65” OLED: C1 or A80J

Tom Hyphen

Standard Member
Will be upgrading my 49” Sony X900F to a 65” OLED soon and I literally can’t decide between these two?

I think I’d prefer the Sony A80J to be honest as I love the processing and PQ of my current set, and a new Sony OLED can only be even better.

That said the C1 looks highly rated and has better gaming features (HGIG/VRR etc) that would be perfect for my PS5.

Usage would be 60/40 movies/gaming.

Dodgexander

LG aren't that far behind with processing like they used to be. Yes Sony are better, but its not huge.
A80J is brighter though since its using a new panel type, its competitor is the G1 which also uses the same panel type, not the C1 which still uses the old manufacturer process.

Movies>Games A80J or LG G1
Games>Movies C1 or G1

Both are good TVs in all areas, so don't stress yourself out too much by comparing them. After all, they are both OLEDs that use integrated panels made by LG and won't differ that much compared to LCD TVs where panel + backlighting system can be entirely different model to model.

iron_monkey

Looks like Sony are only adding the gaming features for the ps5 to there own tvs. A pretty crappy move imo.

Tom Hyphen

Standard Member
LG aren't that far behind with processing like they used to be. Yes Sony are better, but its not huge.
A80J is brighter though since its using a new panel type, its competitor is the G1 which also uses the same panel type, not the C1 which still uses the old manufacturer process.

Games>Movies C1 or G1

Both are good TVs in all areas, so don't stress yourself out too much by comparing them. After all, they are both OLEDs that use integrated panels made by LG and won't differ that much compared to LCD TVs where panel + backlighting system can be entirely different model to model.
Indeed I suspect Sony may have slight PQ advantage but LG close and with better features.

Thanks for the reply anyway I guess can’t go too far wrong with either.

Dodgexander

Depends on where you are located. In the US I've been looking at 77" OLED and the C1 and A80J are the same price. So I am leaning towards Sony.
On price yes, but these TVs are not alike in spec. The A80J is using the new type of panel which gets brighter, the C1 still using the older type. The brightness can make a significant increase in PQ for HDR.

So really spec to spec its A80J vs G1, the C1 is a bit lower range.

Dodgexander

I don't think the 55 inch a80j has the new panel in uk I might be wrong ,a certain utuber says motion is rubbish on the Sony but I have it and seems fine.hope you well guys
You could be right, it may depend where the panel comes from. With the LG C1 supposedly some of the TVs come with the new panel, but are locked with brightness.

Tom Hyphen

Standard Member
It seems at 77” you’re guaranteed the new panel, but a lottery for the 55/65” models. This applies to both C1 + A80J.

Don’t think it matters too much as the new panel is hardly a game-changer.

Dodgexander

Don’t think it matters too much as the new panel is hardly a game-changer.
You sure? rtings.com reviewed the A80J to have quite a bit of extra brightness. Also the new panel type should be more durable.

Seems Sony may or may not be doing what LG are doing and harnessing the brightness on their C1s which do have the new panel.

Tom Hyphen

Standard Member
You sure? rtings.com reviewed the A80J to have quite a bit of extra brightness. Also the new panel type should be more durable.

Seems Sony may or may not be doing what LG are doing and harnessing the brightness on their C1s which do have the new panel.

Difficult to tell for sure. All of the comparisons I’ve seen between the new and old panel (including on here in the C1 review) say the difference in brightness is mostly barely noticeable.

New panel should add some extra longevity, but the recent panels already seem pretty durable, so whilst I’d prefer the new panel, it doesn’t seem a big deal.

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'd also note that the A80J under 77" has some kind of matt screen that seems to put a few people off.

I'd rather have Sonys motion handling though never mind the "new" screen.

Last edited:

FusedANUBIS 1

Games>Movies C1 or G1

I thought all the 77” C1 had new evo panel and I’ve also read about some 65” that have the evo panel depends on which factory it’s been manufactured in-but I might be wrong

FusedANUBIS 1

I'd also note that the A90J under 77" has some kind of matt screen that seems to put a few people off.

I thought it was the 55&65 a80j that had the semi matte finish and only the 77”a80j is glossy

Mrbumpit

Standard Member
I'd also note that the A80J under 77" has some kind of matt screen that seems to put a few people off.

Quantum TV in utube says motion is rubbish on a80j a90j.i don't see a problem.

Dodgexander

Quantum TV in utube says motion is rubbish on a80j a90j.i don't see a problem.
He's not a very reliable source to be honest. Most YouTube reviews and comparisons are best avoided unless they have some professional calibration equipment and measurements to back it up.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Quantum is pointless, he says whatever he thinks will get him views and goes against the grain, and rubbishes, his competition that uses actual calibration equipment.

Mrbumpit

Standard Member
Quantum is pointless, he says whatever he thinks will get him views and goes against the grain, and rubbishes, his competition that uses actual calibration equipment.
He's says hes a calibrator tbh.hes made a video today again saying the Sony a80j as motion problems 😳

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
He's says hes a calibrator

Yet never shows or discusses any of his equipment. Never gives proper advice on calibration, instead doing it by eye.

He goes against what other, decent reviews, who give calibration advice and have real knowledge, purely to get views. He calls them out on occasion, it's often laughable.

Watch him. Don't watch him. Your choice. Mine is he's a pointless self-promoting buffoon and I'd put no stock in anything he says as he's likely to completely 180 on it.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Picking between C1 and A80 is like chasing between a Ferrari and Lambo. You can't go wrong with either IMO and there isn't much separating the 2.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton