65-75 inch TV under 1000€ (~900£)

mhoc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a TV for my parents' living room. The viewing distance is quite long, around 5.5 m. The room is relatively dark and will fit a 65-75 in TV.

Usage is mostly IP TV, mostly HD, but also some SD channels, quite a lot of movies and some sports, and watching movies from external HDD and HBO GO.

HDR is not really important, neither is sound quality. The priority is good picture quality/viewing experience for watching HD movies and HD IP TV channels.

I'm thinking about buying the Philips 70 PUS 7304 (right at 1000€) but have read some mixed reviews. The other option is Samsung 65 RU 8000, which seems to be a good choice, but is currently a little over budget (1.175€) and seems to be getting harder to find here.

Any other recommendations that fit the criteria will be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hisense 65 U7A got excellent write ups on here. harder to find as the newer model is out, but this has better reviews and is a better Tv from the advice I have been given.

Just found it for a great price in Spain. mine is ordered :) here any day now.

TELEVISION 65 PULGADAS HISENSE 65U7A PANEL ULED, UHD 4K Electrodomésticos Web

Good luck. this took me months to narrow down and hours of looking. :) The advice on here was great and influenced my final result. Dodgexander gives out excellent advice it really helped me.

Thanks Steve! I noticed the Hisense, but it doesn't seem to be available where I am. I'm not really keen on buying from another country, because it's for the parents. In case a return will be needed, it's easier to deal with a local store.
EDIT: Seems I was wrong, Hisense is available locally, but only the newer models, U7B (850€) and U8B (1000€). Would an U8B then be the best choice?

My other candidates are also lower end Samsungs RU7400 (850€ 65 in) or RU7000 (620€ 65 in/ 870€ 70 in) and now also Hisense B7500 (700€). I haven't checked many others (LG, Sony ...). There are too many choices :)

Last edited:
it drove me crazy the choices and model numbers.
They are both good TV's better to wait for one of the more experienced experts to give you the final say. which country are you in?

Does this guide help you at all? My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

Pricing should be roughly similar to the UK.

You've already decided HDR isn't important, so the only thing you need to decide now is whether you need wide viewing angles or not. There are TVs in the guide catered for both.

For your needs I wouldn't look further than the low range section in each size category.

I read the guide, thank you for writing it. I think that due to the viewing distance and around 15° maximum angle from each side, a VA panel will be okay.

The first pick in each category is the Hisense. But now I read that the European models are not of the same quality (and specs?) as the UK ones ... is that correct?

Last edited:
I haven't heard that, but I know different countries can have different pricing and availability so if there are any others in the list that they may also be suited.

What size and budget are you looking at?

I'm looking for 65" for under 1000€ ... it's in the title :)

I'm looking for 65" for under 1000€ ... it's in the title :)
Sorry, I overlooked that.

Since you don't need wide viewing angles I'd be targeting models like the Hisense U8B or Samsung RU8000 with that budget. The Hisense shouldn't be a worse TV elsehwere, especially the U8B which the second best TV they have in their LCD lineup.

The competition otherwise isn't so great from other manufacturers, LG, Philips and Sony don't make LCD TVs with VA type panels in your budget and 65", whilst Panasonic's 65" GX700 and GX800 tends to be overpriced...(Panasonic may have different model numbers where you live).

The only other I can think of is TCL, they are similar to Hisense with value for money but they don't have a TV using a 120hz panel, so that makes the Hisense and Samsung better options.

The Samsung Q60R btw is identical to the RU8000, so if you found that model for only £50 extra or so, it can be worth getting that instead.

Thanks for your input.

How much better is U8B be than U7B and the lower end models? These are the current prices for me (all 65"): B7100 - 600€, B7500 - 700€, U7B - 850€, U8B - 1000€.

The current Philips 7300 should have a VA panel at least in some sizes (including 70" but not 65") so I'm still considering it. I can get the 70" for 1000€ and the 65 for 900€.

The 70" Philips has a better chance of being VA than other sizes for sure. 65" you are taking a risk whether it comes with VA or IPS. Unfortunately there's no conclusive information out there that states it will be VA type.

Specification wise the Philips is closest to the B7100 Hisense, but it has the advantage of supporting both HDR dynamic meta data formats. It is however not worth a mighty EUR900 when it costs only another 100 to get the Hisense U8B that is by far the better TV.

With the Philips model you are paying 40% more for only slight benefits over the Hisense B7100. If you do want a lower range TV, stick with Hisense who have a lot better value for money in this area.

Philips 7 series is still using a 60hz panel and doesn't even come with a wide colour gamut. Its picture process for a TV with a 60hz panel is decent, but can't be compared to higher end models running 120hz and whilst its support for both dynamic meta data HDR formats is nice, its by no means a capable HDR TV.

Okay, so there should be no dilemma to pick the U8B over the Philips 7300 VA panel.

Currently I'm leaning toward B7500 as it is the only 65" Hisense that I can get with extended warranty.

The extra 100 over the B7100 is worth it for an extended warranty, especially since the B7500 supports Dolby Vision HDR.

The U7B is not worth 150 more than the B7500.

Pricing is a little different to in the UK at the moment, but pricing can be different in different countries. It also fluctuates a lot, so which TV is discounted today may be different next week.

In the UK there is a £150 difference between the 65" B7500 and U8B. For you its almost twice that. So your prices are cheaper for the lower end models, but more expensive for the higher end ones comparatively.

But be careful buying, because prices can fluctuate a lot.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom