just something that happens when you leave a static image on the screen for a long amount of time, I don't think its going to be better or worse between each TV. The only concern I would have is if the tv is a display model that has been showing a static image for a very long time. For most people its not an issue now. You could test by just viewing an image for a long time and then viewing test % grey test patterns afterwards to see if you still notice it but it is wiped by itself with time and if not, will be if you turn the tv off for 5 mins to perform its cycle.

But then again LCDs get screen burn in too so that would be the case with an LCD anyway.

You might also want to consider the Samsung KS9500.

Thanks any idea which Blueray player should I buy (to watch 3D contents too) if I am buying the LG C6V TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom