Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

60" Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Simon Coates, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Simon Coates

Simon Coates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know when Panasonic or Pioneer are going to launch 60" Plasmas in the UK??? I've seen the LG one - it makes 42" plasmas look like a portable!!! However to LG's picture isn't good at all - it's dull and washed out.

I've cut out a 60" cardboard plasma and hung it on the wall !!! Even that looks good :eek:)

Thanks

Simon

2. mondial

mondial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know. I was thinking of buying the LG 60" until I saw your post.

3. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon,

Pioneer have a 60" (61"?) PS on it's way. I have heard from a friend that the 84" PS that's comming out (not sure what make) is in fact two screens joined together. You can see a join down the middle.

Happy shopping, Miles.

4. j_smit

j_smit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer have a 61" in the states with no plans to bring out in the UK (for the time being).

The 84" is huge and, from the spec I have seen, doesn't have the resolution that would be commanded to make the most of a screen that size. And yes, it is just 4 (not two!) 42" screens joined together and I am also told (very reliably) that you can see the joins.

It works on the same idea as the old 100" screen that were flying about for a while.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Simon

Have you considered the Fujistu PDS6101ED? - its been around a while now but still a brilliant performer if you want a big plasma screen.

No info from Pioneer or Panasonic on anything bigger than the current 50" displays for the foreseeable future - I think the Pioneer 61" that's available in the US possibly uses the Fujitsu glass.

Have you considered a 50" plasma for day time viewing and an LCD or DLP projector for night time viewing!

Best regards

Joe

6. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone is interested Currys at Leeds (on the buisness park opposite Ikea) has a LG 60" on display! Yes it is HUGE! And yes the picture is not great!

7. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I saw a 80" plus Plasma at CEBIT this week and it is indeed 4 screens stuck together, the joins are very noticeable but it still looked very impressive

8. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that Curry's usually don't have a clue about supplying a decent source to demo their plasmas.

For example the plasmas they have on display here in Teesside are mostly fed by a RF :eek: feed to the external tuner box. Yeuck! No wonder they look dire...

mike