1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 bit upgrade

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by jelly, Jul 29, 2004.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    oks so at the mo i have a amd xp 2800 512 ram and on xp and im taking the plunge into 64 bit processors but am not too sure what my options are ive seen 64 bit processors for £700 but av also seen them for £100 what is the difference ??? and do i need a special verson of xp to run????so in the end i am after building a pc around a 64 bit chip im doing it bit by bit so over the next few monthsany ideas will be appreiciated thanks

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    At present the 64bit side of the chip is realy useless, and considering windows XP64 has been delayed again
    (possibly 2005 now) this dosent look likley to change soon.

The upside is these chips are also 32bit, and wickedly fast they are 2.

the 64fx chips have 1mb of cache on die. better virus protection and a couple of over goodies Dual channel ready

The socket 939 amb64s (non FX) have 512k cache but are dual channel memory ready and u dont have to use ECC memory as u did with the 754(and which had only a single memory controller).

I would only go for a socket 939 chip and motherboared

The nvidia nforce3 ultra chipsets look great and have an on chip raid controller(not all use this option though so be carefull as some have used the cheaper marvel chip which is rubbish and know 2 fail)
    Only problem is these are only just coming to the market also theres the issue of PCI express which will feature on AMB motherboareds soon as well so you may want just to wait a couple of mths to see which takes your fancy.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    I've just read in PCPlus magazine that they may not release the 64bit version of XP for general sale - it might be an OEM version only. The rumours are that it will ship with new systems and also with the purchase of an item of hardware (eg a hard disk). That way Microsoft will not have to cope with upgrades from XP 32bit to XP 64bit.

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Lets hope longhorne is released in both 64 and 32bit then