63 inch Samsung Plasma

S

Sam Carter

My company wants to buy either one of the following 3 plasma monitors. Which
is the best?

a) Fujitsu PDS-6101

b) NEC PlasmaSync 61MP1

c) Samsung 63 inch plasma. (any views on this?)

Appreciate any views on them. thanks

Sam

Hello Sam

Bit more info required on the intended use of the new plasma display - where is it going to live, how controlled or not is the lighting, what sources, how many viewing, how many hours a day, why such a big display and how do you want to control the system.

Best regards

Joe

Dear Joe,

Thank for the reply. To answer your questions, it will be used in the boardroom to watch DVD presentation/movies

Room is bright with a mild dimmer. But most of the time bright

About 5 hours a day viewing including the Normal Sky TV channels.

People viewing from 1 to 10. We want the biggest as there are no money contraints. Is the extra 2 inches worth it?

Hope you can help with your advice.

Originally posted by Sam Carter
...We want the biggest as there are no money contraints. Is the extra 2 inches worth it?

I think you've answered your own question there. ;)

You need to see them BUT you won't see them side by side.

For info Fujitsu use the NEC Plasma Glass.

In the earlier thread you said Fujitsu uses the NEC plasma gas tube. Is this true?

Thus would it be the same if I buy the NeC INSTEAD OF THE Fujitsu?

It probably wouldn't be the same. Think of it like two cars from differing manufacturers sharing a common engine. The performance from each car will be different dependant on the way the engine is utilised and how it works in relation to all the other parts surrounding it.

Gordon

Which 61 inch then has the best clarity, brightness and performance, LG, NEC or Fujitsu?

Or should my company wait for the 63 inch Samsung plasma.

Please give me your views.

Thanks

For the price of the new NEC PlasmaSync 61MP1

You could get a Projector system with control system
Dvd /Vcr /Surround sound /switching gear and still have change to put in the Av Engineers pocket for a pint!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam, Gordon is right about the diference possibly being large in performance. The Fujitsu has AVM supporting the picture output wizardry. Try looking at avsforum.com under the plasma threads, as there is a section on the big Fujitsu and a forum member/dealer called cineramax who will fill you in on the virtues of this panel - he's pretty approachable/vocal!!

Sam

Plenty of posts so obviously you boys are ready to pounce - I take it your trip to the states is going to be a tax deductible business benefit - you better factor that into your equation :)

I think AV Guy possibly has something similar to myself in mind. Why consider spending £11.5K+ on a single screen in your presentation suite without looking at other factors such as that troublesome lighting, sound, video, data and a control/interface system.

Also remember that any Plasma panel is only going to look as good as the source system - so you have to factor in everything down to good quality wiring, lighting, window shades, laptop plug in points etc...

Very few presentation suites that cater for an audience of ten + a presenter will have a single screen and I would look at using either:

50" plasma + front projection
50" plasma + front projection on a touch sensitive screen
50" plasma + rear projection
50" plasma + rear projection on a touch sensitive screen
50" plasma + 50" plasma - one for video + one for data

Any of these set-ups will give you far better flexibility and impact in a presentation - obviously I'm suggesting ideas without a brief on what it is or how you 'present'.

An interactive touch screen may not be the last word in video playback quality but certainly beats the pants of a single plasma display when it comes to interacting with your presentation and your audience.

So if you simply want the biggest plasma - go get the biggest on the market and ensure you budget for some good source kit. If you want to build a good presentation suite start with the room dimensions, a budget, a timetable, an inventory of current kit and a wish list from those who will be using the room for presentations.

Best regards

Joe

PS If money is no object why are you worrying about purchasing an unwarranted bit of kit from the USA!

I now see the logic of buying from the UK instead of the US. I guess the US is only good for small items like notebooks, TFT LCD monitors etc.

But plasma definitely has to be from the UK. Joe, do you do the 61 inch plasmas and how much ar eyou selling the NEC and Fujitsu including installation ie just hanging up on the wall (wall mounted) with just concealed wires to a Home Theatre All in one system (like the Sony DAV S800).

Also, you are in Scotland, do you do in London?

Sam

Hello Sam

Now I'm confused!

Your marrying of a 61" panel (or bigger|) and a Lifestyle DVD system leaves me wondering about your 'cost no object' budget.

The old HiFi adage of 'garbage in - garbage out' holds true in this setting too - if your overall system budget cant stretch past a sub £1K 'all-in-one' system then you should not be considering a 61" panel.

Encaser pointed you at Cineramax in the states and his 'approval' of the Fujitsu 61" model - that 'review' was based upon his experience using a $15K Revox DVD player - you cannot compare the replay quality of the Sony lifestyle system with that player.

You need to rebalance your system - set your overall budget and then look for the best 'system' not the biggest plasma display.

A 61" panel and the Sony DAV system will be a big let down and as others have previously pointed out you will probably want to give your digital set top a helping hand with an external processor at around £1,500.00 if you are considering displaying it on such a large display.

You need to down size your screen and marry up a much better quality DVD and audio system with a 50" panel or control your lighting and match up the better quality DVD and audio system with a projector to attain the bigger image you are after within your max budget.

Best regards

Joe

PS We cover all of the UK and Ireland as far as installs go - and we have our passports ready just in case we have to go further a field!

Thanks for your advice Joe but now, I am getting one for my home. My office has decided not to go ahead with the plasma idea.

I am however not heavy into sound. So a all in one system should be fine for my personal needs.

Do you really think an external processor is necessary.

Please give me a quotation for a 61 inch plasma panel and your installation work ie concealed wires and installation to my Sony DAV 800 system. Lighting is not a problem as I have a dimmer in my home and its more or less enough for me. I am not a professional AV enthusiast Joe and a simple plasma connected to my Sky box is more than enough.

Also I want to find out another thing, pardon my ignorance, how much would you charge for a good quality projector (pls choose one for me) to watch DVD and Sky channels, installing the projector to my ceiling, and fixing a electronically controlled screen.

I know you cannot give me an exact figure but please choose a resonable high quality projector and screen. My budget would be 10,000 pounds. I don't know anything about AV, so if there are any other devices necessary like a processor or progressive scan etc, please tell me if I need one.

Thanks

Sam

Hello Sam

So the office is sticking to the old VCR and 28" TV on a trolley :) we find you have to sell the 'concept' rather than the technology to the money men before a new Presentation suite is signed off - they have to see the benefit to the bottom line rather than the benefit to your potential customers eyes and ears.

Your simple tastes look like a pretty meaty system to me - a 61" Plasma display an/or a £10K projection system; sounds like a lot of 'simple' fun in your viewing room and a budget that many would kill for.

Probably best if you can mail me your room dimensions and we can take it from there.

Best regards

Joe

[email protected]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom