65” TV Advice - Living Room

Bells

Novice Member
I’m looking for some advice please as I’ve seen loads of reviews online and don’t seem to be getting anywhere! I’m moving out in the next few months and instead of using my existing bedroom TV in the living room I’ve decided I’d like to upgrade.

Can’t really fault my existing TV, it’s the Samsung UE55MU7000, it’s 4K and the picture quality seems decent to me, albeit nothing spectacular. Usage is varied with some occasional PS5 gaming mainly FIFA etc, plus watching Sky (usually Football), Disney, Netflix and Prime.

Ideally I think I’d like to go for 65’’ but don’t want to spent more than £1300 ideally, I feel this is achievable if I stick with a Samsung and get a decent QLED set but think I might struggle if I wanted an LG OLED panel unless it was a 2021 model after CES and I get a decent deal?

I guess I’ve got a few main questions - Am I likely to notice a big difference in quality compared to my current TV if I went with a QLED panel from Samsung given my current TV is 4K and HDR10 compatible already? I’ve viewed a few in shops but it’s always so difficult to compare!

Also, with my TV in the living room being in close proximity to Bi-Fold doors will this be an issue for an OLED panel given it will be quite a bright room during the day?

Finally, the big thing putting me off OLED currently is potential burn in and of course the extra price, would I likely be impacted by burn in given my usage listed above?

Thanks in advance!

Dodgexander

There are two types of TVs sold today. LCD and OLED.
So, when you see models sold as 'QLED' they are still LCD TVs like your old TV, and they are not a new display tech like OLED.
Ideally I think I’d like to go for 65’’ but don’t want to spent more than £1300 ideally, I feel this is achievable if I stick with a Samsung and get a decent QLED set but think I might struggle if I wanted an LG OLED panel unless it was a 2021 model after CES and I get a decent deal?
Check the models in my guide here:
If you buy at the right time you can find some good deals on outgoing stock, they usually happen around spring time.
There's also refurb stores:

They tend to start getting good prices on last year's stock this time of year also. They come and go fast.
I guess I’ve got a few main questions - Am I likely to notice a big difference in quality compared to my current TV if I went with a QLED panel from Samsung given my current TV is 4K and HDR10 compatible already? I’ve viewed a few in shops but it’s always so difficult to compare!
If you bought your TV new today it would be a mid range model, so £1300 even on a 65" now should get you a decent step up in quality. In the guide look at pro, or semi-pro TVs.
Also, with my TV in the living room being in close proximity to Bi-Fold doors will this be an issue for an OLED panel given it will be quite a bright room during the day?
It depends, compared to Samsung's QN91 and above models OLEDs don't do so well with bright environments or reflections, but this is more because these TVs are very, very good in these conditions rather than OLEDs being poor.
It's really hard to give a steadfast answer because no one really knows how bright your room is, or how bad reflections would be. One thing to beware of is that some of the entry level OLEDs like the LG B1 and A1 do not get as bright as the more expensive models, so they may not be as suited for HDR usage during the day as an LCD TV would.
Finally, the big thing putting me off OLED currently is potential burn in and of course the extra price, would I likely be impacted by burn in given my usage listed above?
If you're a big gamer of FIFA OLED is probably not a good idea in the long term. Does depend how much you play though. rtings.com test of the 2017 OLEDs saw about 5000 hours of a FIFA loop before the TVs started to show burn in. If you can work out your yearly use of FIFA in hours, you can estimate how long the TV should last. Generally - A few hours a week no problem, but if it's not uncommon to play 20 hours then the TV isn't going to last 5 years plus. Most people don't need to worry, but static images can cause damage in the long term, and FIFA is a game that has plenty of those.

Your other usage doesn't sound like it would be a problem at all.

Bells

Novice Member
There are two types of TVs sold today. LCD and OLED.
So, when you see models sold as 'QLED' they are still LCD TVs like your old TV, and they are not a new display tech like OLED.

Check the models in my guide here:
If you buy at the right time you can find some good deals on outgoing stock, they usually happen around spring time.
There's also refurb stores:

They tend to start getting good prices on last year's stock this time of year also. They come and go fast.

If you bought your TV new today it would be a mid range model, so £1300 even on a 65" now should get you a decent step up in quality. In the guide look at pro, or semi-pro TVs.

It depends, compared to Samsung's QN91 and above models OLEDs don't do so well with bright environments or reflections, but this is more because these TVs are very, very good in these conditions rather than OLEDs being poor.
It's really hard to give a steadfast answer because no one really knows how bright your room is, or how bad reflections would be. One thing to beware of is that some of the entry level OLEDs like the LG B1 and A1 do not get as bright as the more expensive models, so they may not be as suited for HDR usage during the day as an LCD TV would.

If you're a big gamer of FIFA OLED is probably not a good idea in the long term. Does depend how much you play though. rtings.com test of the 2017 OLEDs saw about 5000 hours of a FIFA loop before the TVs started to show burn in. If you can work out your yearly use of FIFA in hours, you can estimate how long the TV should last. Generally - A few hours a week no problem, but if it's not uncommon to play 20 hours then the TV isn't going to last 5 years plus. Most people don't need to worry, but static images can cause damage in the long term, and FIFA is a game that has plenty of those.

Your other usage doesn't sound like it would be a problem at all.
Thanks for the reply, some really useful information - I’ve just had a quick scan through your guide and it’s great - definitely a few models for the shortlist!

I’m not in a rush to buy so I’ll keep an eye on prices over the next few months and try to pickup a high end 2021 model as the new 2022 versions arrive. If I wait till I’m moved in Feb time too I can judge the lighting situation a bit better for myself.

I don’t game a lot on FIFA, no more than 5-10 hours a week. However, I wonder if the scoreboard shown on TV football matches which can be on for 6 hours+ on a weekend in addition to Sky Sports News banners etc in the week could cause an issue for me longer term with OLED. There’s always additional warranties with JL etc but it’s an additional cost to consider and factor in.

Based on what I’ve read so far I’m leaning towards a high spec QLED model, seeing as it should still be a marked improvement on what I have at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom