65" - 77" TV for living room

suzi11

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my living room TV to a 65" - 77" model. Appreciate any help choosing the replacement. TIA

What's your budget and size requirements?
65” to 77”
AUD 3000 – AUD 6000 (£1600 - £3200)

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?
Games console
o Nintendo Switch (limited use – mostly Just Dance and Mario Kart)
A computer
o 2gb card (very limited use)

What content will you watch on the TV?
Streaming movies or TV shows most of the time.

What streaming services do you plan to use?
o Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, YouTube, Plex
• Broadcast TV
o HD
SD 20% (I do enjoy binging Murder She Wrote and Columbo)
HD 60%
UHD 20%

What proportion of your viewing will be broadcast TV shows, broadcast sport, broadcast movies, streaming TV/movies, DVDs, FHD Blu-Rays, UHD Blu-Rays or games?
Broadcast TV shows 3%
Broadcast Sport 20%
Broadcast Movies 2%
Streaming TV shows or Movies 70%
Games 5%

Situational questions:

• What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV?

Currently on a recently repaired LG B6 55”. Had a mixed experience since the purchase in 2017. A little over a year after purchase, rows of little rectangles started appearing at the bottom of the screen, but I wouldn’t have called it burn in as it wasn’t from any known image that had been displayed on the screen. Rang LG who weren’t helpful and I didn’t pursue it as it wasn’t SUPER bothersome. The screen continued to deteriorate with a green blob appearing in the middle of the screen about 18 months ago and overall dimming. I made more of a fuss (on holidays so had the time) and after a bit of a run around and threatening to go to the equivalent of a small claims tribunal under Australian consumer laws, LG offered a one-time courtesy warranty repair and replaced the panel at no cost a week or so ago. It will now become a bedroom TV.

I’m not specifically put-off LGs and OLEDs but am a little trigger shy. That said, I find the Magic Remote super useful and love the picture quality (when it’s working properly) and would find it difficult but not impossible to move away.

Hoping for a more immersive experience and excellent picture quality.

• Are you a tweaker or set and forget kind of person?
Something in the middle.

• What is your viewing distance?
3.5m

• If you place yourself in the position of your TV facing towards where you watch, at what angle from the centre is each integral seating position? (Tip, use a protractor to measure angles).
30 degrees (guesstimation)

• When will you use the TV and what kind of lighting will be in your room? Some examples:
o Bright conditions during the day 60%
o Dark movie nights in the evening 40%

• Would your usage of an OLED TV put you at risk of permanent burn in? Please read: OLED Burn In Risk
Varied content. Rare for it to be on a news channel for more than 30 minutes. Definitely had a Netflix logo burn in on the old panel though which happened pretty early on.

• Do you need any legacy connections like composite or component?
No.

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance:

1. Overall picture quality.
2. Cost
3. Value
4. Blacks
5. Shadow detail
6. SDR Picture quality
7. Smart TV ease of use
8. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration)
9. Smart TV app selection
10. Sound
11. Viewing angles

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:

1. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
2. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks.
3. Reflective screens
4. Motion blur
5. Colour banding.
6. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows.
7. Motion stutter
8. Raised blacks
9. Slow smart TV

Any extra notes you'd like to add/questions not covered here?
Have narrowed it down to the following with current AUD pricing:
LG QNED91 75” (AUD 4090)
LG C1 77” (AUD 5750)
LG C1 65” (AUD 3360)
LG G1 65” (AUD 3850)

I’d definitely prefer a 75” or 77” because nobody regrets going too big right? But, it’s a big price jump from 65 to 77 in the OLEDs. Have stuck with LG because of the attachment to the Magic Remote but it could be pried out of my hands. Longevity is a high priority. I don’t intend to upgrade for at least 5 years.

Thanks!

I think if you want an alternative to OLED then you'd need to look at Samsung's FALD models over LG. LG are still using IPS type panels which have poor contrast, blooming and the local dimming on the QNED91 is pretty slow, with crushed blacks. Not ideal if you want to enjoy the TV in darker conditions, and especially with bad screen uniformity and loss of detail high on your list.

You may also find viable alternatives in Australia from TCL or Hisense, just not sure of their model ranges out there so not sure what would be recommended.

With Samsung the 75" QN91A and above are for sure using VA panels at this size. At 85" the QN90A is identical to the others, which is not the case at 75". These TVs should be cheaper than OLED at 75" (vs 77" OLED) and still offer a high-quality picture. A bonus being they cope very well with reflections and brighter environments.

Budget LCD TV option if you're not so bothered about HDR picture quality - Sony X90J.

Alternative to high end Samsung LCD TVs from Sony - X95J.

Ah thank you. Dodged a bullet with the QNED then.

The Samsung QN91A doesn't appear to be available in Aus. Are you saying that the QN90A doesn't have the VA panel at 75" (I definitely don't have the wall space for 80"+).

One thing I did notice in looking at a Samsung QLED in store, is a grid pattern in very light pictures. Is that an IPS panel thing?

TCL and Hisense don't seem to have the best rep here. Perhaps that's not justified. I'll look further.

I'm not totally avoiding OLED by any means. Am wondering if the Sony A90J is a better alternative to the LG C1 longevity wise with its heat sink???

Last edited:
Yeah, you may have different models in Australia. Not sure if they follow European, or American trends there.

If it's like in the US then the QN90A model will always be VA, if it's like Europe, some models with be VA, some IPS with no way of knowing pre-purchase.

You may have noticed the FALD zones on the Samsung or may have just been bad screen uniformity you noticed. Displays that use IPS panels are worse for this, but they can show on displays with VA too. Really bad idea to judge from what you see in the shop though.

If you want to go large, you have to spend big on OLEDs generally. The LG A1 may close that gap a little though.

The A90J is using the new type of panel with a heatsink, so HDR picture quality is better than the mid-range models and the new panel type is more durable. Not sure if it's anymore future proof though. In fact, I'm not quite sure how it's possible to recommend one TV over another for future proofing (as long as all the models you are comparing are capable of HDR, which they are).

Yeah, you may have different models in Australia. Not sure if they follow European, or American trends there.

If it's like in the US then the QN90A model will always be VA, if it's like Europe, some models with be VA, some IPS with no way of knowing pre-purchase.

You may have noticed the FALD zones on the Samsung or may have just been bad screen uniformity you noticed. Displays that use IPS panels are worse for this, but they can show on displays with VA too. Really bad idea to judge from what you see in the shop though.

If you want to go large, you have to spend big on OLEDs generally. The LG A1 may close that gap a little though.

The A90J is using the new type of panel with a heatsink, so HDR picture quality is better than the mid-range models and the new panel type is more durable. Not sure if it's anymore future proof though. In fact, I'm not quite sure how it's possible to recommend one TV over another for future proofing (as long as all the models you are comparing are capable of HDR, which they are).
Thanks for that. In the end I don't think I can go back to led after oled so will look for a deal on the a80j during the next sale period (stock permitting) with the LG C1 as a fall back (A1 and b1 don't come in 77" in Australia).

Thanks so much for your responses.

Here in the Baltics I had been debating for a long time on what set and which manufacturer to choose from. I had looked at mid-tier options from Samsung, Sony, LG and Philips. Ultimately, I decided on LG after picking up their SP11RA Soundbar for a great price, as I wanted a TV that would match it. In terms of the TV set I thought I was sure to get the LG C1 OLED in either 65 or 77" but after seeing the scale of 75/77" screens in action, I soon realized that I didn't want to go less than a 75" set. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I decided to go with the 75" QNED91, which is the European version of the QNED90.

But why you might ask? and the main reason I picked the QNED over the OLED was down to price. At €1,736 Euros including DPD delivery, it was over a grand less when compared to the equivalent size C1. I know OLED is deemed the most premium option in terms of picture, but value plays an important factor and going from a basic level 50" 4k Philips LCD the QNED should be a significant upgrade in terms of screen size and picture quality. The TV set arrived this morning and I plan to unbox and set it up later after work.

Attachments

• LG 75QNED91.jpg
    LG 75QNED91.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 92

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom