Question 65-80 Inch TV - Ideas?

chigz

Hi all,

Wanted to get some ideas for a 65-80 Inch TV. Viewing distance is about 3 meters, looking to spend around £3250.

Any suggestions? Dont want a curved TV

Thanks

Last edited:

SonOfSJ

Full HD or 4K resolution?

SonOfSJ

Probably, but ...... It's your decision of course, but I know what I'm doing! You can see from my signature which televisions I have already, but I want something bigger. I can't afford 4K in the size I want, so in January I'll be getting the Sony KDL-75W855C, see the listing on Amazon Sony KDL-75W855C Smart 3D 75-inch Full HD TV (Android TV, X-Reality Pro, Motionflow XR 800 Hz, Wi-Fi and NFC) - Black, 2015 Model: Amazon.co.uk: TV and see the owners' comments Amazon.co.uk:Customer Reviews: Sony KDL-75W855C Smart 3D 75-inch Full HD TV (Android TV, X-Reality Pro, Motionflow XR 800 Hz, Wi-Fi and NFC) - Black, 2015 Model . I should say that I'll be buying it not from Amazon, but from my local Sony Centre, who have undertaken to price match Richer Sounds. SONY BRAVIA KDL75W855C 75 inch 3D Smart LED Android TV 1080p HD Youview

3dPj

I'm not really sure. Assume 4K won't pick up for some time still ?

4k blu rays player are imminent. I would suggest getting something with HDR, HVEC, HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 capabilites.

I'm currently looking also, and I think I'm going for a Samsung UEJS9500 or Sony 75X9405C, but they are quite pricey. (waiting to see if the x94 has been updated to 2.0a)

With your budget in mind, I'd suggest a 65" js9000 or js8500

chigz

I was originally looking at the Sony x93c, earlier this year. Think I am priced out of the x94c at the moment.

What are your views on Flat vs Curved? not really been sold by the curve, which I belive the Samsungs are?

Last edited:

BM08

If your spending that kind of money you may aswell go for a 4K tv for abit of future proofing. And the curve does actually help if there's a lot of people watching the tv and some are sitting at an angle, if you watch pretty much straight on then you won't see any benefit at all.

Make sure you purchase from either John Lewis or RicherSounds if you have either locally, or if not it would be worth the few extra miles travelling to one because they are both known for good customer service and also both retailers offer 5/6 year warranty with most tv's. Currys do have a few with 5yr warrantys but ive heard they can be abit of a pain if you need to return anything etc, personally ive bought a tv from RS 2 years ago, they were helpful and ive not had to go back since because the tv has been spot on, id buy from them again whenever we upgrade.

4K TVs | 4K Televisions | Richer Sounds

Loads of decent ones there within your budget, if it were me id be looking at LG aswell, theres actually one for just under 2k, 65'' 4k NO curve LG 65UF950V 65 inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV Freeview HD

Very good reviews, someone commented saying they saw it next to a £3000 more expensive OLED LG tv and you couldnt tell them apart! i know you said you were looking at Sony's but dont write off LG, especially seeing as most of the big screen tv's from other manufacturers are curved, which is what you didnt want!

Just try not to look at a OLED LG in the shops, you'll want it i guarantee!

Last edited:

chigz

I have L shape sofas so the curve may help there.

Any suggestions on the 4k? Heard some good reviewed on the Hisense 65XT910

SonOfSJ

Well, you seem now to be inclining towards 4K resolution. You had earlier said that you wanted 65-80 inches. I'll just say that in all ranges, whether 4K or Full HD, there is usually quite a jump in price (at least 50%) in going from 65 inches to 75 inches. With only £2,500, you certainly won't be buying a (new) 80-inch set, though I have seen very recently some 70 and 80-inch Sharp televisions on eBay!

BM08

Ive edited my above post as i thought of other things and added links afterwards!

Yeah it would help you then probably, but if you go to a shop and just stand infront of a curved tv, then side step to the left or right and keep going slowly, you'll see what i mean, the picture looks just as good side on as it does straight.

Just googled the Hisense model you linked above, it must be a new model as there doesnt seem to be much in the way of reviews or high street shops selling them, infact the only one i saw was John Lewis, and nobody has left a review on there yet.
It does look like a nice tv and certainly has the specs on paper, but im not sure id want to sink 2k+ on a unknown brand, id be sticking with LG, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc. No offence to anyone who has a Hisense tv, its probably an amazing bit of kit, but id rather stick with what i know personally.

SonOfSJ

Just googled the Hisense model you linked above, it must be a new model as there doesnt seem to be much in the way of reviews or high street shops selling them, infact the only one i saw was John Lewis, and nobody has left a review on there yet.
Eh? No reviews? You've clearly not been reading these very pages carefully enough. Hisense 65XT910 Ultra HD 4K LED TV Review , and make sure to read at least some of the comments in the Discussion tab.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom