60" Samsung E6500, Panasonic 55"ST50 or 55"VT50 Where I'm at.

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Scooby2000, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    First thoughts.

1. Panasonic still aren't in my good books for several reasons after owning 3 models.

2. Panasonic's last year still had DFC worse than Samsung, reading about green blobs(only read this a couple of times online) The band may annoy me.

3. OK so Ill look at the E6500, looks good for the money, last year had less DFC and better uniformity. This year less reported issues of IR, Slightly better motion? fantastic filter and lower lag. This set looks a bargain at 60" very good reviews with improved black levels and very good calibration results in our review.
    Problem is the blacks aren't as deep still(miss my V20 black level) there's more dithering than on the Panasonics, out the box results aren't that great compared to the VT50(to be expected as its top of range v mid) calibrated though very good with reference greyscale but still not a reference set. What do I want more, a bigger set? Or the best set 5" smaller? A classic conundrum.

4. Why go ST50 at 55" if I can afford a VT50? is it worth the extra? Hmm demos nearer the time needed I think. Though the VT50 has more calibration control so better result?. 65" is too big so 65"ST is out, so should that count out the ST as the 55" has no plus point over a 55" VT50, apart from price(another reason Im not going 65").

5. Im thinking VT now but still concerned about the band and DFC, I think Im ruling out the E6500 as I won't be able to demo, 60" is very tempting but still the set has things Im not sure off and don't know if I want to risk the hassle of returning a 60" set. I have a Samsung now and its very good but after havingit some time now Im not sure I like the Samsung image. A lot of the time it looks amazing, especially for what I paid, though sometimes it can remind me of LCD and Im noticing more either over time and Im sure the black level has risen a couple of times(still cant measure this yet though).
    Do I want to risk Panasonic again though, its a tough one.

6. Im being drawn more and for to getting a VT50, this set needs to last a few years until OLED or maybe even an improved plasma. Looking at 5 years though so maybe getting the best I can now is worth doing, though not if it has issues tha'll bug me, also the Samsung has lower lag, I need to decide what's more important, gaming or films.... Think my days of fps online will be gone in a couple of years so I may regret making that an important part of my decision now.

Welcome to my mind lol.
    I have a while before buying, months in fact, no need to panic yet.
    I just thought Id post this as I know there's others in the same or similar position.

I will be calibrating whatever set I get and getting a pro cal done, I wont be getting a Lumi so that's out of the equation.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
  3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    OK ruled out the ST as if going Panasonic I may as well get the reference set(hoping price will be down enough by the time I buy).

So VT50 or E6500. I'll hate myself for doing it as Panasonic are not in my good books still, but the draw of a reference set and the advice of those I respect on here it looks like Ill go VT50. If I could demo the E6500 Id maybe change my mind, but as I can't its down to the Panasonic to loose me when I demo one. If I don't like what I see Ill just have to stay with my D6900 another year until a manufacturer makes a set worthy of my money.....and a store stocks it so I can have a demo.

4. deblee

deblee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    tbh at 60" size I would go Samsung all day long, at 51" maybe not
    Don't get me wrong 0.01cd/m2 blacks sound nice an all but 0.02cd/m2 is none to shabby and tbh most of us use backlighting so the difference between the 2 is less pronounced anyway
    Dave Mackenzie said he felt the filter on the e6500 was an lcd killer in the sense it made it comparable to lcd in daylight viewing and coupled with lack of IR would mean it would make a good sensible purchase
    Panasonic still do not have per input settings (eg overscan is global:rolleyes:) and I much prefer the Samsung menus etc
    Build quality is a tad better on the Panasonics but the dfc and vertical band would drive me nuts, not saying Samsung are without faults but tbh the faults that they do have (brightness pops and fluctuating blacks) are a non issue imo, at least on the d8000 I had

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    The E6500 is a great sounding set indeed but not being able to demo is a problem for me. Also finding the D6900 I have now often doesn't have the characteristics I like. Sure the E6500 looks to be a huge improvement but Samsung and Panasonic have to a degree(all be it small) different characteristics, think I've realised after having both makes that I prefer Panasonic. I've also seen what good black levels look like, the V20 I had were very good, as was the GT30 though not quite as deep. Seeing a calibrated VT50 next to a calibrated ST showed me what Improvement missing. Also Improvement sure the black level on my D6900 is getting lighter, even with a back light its just not as deep now.

Im also noticing the dithering more(I am admittedly closer than ideal at the mo but still). If I can get to demo a E6500 I may still change my mind, also I've ruled out the ST50 as it and the Samsung seem mighty close in the reviews and I can't see enough pros in the ST over the E6500 to want to lose 5", where as the VT50 is reference in most areas and appears do deserve it. Like I say I'll be demoing it before buying as like you the band is off putting as is DFC, the V20 was awful with DFC. IR wise the E6500 sounds bullet proof though not all are having issues with the VT50, in fact not many seem to be. Im likely to keep the next set a few years to so gaming is as important as it was in the past, if it was the E6500 would likely be my choice.

I still have an open(ish) mind for now, just posting my thoughts for now.:)

6. deblee

deblee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    tbh on the d8000 I never noticed the dither, with Panasonic I noticed the dfc though and once you have seen clean motion (Samsung) the Panasonics are just not as good
    As I have said to you before the Samsungs at 51" do not have anywhere near the blacks of the Pannies regardless of what some owners say, no question IMO and a 0.02cd/m2 difference (st30 to d8000) to my eyes is a major difference, hence I would only go for a 60" Samsung myself
    IMO anything below 0.03cd/m2 is suitable for late night viewing (especially with backlighting also assisting)
    What characteristics do you prefer on the Panasonic then?

7. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Yeah Id only go 60" with the E6500.

Panasonic v Samsung hmmm well I've only had one Samsung and that's the set I have now the D6900. Its hard to describe really, the D6900 can look too close to an LCD at times, its a great set and Ill be calibration it before moving on. It just doesn't seem to have the depth and richness of the V20 and GT30 I had, likely partly to do with black level, but largely the dynamic range, my D6900 seems to be clipping whites more and though at times it can be nice to have a brighter image, it often looks flat and lifeless with some content. It has more cross talk in 3D and improvement noticingmre pops as the sets aging.

Also watching F1 in HD just doesn't look as good less detail visible on the cars and I just can't get the image to look right. Can't remember the race but one had a lot of white buildings and tents etc, they just bleached out on my set, no matter what I did I just couldn't get it to look right.
    Improvement hoping the E6500 improves in these areas but without a demo I dont want to risk it.

8. deblee

deblee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I get what you mean but IMO its the black level that makes the richness, in the day/early evening the D8000 was the equal, lights out not so (51" though)
    The thing is I suppose your compromising somewhere along the line in whatever you choose IMO
    Regardless of what other posters are saying I see dfc on the new Panasonic's and tbh I also see the 50hz bug, I know you said you never saw it on your gt30 but unless I had IFC on max I could always see it, even the reviewers say the same thing

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    50Hz visibility depends a lot on what your viewing I think. The D8000 is a fine set my parents have a 51" I like my Samsung a lot but prefer the Panasonic's for look. Its largely personal last at the end of the day, Improvement by no means ruling out a E6500 if I could demo one. Agree its always a compromise which is why Improvement still open to ether, it depends what each set will make me compromise on. DFC is my big bug as it ruined my V20 as the HD picture was stunning, I have a big hang up on black level due to how good the V20 was and due to the GT30 hate the idea of poor uniformity. Owning a Samsung D6900 now has made me miss deeper blacks and having a better dynamic range, whilst its nice having a brighter set it seems to come at the cost of more clipping on my set. I will say though that at times this set is stunning and for 600 quid its very hard to complain.