1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6491x (4mm, 6mm, 10mm) as Speaker Cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MapsonNo, Aug 15, 2005.

1. MapsonNo

MapsonNo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been round to a friends house to borrow some Van Damme cable he has for sale. I asked him what he replaced the cable with, to my surprise he has used runs of 6981x 10mm fixed wiring / conduit cables!

http://www.copper-cable.co.uk/products.php?dosearch=1&searchtype=product&searchfields[ID]=9

He has used a 1x5 metre run of black cable and a 1x5 metre run of red cable to create a 2 core speaker lead. Each core in the speaker lead has 7 strands (7 x 1.35mm) of annealed copper and is connected to a biwire speaker as follows:
    Red Cable/Positive:
    High Frequency: 3 strands ( 4.05mm CSA)
    Low Frequency: 4 strands ( 5.4 mm CSA )

Black Cable/Negative
    High Frequency: 3 strands ( 4.05mm CSA)
    Low Frequency: 5 strands ( 5.4 mm CSA )​
    While I didn't have time to listen to the setup he has replaced his Van Damme cable with this 'DIY' approach so he must be happy. The upside? It works out very cheap, 100 metres of this cable costs £35, each metre of speaker cable would work out at 70 pence.

Any comments or thoughts?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Cables of the same material and cross-section sound the same, no matter if it's speaker cable or solid core conduit wire. IMHO.
    By changing the cable your friend has possibly also changed the cross-section - unintentionally I guess - which could result in a different sound: the bigger the cross-section, the lower the resistance (assuming same material).