60" + Rear Projection

mrapbp

Guys,

I am looking at buying an HD 50" plasma and thought it worth checking of there was any decent 60"+ RP TV worth looking at?

Dont really know much about RP TV's other than you can get more TV for your money but there must be a downside I guess!!

Also what is the pic quality like compaired to a 50" HD ready plasmas?

Cheers!

leeboy2k3

Novice Member
Apparently the u.s. equivalent of the sony 55" is 60" which would be the best bang for the buck if it could be imported cheap:rolleyes: .. personally I would avoid any dlp's around that size as they wont be up to that wow factor samsungs 63" plasma any good?..anybody?

arfster

You're right, at least wrt UK DLPs. However, US DLP models are a generation ahead, and some have plasma/LCoS performance.

As for importing from the US - ouch. Delivering a 50kg box and then paying 20%ish import tax is going to hurt.

arfster

The JVC 70" UK model is a lastgen 720p, whereas the Sony is 1080p and has much higher contrast - and a silly price tag. I think perhaps Sony have priced the 70" for a premium money-no-object market, because there's no way it needs to cost that much. The 55" is much more reasonably priced for its size.

Another option might be the full front projector route. Although 1080p ones are still way overpriced, there are several superb 720p projector units for under £1200, and decent screens for a few hundred (there's a seller on ebay who does £100ish motorised screens that people are raving about).

mrapbp

have just moved away from a PJ setup so am looking for the biggest possiblke TV I can find (afford....)

The JVC 70" UK model is a lastgen 720p, whereas the Sony is 1080p and has much higher contrast - and a silly price tag. I think perhaps Sony have priced the 70" for a premium money-no-object market, because there's no way it needs to cost that much. The 55" is much more reasonably priced for its size.

Another option might be the full front projector route. Although 1080p ones are still way overpriced, there are several superb 720p projector units for under £1200, and decent screens for a few hundred (there's a seller on ebay who does £100ish motorised screens that people are raving about).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom