Question 65" 4K TV for a HTPC Primary Source - Judder / Stutter Mitigation

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mt1104uk, Nov 6, 2018.

1. mt1104uk

mt1104uk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I do 95% of my TV watching via my HTPC that I built, currently running a 1050TI so has all the neccessary hardware support to enable Netflix 4K via either the Windows Store App or Edge.

In August, I used a ebay 10% voucher code to order a Philips 65PUS6262. That had to be returned due to a coil whine issue coming from the main PCB which they could not fix (even with a "new" replacement board).

However, during the few months I had with the TV I noticed very bad judder as well as stutter when viewing Youtube on Firefox and Netflix via the App. Switching to Chrome for Youtube helped somewhat but it was far from smooth. Switching the output refresh rate of the GPU to 59hz seemed to help the Netflix App a bit as well.

I was connecting at 4K60 @ 4:4:4 chroma (though 4k59 at a later stage)

After researching, judder is apparently due to having a 24hz media source on a 60hz signal, and stutter is due to having low pixel response times.

Before the philips, and what I'm back to now, is a cheapo 50" e-motion tv I got from Asda years ago. I connect to it at 1080p @ 60hz - but I get no judder or stutter issues from it. I can only assume the SoC Philips had in the TV was trying to do something funky to the signal and failing.

Reading reviews on rtings, it seems some TVs are able to detect 24hz content over a 60hz signal, which is presumably what I am going to need?

My two shortlist models for black friday are:

Samsung NU8000
    Sony XF9005

Currently leaning towards the NU8000 as the Sony is using an underpowered SoC from 2016 which makes the Android OS a pain to use.

Ideally I want to be able to connect at 4K120 as 120 is divisable by 24, 30 and 60hz media content, which would get rid of any judder. But that would mean waiting another year, possibly two for HDMI 2.1 to become fully realised.

Stutter wise, I'm kind of in a rock and a hard place, as really its just a factor of large TV panels and low FPS content. The larger the TV, the bigger the distance each frame "jumps" so the percieved stutter is increased. However, I really dislike the soap opera effect that motion interpolation introduces (I'm fine with content natively shot at higher FPS). I see with both the Samsung and Sony they have settings to play with motion interpolation, so maybe I can find a setting which takes the edge off the stutter but doesn't introduce the soap opera effect.

Is anyone else running a HTPC with a >= 65" 4K panel? If so what have their experience been with regards to judder and stutter?

Unfortunately AMD does not really have a half height GPU that is an equilivent to the 1050TI, otherwise I could connect to the NU8000 using freesync @ 1080p, which would also solve the judder issues.

Any advice is very welcome.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    If you want the TV to detect 24fps from a 60hz source you need a 120hz panel and you need to enable a motion setting in each TV. For Samsung you enable custom and sit the sliders on 0 and for Sony you use Cinemotion.

But why don't you just use the apps on the TV or do they have judder too? I think the Sony Netflix app might since it runs at 60hz but Cinemotion on High should solve that.

I would personally steer away from using windows with its half-assed HDR implementation and use it only for your own rips, that way you can set up auto refresh rate switching and bypass this issue completely. Netflix will work better through the TVs app anyway as you get HDR support.

And with HDR in mind, that would be my priority, even more so if you use more than only Netflix such as Amazon, Apple TV or UHD Blu-Rays.

3. mt1104uk

mt1104uk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

Regarding HDR, I must admit I'm not overly fussed with it tbh, the currrent state of play with content HDR specifications and display HDR specifications / standards, it all seems a bit of a sh*t show really, it'll probably (hopefully) stablise over the next few years though.

The Philips Netflix app overrode the display settings and forces motion interpolation on, which turned me off the app really, and after using a desktop version of Youtube on my TV for many years (using a keyboard with a trackpad), the thought of moving to a TV Youtube app doesn't really fill me with enthusimasm.

I realise my situation is probably rather unique.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    I almost went the HTPC route myself but chose against it. There are annoying bugs such as Youtube HDR not working without stutter. I tried it myself with my Laptop connected to my UHD TV.

HDR is so so until you get a TV that does a good job at displaying it, it wouldn't look good on your Philips but if you use it on a TV like the XF9005 you will see an great improvement and you probably won't want to use your PC anymore for those shows that are enabled in HDR. Not only that but Netflix using the built in Sony app will also give you dolby vision HDR which is a step in quality alone.

But as a basic needs for your situation of wanting to use a HTPC a 120hz panel is best used, if you don't care for HDR just get the Samsung NU8000.