1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

625p on AE300 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Insp.Gadget, May 5, 2003.

1. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry if this has been covered but I can't unearth the definitive answer via the search and I don't want to shell out on a Phillips 963a if the Panny won't support it.

Is anyone succesfully getting 625p via component on a UK SOURCED AE300 using a PAL prog DVD player ? Is it noticeably better than interlaced and also how does it compare to 525p ?

Thanks all ;)

Edit : UK SOURCED

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a UK sourced PT-AE100EC and it definitely supports 625P. The AE300 should since its a successor to the AE100.

I also had a Philips 963SA but returned it because i was disappointed by the contrast in progressive scan.

Now I have a Harman Kardon DVD-25 which is PAL and NTSC progressive scan.

Progressive scan is much better than interlaced. Interlaced looks all soft, out of focus and suffers from jaggies.

3. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Jonny, that's just the kind of answer I was looking for (and exactly what the bank manager didn't want to hear !!).

So you would say that the difference between PAL interlaced and prog scan is quite noticeable and worth buying a player just to support it ? I already have a Sony DAVS880 which does NTSC Prog Scan, I was considering the Limit from RS, and hope I get a good one which doesn't suffer from the problems peeps have had on here.

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there is a noticable difference between Interlaced and PS. I don't own many PAL discs but needed a new player. I mainly wanted NTSC PS but got PAL PS for the odd R2 release. Is it worth it??? Kinda depends how many R2/R4 discs you have. I have 5 so in my case, No.

I got the Harman Kardon DVD-25 for £300 from www.practicalhifi.co.uk which supports both PAL/NTSC PS and is in the same price bracket as the Philips.

The Philip 963SA I returned had poor contrast and lots of posterization effects. The contrast and brightness was not very adjustable.

I disregarded the Limit after posts on here about a soft picture and build quality.

The Harman Kardon has better contrast than the Philips and brightness and contrast can be adjusted separately. Its damn ugly though.