60cm dish on 19.2E Astra, very low Hi band signal strength and very good Lo band

liamj2003

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,:hiya:

Despite putting a meter on it and trying to tweek the alignment to no further avail, Hi band is only reading a 2% signal where as Lo band is reading 63% signal, and only receiving Lo band channels, other channels which I assume are on Hi band read No signal is the LNB at fault here?

Many thanks for your input!

Liam :)

Last edited:
how old is the lnb.. how old is the dish

Last edited by a moderator:
We know that it's not a universal LNB, and that you need to get it replaced.
It's doing very well after that much time to work at all, so there's a chance it will be possible to replace it rather than the whole thing.

Last edited:
We know that it's not a universal LNB, and that you need to get it replaced.
It's doing very well after that much time to work at all, so there's a chance it will be possible to replace it rather than the whole thing.

Hi, How do u know its not universal? what type of LNB should I get? It needs to be a dual one as want a PVR on it at some point.

Many thanks

circa 1997 ,Both dish and LNB I think, what do u think it is?

as logiciel says just stick a new lnb on it [they will be universal] - a very old lnb will miss or be very low on high band ... you might have more problems if it's all rusted ..

That's OK, and because I had the same situation. The dishes and LNBs were for analogue TV. Digital has the two bands as you know, that the receiver signals to the universal LNB to select according to the frequency selected. The old LNB doesn't have the choice, it has only the low band, so nothing happens and the channel doesn't get received. What you can get to replace it depends on the type of dish, of LNB, and of fitting, and it might be easier to replace the whole thing, not least for the rusting reason that Pedro mentioned while I was typing! You could get a local installer to look at it and tell you. A Sky dish with the normal quad LNB would be fine as a replacement and wouldn't cost much. That's if the high band channels are important to you of course.

That's OK, and because I had the same situation. The dishes and LNBs were for analogue TV. Digital has the two bands as you know, that the receiver signals to the universal LNB to select according to the frequency selected. The old LNB doesn't have the choice, it has only the low band, so nothing happens and the channel doesn't get received. What you can get to replace it depends on the type of dish, of LNB, and of fitting, and it might be easier to replace the whole thing, not least for the rusting reason that Pedro mentioned while I was typing! You could get a local installer to look at it and tell you. A Sky dish with the normal quad LNB would be fine as a replacement and wouldn't cost much. That's if the high band channels are important to you of course.

OK many thanks that clear it up, Old style LNBs dont receive Hi band channels, right?

Might look at putting a motor on the new 60cm dish so will stick with the 60cm for that purpose.

Thanks once again!, Nice setup you have there btw! 3D 46" nice!:smashin:

In terms of a new LNB you can get a Zinwell Quad LNB (the ones that Sky seem to use these days) off eBay for £3.50 and that works with 19.2E great.

OK many thanks that clear it up, Old style LNBs dont receive Hi band channels, right?

Might look at putting a motor on the new 60cm dish so will stick with the 60cm for that purpose.

Universal lnb's shift the frequency of high band chanels down into the low band by switching the local oscillator in the prescence of a 22KHz tone.

That's OK, and that's right - I have two of them and haven't bothered to replace them.
If you're going for a motor it would probably be better to go above 60cm, depending on what you want to receive.
You'd be fine with the Sky type LNB on the current dish though, as long it isn't rusted out.
Thanks for thet - the TV is a good one, like the other Sammys, and like the various satellite machines.

What's the highest frequency you got

you can get a lot out of a 60 or a sky z1 or z2 dish on a motor - gets a lot better over 80-85cm though

It should be OK with everything up to 11,700 and most of the free channels on 19E are below that.

It should be OK with everything up to 11,700 and most of the free channels on 19E are below that.

Band frequencies don't actually stop dead - if you view a band on a spectrum it tapers off above & below & low band crosses over into high band, so it depends what the old lnb is & what the characteristics of the tuner are & the lnb frequency settings that were used that can give different reception results outside the normal lnb frequency.. with analogue you'd see an obvious white or black snow noise at extremes, but with digital & good error checking etc. that could be a solid picture- eventually it gets too low too far outside the frequency.

Yes, that's the theoretical figure but I got variable results on what actually came in.

you can get a Zinwell Quad LNB (the ones that Sky seem to use these days) off eBay for £3.50

Amazing. How can they sell them for so much less than the cost of manufacturing?

Oh, wait, I know. In Greek they are called "klemmeno". ;)

Last edited:
Amazing. How can they sell them for so much less than the cost of manufacturing?

Oh, wait, I know. In Greek they are called "klemmeno". ;)

did you just spell it wrong & edit it ..

Martin.. .... ya slipin' ...:facepalm:

Two words for the same idea - as in kleptomaniac.

Last edited:
No, I used the word for "thief" then decided that the alternative made more sense as it described the item rather than the person.

Stolen... ?

I think you just get lower costs with higher volumes with far more sky installs by number & then there's over supply - a factory tries to predict a product's market - gets it wrong or other companies do the same at the same time & there's a glut - bit like coffee/ oil etc.. when we ran out of motors & so did most of the UK we had to pay over the odds- when there's been a very good supply you can see them drop lower.

All true and Sky might very well get a good price by buying huge volumes. But Sky don't sell LNBs.

I know that UK wholesalers are buying very small volumes, which don't attract that sort of discount. In addition, there's a sensible lower price limit, below which you might as well recycle the product. £3.50 is ludicrously low because it means that the seller is buying for, say, £2.50 (even if he makes no profit he still has to cover his eBay and Paypal or credit card fees). So, if we assume that shipping costs from China or wherever are as low as 50p per LNB, that means the product price from the manufacturer was only £2. He needs to make a profit so that reduces the parts cost plus labour plus factory overheads to just, say, £1.50.

I worked in manufacturing for many years and I can assure you that such a price is unrealistically low, even from China.

All of this assumes no "middle man". In other words, the seller is buying direct from the factory and he's making no (or virtually no) profit. Also, if he's buying such huge volumes, he must be paying import duty and be VAT registered and adding 20%. The whole scenario is so unlikely that I don't believe it.

The one in post #9 is for Sky dishes, which the Ross isn't.
There are plenty that are OK for it, so why are you so concerned about this particular one that isn't?

Last edited:
Can this LNB be used on the Ross 65cm dish from B&Q? I hope it can!

you can get them to fit with a bodge .. the neck is smaller than the normal 40mm lnb holder on that dish & it has some ridges ... but you can file the ridges & increase the neck diameter with tape or whatever .. the insides are optimised to a sky dish but they'll still work OK ..

what satellite is it for?

I am interested in the mentioned £3.50 lnb because I want to upgrade the the current Ross kit I have and that at £3.50 the quad lnb is a bargain.

I know that the one mentioned is really meant for Sky but I wondered whether it could be used for the ross dish.

I am not very clued up on this area but it seems like, (on ebay at least) that the non sky lnb's are more expensive, for £5 you can get a sky dish quad lnb but just a single output universal one.

If anyone can point one in the direction of cheap ross compatible lnb's, preferably quad that would be a great help.

Currently I have the ross dish pointed at hotbird, with the supplied lnb. I just wanted to have a go at adding an lnb for 19.2e. I could also go down the monoblock route but again, I am not sure what fits my dish and what doesn't. The cost of a quad Ross lnb is more than what I paid for the whole kit initially, £24.99 vs £25.58

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom