• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

60ZT60 or 65VT50

GeraarGietaar

Standard Member
I posted this in the 2013 Panasonic Topic but I guess it got swamped so I'll try again:

I currently own a TH-50PZ70.
Picture is still top notch, the blacks aside.
This is the only thing that bothers me.
So I'm thinking about pulling the plug on a TX-P65VT50.
It's €2499 at Coolblue
I was thinking about the 60ZT60 but €4000 is a bit to steep for me.
I don't thing the difference in PQ would justify the €1500 difference.
Unless someone can convince me I'm wrong

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
GeraarGietaar said:
I posted this in the 2013 Panasonic Topic but I guess it got swamped so I'll try again:

I currently own a TH-50PZ70.
Picture is still top notch, the blacks aside.
This is the only thing that bothers me.
So I'm thinking about pulling the plug on a TX-P65VT50.
It's €2499 at Coolblue
I was thinking about the 60ZT60 but €4000 is a bit to steep for me.
I don't thing the difference in PQ would justify the €1500 difference.
Unless someone can convince me I'm wrong

Ive not seen a ZT I know a few retailers/dealers and some review sites have and the general thought is its stunning maybe a Kuro killer.
But for a huge chunck less the 65" VT50 offers a stunning image is 5" bigger and keeps 1500 in your pocket.
Personally I cant afford a ZT it is for me a dream. If I could it would have to offer a major leap in PQ over the VT50 to make me want to spend the extra on it.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Depends on you, for most people out there it'll probably look about the same, if your an enthusiast and have the money you may well see quite a difference.
Not seen one myself but if I had the money Id be wanting to demo one and the VT65, the bonded panel alone should make a difference I would expect to see myself.

If the non-production model I looked at has the same body its very slick and as thin as an LED set if that helps at all.

GeraarGietaar

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies.
The most obvious comparison will be to my current set and I hope even the 65VT50 would be a step up in the blacks department.
I'm sure the ZT60 will be excellent but I don't think it'll be possible to view the ZT60 side by side with the VT50 for a comparison.
It might well be the VT50 won't be available any more when the ZT60 arrives.
Decisions, decisions.
I'm in no hurry and won't make a decision within the next two weeks so I still have some time to make up my mind.

GeraarGietaar

Standard Member
So it's practically a no-brainer then :D
I see it as a temporary upgrade before going to 4k and possibly Oled or whatever will be the next best thing.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
So it's practically a no-brainer then :D
I see it as a temporary upgrade before going to 4k and possibly Oled or whatever will be the next best thing.

lol
Same for me this year, next set needs to last me until 4k OLED is affordable and tested. 4k LCD doesn't interest me as I like plasma.:)

micks_address

if i had the space id defintely be looking at the zt series but even after a rejig of my speakers a 50" set is going to be pretty big.. so im looking at the vt range later in the summer

lol
Same for me this year, next set needs to last me until 4k OLED is affordable and tested. 4k LCD doesn't interest me as I like plasma.:)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
if i had the space id defintely be looking at the zt series but even after a rejig of my speakers a 50" set is going to be pretty big.. so im looking at the vt range later in the summer

Yes I was after a 60" ideally as 65" is a tad big, may still get a 65" VT65 if the price drops enough in 6-8 months. I likely either endup with a price reduced F8500 at 65" or a 55" VT. Mrs would be happier if I got a 55", hell she'd be happier still if I just kept the 51 I have now lol.

Malcolm 011

uum interesting, i wouldn't get the ZT, I would get the VT65'' 2012 ... because if you're after a tv as good as the ZT, then you might be better off getting the additional 5'' and from a tv close to it in performance

The 65VT 2012 is really dropping in price, so keep an eye on google and snap it up in 2 months time...... the ZT? no wait for OLED.

Dont buy any new tv now...always wait for prices to drop, that is if you can hold out !!!!

when will Panny stop selling plasmas ?..... now this is very interesting, i say they wont, they'll dump LED instead

the ZT is a limited run tv.... but not if they all sell out instantly, because that will shock them, they'll change their minds and carry on making them, because the manufacturing tooling which costs a fortune, is still there; idol doing nothing....burning a hole in your wallet

it's marketing hype, buy the Kuro killer while you can, no i dont believe it.... i bet it'll sell out in Europe, especially Russia, Germany and France

Last edited:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
uum interesting, i wouldn't get the ZT, I would get the VT65'' 2012 ... because if you're after a tv as good as the ZT, then you might be better off getting the additional 5'' and from a tv close to it in performance

The 65VT 2012 is really dropping in price, so keep an eye on google and snap it up in 2 months time...... the ZT? no wait for OLED.

Dont buy any new tv now...always wait for prices to drop, that is if you can hold out !!!!

when will Panny stop selling plasmas ?..... now this is very interesting, i say they wont, they'll dump LED instead

the ZT is a limited run tv.... but not if they all sell out instantly, because that will shock them, they'll change their minds and carry on making them, because the manufacturing tooling which costs a fortune, is still there; idol doing nothing....burning a hole in your wallet

it's marketing hype, buy the Kuro killer while you can, no i dont believe it.... i bet it'll sell out in Europe, especially Russia, Germany and France

Two years tops, this years range has been reduced as will next year. I can't see them making a 2015 plasma not to any large scale anyway. R&D stopped with regard to plasma last year, they want to focus more on OLED.

LCD funding has been reduced and they're only continuing with LG panels.

idbrunt

Trouble is you can wait and wait and never buy and I wouldn't expect OLED prices to be affordable for these screen sizes for a few years.

No, for me I'm changing my 500A this summer and will probably keep new tv for 4 or 5 years. Most likely ZT65 but will be interested to compare 65VT60 and Samsung F8500 too (hopefully at TPS shootout in June). :)

Malcolm 011

Trouble is you can wait and wait and never buy and I wouldn't expect OLED prices to be affordable for these screen sizes for a few years.

No, for me I'm changing my 500A this summer and will probably keep new tv for 4 or 5 years. Most likely ZT65 but will be interested to compare 65VT60 and Samsung F8500 too (hopefully at TPS shootout in June). :)

well if what Scooby sais is right then you're gonna need something until OLED drops in price, so i'd get the 2013 VT65'' or the 2012.... now me personally, i wouldn't go crazy so i'd get the 2012 VT65 in 2 months.

i dont think you'll need to wait 4 years anyway...because OLED will drop in price fairly quickly.... especially if Panasonic dont sell any other type of telly anymore!

Pioneer = far too expensive, they therefore went bust, or nearly did
Panasonic to survive and prosper = must be cheap, definitely cheap, they have to make money quickly to recoop all that investment

there is no way Panasonic will start a marketing campaign selling OLED tvs in 2014 at a base starting price of 6 grand...they'll not sell any, Joe Average will choak to death on his meat pie :laugh:

they'll have a range of prices from 1 grand right up to 12 grand.... 1 grand for say a 40'', all the way up to 85'' :smashin:

that Pioneer Kuro was a joke, i couldn't care less how good it was, i wasn't going to pay 4 to 6 grand for it, i got the 55'' Sony RPTV instead.... Panny will realise this.

the problem is, you and i will want the best OLED... just like now, so all of us here will probably go for the top end models anyway..... Joe Average will pick the cheap ones, just as long as Panny do indeed sell cheap ones as well, then they'll be ok

panasonic are the best tvs in the world, so i'm deffo getting a panny, i would never get that LG OLED, i'm a sad git Panny fanboy:thumbsup:

a 65'' Panny Vierra OLED with 4K and 3D, now that sounds cool

Last edited:

idbrunt

Yes will be very interesting to see what the OLED prices will be when these sets start to be launched en masse.

But I'm not waiting for it and will most likely go ZT65 if it's the best of this year's sets as want to maximise PQ (hopefully with Lumagen too). The Pioneer has been fantastic and worth the money in my opinion (even if was quite expensive at the time but by all accounts was underpriced for the technology).

All depends on each person's priorities I suppose and how soon you plan on changing but as I won't be changing for a while, will look to get the best currently going.

Malcolm 011

good luck to you, because it'll definitely be excellent, there's no need to see it first just buy it.

Because Panasonic can be trusted and that's quite important, it's screen will be easy to clean too, because it's flush right across

idbrunt

Cheers Malcolm. I'm sure you're right but just want to make comparison between the 2 models before making final decision. Couldn't bring myself to buy blind!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom