60p at 1/60 shutter vs 60i at 1/60 shutter - Panasonic X900

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by TheSky, Mar 9, 2013.

1. TheSky

TheSky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was wondering which of these two options would be better if shooting with decent lighting. I understand that 60i at 1/60 shutter produces more motion blur than 60p at 1/120. But 60i at 1/60 also allows more light to enter the sensors so you would get better detail in the shot than you'd get at 60p at 1/120. But by cutting the 60p shutter speed in half to 1/60, you'd also be able to take in more light than 60p at 1/120. I was wondering what would yield a better balance of smoothness and detail when recording video, 60i at 1/60 or 60p at 1/60. Thanks! :)

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

There would be little difference in low light situations. Extra noise in low light would also likely blur the differences between interlaced and progressive acquisition. Progressive should have the edge due to the higher bit-rate and easier to compress frames, but in really low light noise is the biggest issue.

For really low light conditions you could drop to 1/30th, the camera will do this automatically in auto if low light mode is enabled.

You can always test and give it a go if you have the camera. Theory and practice can often be a contradiction.

Regards

Phil

3. TheSky

TheSky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I tested it out and shooting at 60i at 1/30 seemed to produce a brighter image than the same shot at 60p at 1/60. As for motion blur and detail, I couldn't quite tell from that test. But I'm going to stick with 60i at 1/60 until I get a chance to try different tests with different variables. Thanks again!

4. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I suspect it depends on the subject motion. However, as almost never are two scenes the same, it may take a lifetime of experience to know which to use.
    I've always used "i" - but only because my camera doesn't do "p" - at least it removes on variable..... sort of.