606 without feet?

papa_lazarou

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, can anybody please tell me the height of the 606 with the feet removed?

Thanks in advance,

Papa.

It'll be a couple of inches - after you have sieved through the remains of your burnt down house :)

Seriously - you can't do this - the amp draws the cool air in through the bottom!

Steve

Why is that a useful piece of information to anyone?

If you remove the feet from a 606, it will shut down in a matter of minutes.

Agreed with steve, the feet are there for a reason .. IMOP Do not take them off ..

Bad idea Indeed :rolleyes:

Want a bet? With the bottom vents covered, it is impossible for the amp to cool itself at all.

My amp - in its adequately ventilated location becomes unbearably hot after ten minutes at 0dB.

I'd give it a minute or two at the most with the vents covered before it goes into thermal protection.

Last edited:
Want a bet? With the bottom vents covered, it is impossible for the amp to cool itself at all.

My amp - in it's adequately ventilated location becomes unbearably hot after ten minutes at 0dB.

I'd give it a minute or two at the most with the vents covered before it goes into thermal protection.
:thumbsup:

What amp do you have?

max i got (very hot day with feet) on mine was 60c not seen this since , onkyo though did say normal operating temp .. but it does run cooler than a Ax10i

just bring up temps next time you run at 0db see what it says:thumbsup:

Mine is about the same. Too hot to comfortably leave your hand on - but it's designed to work like that.

One you block the holes underneath and there is no air flowing through the unit, that is when trouble will start. If you look through the lid, you can see that the heatsinks run right through the middle - with the bottom covered, there is no other entry point for cool air and it will just sit there getting hotter and hotter.

The other thing that worries me about removing the feet is that the only reason you would want to do that is if you have limited space. Clearance above and below is critical on those units.

Approx 16cm

Thanks to Oily for answering the question! to all the others please do not jump to conlusions. the amp was going to be sat on a grill set into the shelf which would have given it the airflow it needed to cool. Unfortunately 16cm still isn't enough space to do what I wanted to do.

Now since this post has upset so many people, can anybody point me in the right direction of an amp that isn't so high, without breaking the bank ala Harmon Kardon.

Thanks again in advance.

Papa.

so what height would be good?

I was looking for something around 15cm, I know this is pretty small for an amp and probably won't get anything. And obviously I would prefer not to take the feet off it but it is always an option.

Think I will probably just end up sitting the amp on top of the unit although I really wanted it in the shelf.

My amp - in its adequately ventilated location becomes unbearably hot after ten minutes at 0dB.

I use mine without feet for hours on end most evenings without it going into 'thermal protection'
Still want to bet? :rolleyes:

Well the x05 series must be different then because if you take the feet off, the unit would be sitting directly on its two fan vents - thus rendering the fans completely ineffective.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom