1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64mb, 128mb or 256mb graphics card.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Timh, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    How important is the memory on a graphics card?
    I am on a budget of approx £70 and was thinking of going for the MSI Geforce FX5200 TD 128mb as I recently read a good review of this card.
    But i have just noticed komplett are doing a Gainward Geforce FX5200 256mb for £75, would this be a better card to go for or would the extra memory not make much differance.

The card is for gaming and flight sims and not dvd playback.

My pc

XP1800
    512 ddr ram
    80gb barracuda Hd
    MSI mobo.
    geforce mx200 32mb graphics.

Thanks for any help.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    More memory the better I think for games - the card stores the textures etc on board, and doesn't need to retrieve them from hard drive.

I guess it can also depend on the game, and how much texture memory it needs.

Anybody else confirm all that?

Gary.

3. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Timh,

To answer your question, the GeForce FX5200 is a nice entry-level card but it simply isn’t powerful enough to make good use of the extra 128MB of ram. Paying the extra money would be pointless.

You say you’ll be using the card for gaming. I was wondering whether your budget could stretch to say a Radeon 9600 (or even a 9600 Pro)? The Sapphire 9600 (non pro) retails at £92.83 from Overclockers UK (http://www.overclockers.co.uk) whereas the PowerColor 9600 Pro retails at £111.51. I think these would be better options than the FX5200 to be honest. They’re quite a bit faster and you’ll certainly be glad of the extra punch they give. Flight sims can prove quite taxing - even on today’s top cards!

Alex

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just regarding graphics memory, 128mb is plenty. 256mb is pretty useless at present - more for marketing than anything else.

:smoke:

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks for your comments, I will take a look at overclockers.
    So whats the best for gaming Nvidia or radeon?

Cheers

Tim

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Looking at the core speed and memory speed of the Radeon 9600 it seems it would be much quicker than the FX5200.
    Or maybe go for an FX5600 with even faster core and memory speed.

So it seems like i better up my budget.

7. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer is bang on there. At present there is no need for 256mb, 128mb is plenty and I've even seen arguements that most stuff doesn't breach 64mb. All could change overnight when the big games are released at Christmas.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Just found out that for Hi Def 1080p playback, a graphics card with 8x AGP and 128m on board is recommended (9600 for instance).

Not related to this thread exactly, but thought someone might find it interesting :)

Gary.

9. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

Think again about nVidia. You might want to check out some of the other threads reference ATI and nVidia. It appears that for DX9 performance an FX5900 is roughly on a par with a Radeon 9600 Pro. ATI appear to be doing everything right at the moment and if Futuremark get everyone to comply with their four guidelines for benchmarking you could see ATI hold the high ground at least in the short term.

Buy a Sapphire Atlantis 9800 (£210), flash the bios with the 9800 Pro firmware, then use Rage3D's tweak utility to squeeze a bit more horsepower out. That's what I'd do.