65" 4k TV For Under £700

neil0129

Standard Member
Hi, looking to upgrade to a new TV this Black Friday. Looking at a 65" model. Have looked so far at the following:-

Philips65PUS6754/12
Hisense65B7500UK
SamsungUE56RU7100
LG65UM7400PB
JVCLT-65C880
Toshiba65U2963DB
So far i think im edging towards the Philips, as it seems to to include all HDR formats (HD10+, DV, HLG).

Any opinions on these sets, and is there any that i missed out for my budget that anyone can recomend? So many options out there would greatly take all and any help on this, thank you.

Dodgexander

Provided you don't need wide viewing angles the Hisense will be your best bet at getting a good-un. The Philips may have HDR10+ format support, but you won't know for sure which panel type you get on the TV until you own it.

The same is true of Samsung, although its the other way round with HDR10+ supported and Dolby Vision not.

The LG is suited more if you do need wide viewing angles, but has worse contrast and blacks.

Whilst the JVC/Toshiba are not their own brands any more and are best avoided, supermarket quality TVs now.

neil0129

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply.
I think i narrowed it down now between the Philips/Hisense/LG
Is HDR10+ a big feature not to have (Hisense)?
And what do you mean with the Philips, you dont know what panel you get?
And i have an LG currently, since 2011 model, and been very happy with it, that why im also tempted to stay with that brand.
So torn between the 3 of them at the moment.
It will be wall mounted, viewing angles not to importart, if that makes any difference to any recomendations?

Dodgexander

Is HDR10+ a big feature not to have (Hisense)?
Its a nice-to-have but not a big feature. If you watch a lot of Amazon Prime its worth more to you than if you don't.
And what do you mean with the Philips, you dont know what panel you get?
TVs come with different types of panels, the panels themselve dictate mostly the kind of picture quality the TV has. Read more here:

With the Philips, its unknown which panel type you'll get with the TV until you own it.
And i have an LG currently, since 2011 model, and been very happy with it, that why im also tempted to stay with that brand.
LGs are always using IPS panels at 65". The contrast and blacks will be similar to your existing TV, so if you are happy with your current TV you'll be happy with a new LG too.
It will be wall mounted, viewing angles not to importart, if that makes any difference to any recomendations?
If you read the panel link above you'll see that if you don't need wide viewing angles then TVs that are using VA panels are probably preferred. Also depends on other factors, for example if you always view with the lights on, or like to enjoy the TV in the dark/dim lighting.

neil0129

Standard Member
Hi All

Went to Costco and saw this Sony on offer for just over a £1000. What are the views on this TV, looks very good to me?

Also got my eye on the Hisense H65U8B which is a couple of hundred pound cheaper.

Dodgexander

Its what you'd expect to pay for a mid range model using a 120hz IPS panel. Motion will be good. Blacks and Contrast/Screen uniformity will be poor against competition like Hisense U8B and Samsung RU8000.

The Sony might look alright with blacks and contrast/screen uniformity if viewed in a bright room, or with some bias lighting.

neil0129

Standard Member
So not great then really, you would put the Hisense and the Samsung above the Sony?

Been looking at a couple of Samsungs as well, the RU8000 you mentioned and also the QE65Q60R. So many options out there my head is spinning.

Dodgexander

So not great then really, you would put the Hisense and the Samsung above the Sony?
It depends if you need good viewing angles or not. If you need good viewing angles and a TV with an IPS panel then the Sony is a decent buy at that price.
Been looking at a couple of Samsungs as well, the RU8000 you mentioned and also the QE65Q60R. So many options out there my head is spinning.
The RU8000 and Q60R are the same TV more or less. The Q60R only quantum dot tech which means when HDR is used it has a wider variaty of colours. Apart from that the Q60R has dual tuners and QLED exclusive software features such as ambient mode.

I think the Hisense U8B is a better acquisition overall, since it has Dolby Vision support and gets a little brighter too.

Dodgexander

Thanks for your help.

£669.99
Shipping Included
Philips 65PUS6804/12 65 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart Ambilight TV

This looks a decent price for this? Cant see much difference between this and another Phillips i had listed, the 6754/12?
Differences can be seen on their website, picture quality will be the same.

It will be something small like software/ambilight type.

I have merged your two threads together, there's no need to make a new thread.

Top Bottom