64bit Windows 7 compatibility

Mickey123

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I never saw the attraction to Vista and as such am still on XP pro and happy here.

One day though I will be forced to go 64 bit as 3 gig or RAM won't cut it any more.
When that day comes will I be able to use my old 32 bit games and apps or will I have to start again?

Hi there,

I never saw the attraction to Vista and as such am still on XP pro and happy here.

One day though I will be forced to go 64 bit as 3 gig or RAM won't cut it any more.
When that day comes will I be able to use my old 32 bit games and apps or will I have to start again?

Yeah most games work fine, in-fact I was just playing the old PS2 GTA games the other day via Steam.

I am sure that there will be a few that give you issues but for me that's just a side effect of PC gaming and upgrading.

Although having said that I am yet to try an old game that doesn't work in Windows 7

Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression if I went 64 bit nothing 32 bit would work and for obvious reasons it put me right off.

May give 64 bit a look now :]

Windows 7 does come with both 32 bit and 64 bit included. Unless i have been misinformed. So you can install which ever fits your system specifications.

90% of 32bit stuff will run no worries. albeit with patches or user made mods etc so its nothing too much to worry about. there is the occasional game thats a bit of a pain to get running but they are rare

Haven't had a problem yet running 32bit stuff on my 64bit Win7.

Go for it!

win 7 64bit makes its own 32bit folder (known as x86 folder. x86 = 32bit) that it installs all 32bit applications and games to and there wont be much of a problem at all unless the games are ancient.

ive not had one problem yet with anything, although there are some older apps that wont work most stuff now is compatible or there are other alternatives just as good if not better.

ive not had one problem yet with anything, although there are some older apps that wont work most stuff now is compatible or there are other alternatives just as good if not better.

+1! Been running Win7 Pro x64 and the only game that I play that needed a bit of TLC was Diablo 2 and all that needed was setting it to use D3D.

Running New MoH, MoHAA and Spearhead, Empire:Total War on Windows 7 64bit with no problems. All latest drivers installed. Got a few problems tho' when I installed MS Samsung monitor drivers and latest Win 7 64 bit media centre updates.

been running vista and win7 64bit here since their release/beta and everything 32bit ive had runs fine on them :) the only issue ive ever had is that some reallllyyyyyy old games didnt want to run as they assume its window NT and really dont want to work straight away. but there usually are patches/fixes for these sorts of things :)

oh and as mentioned depending on what hardware ya use some really old stuff wont want the drivers to work on it s they never even thought about 64bit back in the day and usually drivers for them were stopped being updated but ya might be lucky. i only say this as it took some effort to get an old webcam to work but after some digging i found a solution :)

I installed win7 onto my PC last night, and it was ridiculously easy in comparison with what installing XP was like. But i have a couple questions about it.

Are the drivers it installs for my GPU chipset etc the most up to date ones?

When i was installing i had the choice of my 2 HDD's so i selected one and it installed, but when i go into My Computer, i can't see the second HDD. Whats up with that?

I am already feeling the XP nostalgia, I dont like change :rolleyes:

Hi mate.

Id never ever trust what ever drivers even came on disk with a product.

I always go the the web site and download the latest. What ever is on Win 7 is probably a year old at least.

welcome to win7 :) where everything looks sexy xD

as for gpu drivers i found that usually they were upto date or the one just before so i always just installed from the manufacturers website to make sure ;) seeing as i use rivatuner, sometimes i need to use a beta driver as the main one is incompatible so yea. website is ya best bet as think the windows update lags behind a bit so might be a few weeks before it picks up the new update. :)

as for the hard drive... a bit more info is needed, was it a brand new drive? sata/ide? have you checked the connections? dont mean to sound patronising with my suggestion but when i did a rebuild before i was stumped for about 20 mins as to why i couldnt see a hard drive but i hadn't pushed the sata power in all the way... and boy did i seem stupid :p

it's possible its not active in windows but still present, can you see it listed in the bios/start up post screen?

can check if its in the device manager... go to <START> and type in "device manager" in the search and it should be listed, open it up and look in the "disk drives" subsection

failing that you cant see device manager go to START>CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>DEVICE MANAGER ;)

another option is to go to the start menu again and sear for "disk management" and open that program. i remember some drives you would have to activate and create a volume before "my computer" would be able to see them... and this is where you do it. in here if all is connected you should see:

c:
system reserve
<your other drive which you are looking for>

or something to that extent. now in here it will tell you the current status of the drive in question.

in the lower section it should have DISK0 with the sys res, and c: block chunks next to it stating what the partitions are for i.e. primary partition, boot etc etc and should say healthy ;)

below you should see DISK1 which will be your missing drive and it might say something like "unallocated volume" or something to that extent. again this depends if you have data on there or if it's a new drive... pretty much this is only for a new drive that has not been given a volume. so if it is an empty drive you can go ahead with formatting it to NTFS and then activating the drive, might take sometime to go through depending on your disk size. but then it should become visible in "My Computer".

hope you were able to follow this and that it was of some help :) let me know if ya ave any probs or the status of the drive ;)

It's an old WD 80GB Sata HDD. I really need access to it as it has my game serial numbers on it on a text file, and my itunes Library.

I know the HDD is connected correctly as when the Win7 install was querying where to install and i had the 2 HDD's available for selection.Although the WD HDD was Disk0 and the F3 (which has win7 on it) is Disk1, but i doubt that should be a problem.

I am at work at the moment, so wont be able to follow through your recoomendations until i get home, but i will try and embelish you with as much info as i can, while 'working'. ;)

James, thank you so much. I had to go the 'disk management' route and assign the drive a letter, but it's up and working now. My game serials are all accessible and my itunes library is smiling :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom