65" Advice / Feedback

rvicary

Standard Member
Hi,

Looking to take the plunge with a new TV and have now narrowed it down to XH95 or LG BX (65" versions). Appreciate they are different technologies but I'm looking for general feedback from owners if possible please. Have seen both in action and can see the blacks are better on the LG but the Sony looks bright and motion looks very good from what I've seen.

(Majority of tv watched will be sky sports, bt sports and movies pretty much. Room is well lit as a rule.)

Appreciate any comments and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
If it's a well lit room, that can't or you don't want to darken, the BX may not be the best choice for you as it's not as bright as the CX and quite a bit below the XH9505.

While OLED doesn't need the brightness of LCD as it has pure blacks for greater contrast I'd want to see it in a bright environment.

Overall, it is the better TV for picture quality, but it may not be suitable for you and if you do have to go with the XH9505 I doubt you'd feel short-changed.

Hi,

Looking to take the plunge with a new TV and have now narrowed it down to XH95 or LG BX (65" versions). Appreciate they are different technologies but I'm looking for general feedback from owners if possible please. Have seen both in action and can see the blacks are better on the LG but the Sony looks bright and motion looks very good from what I've seen.

(Majority of tv watched will be sky sports, bt sports and movies pretty much. Room is well lit as a rule.)

Appreciate any comments and feedback. Thanks in advance.

The LG will give you hands down better PQ. The Sony may well have looked brighter due to set up/picture mode used, particularly if viewed in a shop. in real world use you will find the OLED plenty bright enough.

rvicary

Standard Member
Thanks for both for the quick replies!

The picture quality on both was exceptional when viewed in shop (Currys) - I think I'm just wondering is it worth the extra ££ (which is obviously very subjective! :) )

Thanks for both for the quick replies!

The picture quality on both was exceptional when viewed in shop (Currys) - I think I'm just wondering is it worth the extra ££.

To be fair this is one of the rare occasions where i find myself in disagreement with @Sloppy Bob . He's probably got a fair point on the brightness issue though.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'd say it is worth the extra for the BX. If it was my decision and the room was or could be darkened I'd take the BX in a shot, although I'd probably wait until spring and see if I could get a CX for a better price.

I'm not convinced it's the right TV for you though. OLED doesn't perform as well as LCD in bright conditions and the BX has significantly less output than the CX.

BX - 500 Nits
CX - 700 Nits
XH9505 - 1125 Nits

The output isn't everything though, as I said above OLED doesn't need the peak brightness of LCD as it has perfect blacks so greater contrast, and it's contrast that makes the picture "pop" as well as giving detail.

I'd say it is worth the extra for the BX. If it was my decision and the romm was or could be darkened I'd take the BX in a shot, although I'd probably wait until spring and see if I could get a CX for a better price.

I'm not convinced it's the right TV for you though. OLED doesn't perform as well as LCD in bright conditions and the BX has significantly less output than the CX.

BX - 500 Nits
CX - 700 Nits
XH9505 - 1125 Nits

The output isn't everything though, as I said above OLED doesn't need the peak brightness of LCD as it has perfect blacks so greater contrast, and it's contrast that makes the picture "pop" as well as giving detail.

Yes, he does have a point about the brightness! 500nits would worry me for HDR duties, I did not realise it was that low. The CX would be far the better choice.

rvicary

Standard Member
Thanks again - I can't quite stretch to the CX at present so may hold off for the moment based on what you are saying. Although the Sony is still very tempting.

I currently have a Panasonic P50G20B which I've had 10 years pretty much, been a good servant tbf.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The cheapest time to buy a new TV is when the new models are released and start becoming available.

Every year that is in the spring, so that's when the discounts are highest on the old 2020 models and prices are highest on the new 2021 models.
I mean, who wants a 2020 TV at ~half price when you can pay full whack on a new one that's just ever so slightly incrementally better... or in the case of Samsung, worse.

I would think if your budget is @£1500 you'd be able to get a few different 65" OLED's for around that and the Sony will be discounted around £150 quid or so by then as well.

If you're coming from a Plasma, OLED is the optimal choice. While LCD tech has moved on in some ways, it's still hard to beat some elements of plasma that even OLED can't.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom